Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Idle Speed Control (ISC)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-06, 10:11 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Speed Control (ISC)

Anyone with SC400 having idle problem? I have in my LS400 recently and got a 95 SC400 ISC from JamesN. I found out the SC400 (at least 95) is slightly different from the LS400. The LS400 is a two parts. ISC and the housing. A very good article from Planetsoarer on repairing the ISC. However, in the SC400 the isc is NOT repairable. The SC400 ISC is one unit and unable to seperate the housing from the ISC. This is just a FYI. Perhaps i can take some pics and compare them for you guys. My suggestion would be if you see a ISC from a LS400. Buy it and keep it. They are hot part to get.
Old 05-09-06, 05:15 AM
mousiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lextreme
Anyone with SC400 having idle problem? I have in my LS400 recently and got a 95 SC400 ISC from JamesN. I found out the SC400 (at least 95) is slightly different from the LS400. The LS400 is a two parts. ISC and the housing. A very good article from Planetsoarer on repairing the ISC. However, in the SC400 the isc is NOT repairable. The SC400 ISC is one unit and unable to seperate the housing from the ISC. This is just a FYI. Perhaps i can take some pics and compare them for you guys. My suggestion would be if you see a ISC from a LS400. Buy it and keep it. They are hot part to get.
WIll the ISC from the LS400 fit the SC400 since the LS400 is two parts and the SC is one?

I'm not having an idle problem, but a hesitation problem between 1000 - 1500 rpm. A member refered me to that link. I was going to have him check it out, but if that link doesn't apply to my 95 SC400 I'll probably have to buy a new one.

Mousiee
Old 05-09-06, 07:05 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

I think I was quoted about $750 brand new from the dealer. Ouch.... The SC400 (I only have a 95) is none repairable. Either you get a used one from the SC400 or LS400 would work too. LS400 is repairable. Try this...

* Turn on your engine
* Turn on the AC
* Drive the car

If you experience any hesitation during a stop, then its most likely be a ISC. Good luck repairing. This problem will be worst if you run FI.
Old 05-16-06, 04:56 AM
mousiee
Pole Position

I had my mechanic clean both the VAF and ISC, but he wasn't able to let them dry completely. He told me the check engine light would come on and bring the car back so he could turn the ligh off. The CEL and TRAC Off came on and the car would stall under acceleration. After driving about ten minutes on the highway the stalling went away, and the CEL went out. I thought all was good until I let off the trottle. That's when the CEL came on followed by the TRAC Off light. The crazy thing is the light go out when the engine has a load on it, but comes back on when I left off the trottle, whether I left off the trottle or sitting at the light. Even when I'm at a standstill and I turn the steering wheel the light will go out, but come back on when I let it go.

Also, when I first start the car the CEL does not come on, but once it warms up and the idle comes down the CEL comes on followed by the TRAC Off light.

Does anyone have any insight on what's going on?

Mousiee
Old 05-18-06, 09:24 AM
mousiee
Pole Position

Update

Mechanic replaced Air Flow Meter. She's better than before. Absolutely no hesitation.