Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is anyone running NOS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-06, 03:14 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Is anyone running NOS?

I seem to be one of the few that have been running a 100hp-150hp dry nos system on an SC400 Lexus for a long time now. Is there any other nos guys out their and if so how do you like the juice? It's been great for me for well over a year now... Makes the car come to life...wheels are spinning, hardly ever lose a race, etc... all for under $1500 installed and tuned for a pro job. Well under $700 for a complete setup if you do it yourself.... The other advantage with nos is that it allows your engine to remain in stock form, no trouble with turbo tunning, breakdowns, etc.... Just as reliable as stock...

Did you know that the IUZ...Lexus V8 motors are the perfect engines for nos applications, I kid you not... The blue printing and percision engineering of the Lexus engine is ideal for nos.... Unfortunately you cannot push the HP on the Lexus's to lets say over 450hp, that is all the stock tranny can take before giving up the ghost, I believe the stock engine (pistons) can handle just a little more HP then the tranny before giving way.... Just thought I would share my findings with you all...

I believe Nos systems are the most cost effective way to gain serious horsepower...Just want to throw that out there for those of you that don't have the money or know how for a forced air induction setup.... You want 400hp+ for $1500... It's out their and it is safe....
Attached Thumbnails Is anyone running NOS?-hpim0324.jpg  

Last edited by jibbby; 04-09-06 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-09-06, 03:32 PM
jibbby

This is also a picture of my 1992 Lexus Sc400 motor running the nos system.....
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-06, 03:36 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

you can supercharge the sc300 for ~$1,200 . I prefer to have the power available all the time, but it's cool you like your setup the way it is . I'm in the midst of completing my na-t guide, which should make it a LOT easier for everyone to go na-t and not have any problems like I did.
Old 04-09-06, 03:53 PM
jibbby

I agree the turbo or supercharger setup is the best for daily driving and the power is always available... However the power is also available all time as well with a nos system as long as your bottle is full and your system is armed.. These 15lb nos bottles last a very long time on a 100hp shot.... Also there is no delay in power like a turbo, when the nos kicks in it is instant power to the rear wheels. It hits hard unlike a turbo or supercharger where the power is quick but still gradually increases.... I believe a 400hp nos lexus would beat out a 400hp supercharger or turbo lexus (same cars) 0-60mph..... Even with all that said, I would still prefer to be supercharged, but the nos is working just fine for me...

The most important fact that is not being mentioned is that it is very difficult to turbocharge or supercharge the SC400... There is simply not enough room under the hood like the SC300's unless you perform an electric fan swap like I already did to free up space, etc..... I am in the process of figuring out a way to supercharge but I need to first be able to support the desired hp on the drivetrain as I am now already pushing the limits.... One step at a time....
Attached Thumbnails Is anyone running NOS?-hpim0325.jpg  

Last edited by jibbby; 04-09-06 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-09-06, 04:41 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jibbby
Also there is no delay in power like a turbo, when the nos kicks in it instant power to the rear wheels. It hits hard unlike a turbo or supercharger where the power is quick but still gradually increases.... I believe a 400hp nos lexus would beat out a 400hp supercharger or turbo lexus (same cars) 0-60mph...
There are suprcharger systems for the 1uz-fe engines in the sc400. But, I have to disagree with your comment about turbo Delay and you saying that a NOS car of same horsepower would beat a turbocharged sc300. If you size your turbo for your low-end power and design your entire turbo system with the appropriate mods for your power goal, you can achieve linear power as well as a broad torque range. Imagine the following dyno graph for a 400hp car..that is in my plans for the near future btw At only 5.5psi of boost it made 260rwhp / 250rwtq. We're estimating it will make ~400rwhp @ 14psi on pump gas. In terms of 0-60 times, I beat a 2006 LS430 from a stop and those cars are rated at 5.9seconds, so I'm guessing my car does 0-60 in 5 seconds flat right now @ 7 psi boost.

Old 04-09-06, 04:49 PM
onebadshot
Pole Position

Anyone have a write up on how to install N20 on a 300 and what kit would be best suited?
Old 04-09-06, 05:06 PM
jibbby

Oh I agree with you that you can setup any car with good stall rate torque converters, differential gearing ratios, cams, etc... that will bring perfect low end torque for that perticular turbo'd car... I was comparing maybe two identical stock lexus sc400's, one equiped with nos, and one equiped with a turbo or supercharger and both running on the same stock drive train and basic engine components, and both cars are putting out an equal 400hp.. I just think the start would be quicker with NOS. Also if you are cruising at 30mph or so and hit the nos I think the nos car would jump out faster then air forced induction car with equal hp and drivetrain setups.. You need to understand that NOS is instant power, and that is the main reason why you hear nos can wearout engines quickly, the exception is the IUZ.;s motors of course... Airforced induction does not wear out motors because of the gradual increase in RPM's there is no shock during excelleration.. Nos is shocking to the internal engine parts unlike normal or even high performance excelleration from a throttle.... The difference is not big but I think there is a difference....

Also nos can be used in combination with a future air forced induction application, so the nos system is never a waste of money if you still plan on going with a A.F.I. applications....

Also I just took a bunch of pictures of this nos deal so I just am throwing them out there with each post....
Attached Thumbnails Is anyone running NOS?-hpim0318.jpg  

Last edited by jibbby; 04-09-06 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-09-06, 05:41 PM
jibbby

Dejacky - I also beat out an Ls430 and recently a new IS350 and pulled away cleanly. I am geared with a Supra LSD, Fat rears, and a dragon torque converter...also my sc400 has alot of other goodies on it, exhaust , intake, ecu, etc..So my SC is pretty quick also 0-60mph...
Sounds to me like you are on it with your SC300, good job.....
Attached Thumbnails Is anyone running NOS?-hpim0326.jpg  

Last edited by jibbby; 04-09-06 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-09-06, 07:50 PM
atekt
Lexus Test Driver

Its nitrous not NOS, thats a brand...I guess im just onry but that bugs me for some reason.
Old 04-09-06, 08:07 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No doubt. Please stop saying NOS . NAAAAAWWWWSSSS!!!!

I'm not running NOS but I've been running a Nitrous Express wet kit with 150hp jets for close to a year.
NX tps switch, NX nitrous gauge, Zex bottle warmer, B&M fuel pressure gauge with hollow bolt for fuel access, Walbro 255lph pump, K&N filter.

I plummed it into my intake instead of drilling the throttle body.
Love the extra power. The big downside is that I have to manually shift it because many times it will hit the limiter in 1st and 2nd gear !

92 SC400 dynoed at 180 hp with no spray. 270 hp with the spray. I have a SAFCII and the warmer now so I'll be heading back for dyno/wideband tuning shortly.

Nitrous is by far the best bang for the buck for the SC400. If you have an SC300, go boost of course !
Old 04-09-06, 08:31 PM
SCguy58
Pole Position

If you use NOS a lot, wouldn't you screw up your engine.
Old 04-09-06, 08:54 PM
Lvangundy

If everything is running correctly and within limits, you're only increasing wear at a faster rate which is inevitable over long periods of time anyway.

Originally Posted by SCguy58
Old 04-09-06, 11:37 PM
lighthalo
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation

Originally Posted by SCguy58
remember in the movie there was that car that blew up with green fire because it had nos, be warned
Old 04-10-06, 10:29 AM
jibbby

Nos is easier and quicker to type, but I will say Nitros Oxide if it makes you all feel better...

I get with the nitros pro's in LA, California, these guys have been working on dragsters, nos Chevy application for years and years..Older wise high performance biulders. They tell me the Lexus v8 motors are the ideal motors to use nos on. The dual overhead cams and percision engineering of the motor etc, is the reason... I have been using nitros almost daily for over a year and I see no signs of wear on my engine what so ever, it idles perfect, does not use oil, has 112,000 miles. . So with a 100-150hp nitros shot you will not wear out your v8 Lexus motors....I would worry more about the tranny wearing out, Maybe 2nd gear on your tranny if you are pushing 150hp or more nitros shot, but not the engine itself.. 2nd gear is the week link and breakable gear in the Lexus trannies...

Also the 1992 SC400 Lexus are rated at 250hp at stock, 14 years later most should dyno at around 210-230hp. Clogging at the cats, mufflers, deteriorating wires, grounds, etc... create the hp drop off over the years... When I first started my SC400 dyno'd at 235hp at stock with 91,000 miles on it since then I have mod'd my engine to run at approx. 290hp base then I have the 100-150hp nitros oxide shot in addition... depends on the pressure in my bottle and if I decide to heat it up or not....Also have the Dragon Torque converter, Supra torsen LSD, lowered suspension, and fat rears tires to help with traction in first and second gear with the 400hp+ hp...

For those that are running nos, you should upgrade your torque converter if you have the automatic trannies. Why you ask? Take offs are dogs on these Lexus's, the stock torque converter stall rate is designed for grannies...Nos and a Torque Corverter is a wicked combination for these cars....

Also just for the record NOS stands for Nitros Oxide Systems and it is a brand and also an abbriviation..
Attached Thumbnails Is anyone running NOS?-hpim0328.jpg  

Last edited by jibbby; 04-10-06 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-10-06, 10:37 AM
jibbby

Curious are any of you guys running the express nitros and using a piggy back ECU to run a little rich? Nitros and lean A/F mix is a no no....Ka boom!!!! I also have the Walbro high volume electric fuel pump, ECU piggy, Autolite cooler running nitros plugs... It all works out great for me...
Attached Thumbnails Is anyone running NOS?-hpim0330.jpg  

Last edited by jibbby; 04-10-06 at 10:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Is anyone running NOS?