Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

White smoke out of exhaust, not what you think

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-06, 05:31 AM
nasc300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White smoke out of exhaust, not what you think

Here is the problem:
"clouds of white smoke out the tail pipes. Thick white smoke. Even after shut down thick white smoke poured out the tail pipes." and a heavy gas smell.
I asked what the problem was in this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=white+smoke
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=white+smoke
And I was told in no uncertain terms that it was a blown head gasket "stupid."
When I asked:
Originally Posted by nasc300
So it's the head gasket.
Any other possibility
Originally Posted by SC4Million
Not really, you have a text book blown head gasket.
I had my doubts but I took the advise.

Since I was going NA-T ( I've done 5 NA-T's before), I decided to drop the head and replace the HG with a thicker HG.
The stock head gasket looked fine and the head was perfectly straight and the pistons looked fine but very dirty. Had I been leaking coolant in a cylinder because of a blown HG, that piston should have been cleaned from the steam. It just did not seem like a HG problem.

I replaced the HG with A TT HG and ARP studs. Installed a walbro,440cc injectors,V8 maf and MKIII
resistor pack. and also a fuel pressure regulator and gauge.
Then I drained the oil pan. What came out of the oil pan was about 10 quarts of oil diluted with gasoline. Lots of gasoline. Actually it was mostly gasoline.

Now things were starting to make sense. That strong gas sent I was getting was indeed of the car running way to rich. The gasoline washed down the cylinders and entered the crankcase. The severely thinned and broken down oil and the super rich condition caused the smoking.
I start her up and once again a horrible idle and clouds of white smoke

So why was it running so rich. They were no cel's at this point. Must be a stuck injector, but that made no sense since I replaced the original injectors with 440cc injectors.
Then I noticed my fuel pressure gauge. The fuel pressure was low and I could not increase it with the regulator. I jumped the fuel pump B+ and Fp turned the ignition switch on to start the pump.
I could now hear loud hissing in the manifold that would go away if I dropped the fuel pressure to zero. The hissing was injector #5 wide open and spraying fuel. So much fuel that it locked up the cylinder and I could not crank the engine over. Ooops.
Then I ran the fuel pump directly of the battery with ignition switch off, and the injector was no longer open. So, with the ignition switch on the injector was locked open and with the ignition of the in injector was closed.
Conclusion: Bad ECU. I should have gone with my instincts
The only person that seemed to know this on this forum was VJ RC51.
He said in several threads that the ECU was the problem and everyone including myself ignored him.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188923

Last edited by nasc300; 03-12-06 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-12-06, 06:51 AM
nasc300
Lead Lap

BTW the ecu has four blown caps and the circuit board is toast
Old 03-12-06, 11:13 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

i had that SAME EXCACT PROBLEM on my stock 2jzge ECU before i pulled the motor out. You could light the exhaust on fire it was fun. Bad ecu. Never thru a CEL. It was confirmed bad ECU when i replaced it
Old 12-14-08, 11:29 AM
OMD
Pole Position

hey guys, i have the same problem in my v8.. white smoke, unburned fuel smell and extremely high fuel consumption! question guys: when you turn on the ignition without starting the car, does the injector of cylinder 3 open? because i tested mine it was open and i think injector #5 was open too while injector #1 remained closed.. i could hear them click open by disconnecting then reconnecting the injector plug..if it should be closed, does this mean i have a faulty ECU?
Old 12-14-08, 11:30 AM
OMD
Pole Position

oh and can the ECU be fixed by replacing the caps?
Old 12-14-08, 12:20 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bad ecu bro i had the same problem wit my 94 sc300 about 3 weeks abo...i fixed it by jus replacing the ecu...i would say dont bother tryin to fix the ecu jus buy another one wit will save u the time...plus it might help if you get a tune up as well...
Old 12-14-08, 03:32 PM
OMD
Pole Position

ok thanks 94, do you know where i could get a cheap jdm ecu? i would have to order it from the internet since these engines are not common here in the Philippines.. i've seen some on ebay but i think they are US versions, I have a Japan car..
Old 12-14-08, 05:10 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if I was in your shoes I would try replaing the cap's. Just make sure that the values are the same and go for it. Assuming you are pretty good with a soldering iron/gun. Make sure that none of the traces are burnt as well. Good luck. Also try to find out why the ecu blew those caps. 1 or 2 caps can go bad by themselfs but 4 umm that must have been a pretty good spike of voltage/amps.
Old 12-14-08, 05:19 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u should try yahoo japan...its kinda like ebay but in japan...they have all the jdm items....but ur gonna have to translate the page...jus google it and then translate it when u find it....
Old 12-14-08, 06:36 PM
OMD
Pole Position

Ok, thanks guys.. i think i'll try to fix it first.. so when the engine is not running and ignition is on on, all injectors should be closed right? please confirm this guys..

Last edited by OMD; 12-14-08 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-09-09, 01:38 PM
OMD
Pole Position

just wanna update on this, i replace the caps on my ecu and now my car is running a lot better.. no more white smoke just a little when i start it from cold.. i do have to chance the ecu to get rid of the problem completely.. but its running good for now(saving up for an aftermarket ems)..

Last edited by OMD; 04-09-09 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-22-09, 03:20 AM
RetroMania
Driver School Candidate

I'd like to contribute to this thread, my car was running RICH, thick white smoke was pouring out of the exhaust. Checked compression multiple times, 170 all around and one cylinder that was 150, i don't think that's grounds for a BHG yet, it may seem like it. Checked the water level on the radiator and coolant reservoir, nothing has changed. I did this multiple times, I checked the temps, and ran the car a few more times again and it would still smoke even after i shut the car it would smoke for another 10 minutes till it completely dissipated, i was in awestruck because i've had BHGs before with turbo cars and it was never like this. I changed the oil, and boy did that oil smell like fuel, and was extra thin within just 6 miles of driving. My only difference from yours is that its with my 1jzgte engine i got from JHOT imports.

I'd like to try an ecu that is working properly, or some one that uses a 1jzgte that works with no problems to fully verify this.

BTW I saw a thread here where a fellow got his caps redone by someone, i forgot what thread it was, but does anyone recommend a good place that I can send it to? thanks.

Last edited by RetroMania; 10-22-09 at 03:28 AM.
Old 06-09-10, 03:51 AM
fleecer
Driver

i have the same problem... can someone post pics of theese "caps" please.
Old 06-09-10, 05:45 AM
nivek5sfe
Pole Position

i am having the EXACT same symptoms and am betting this is the problem. constant white smoke out of the exhaust, oil completely diluted with gas. and so on. im at the point of removing the head right now (had to run to autozone to get the 12 point head bolt socket last night) because i had thougt it was a head gasket problem as well. oh well thankfully i got an extra 5speed ecu when i bought the car, i just hope its not shot as well.
Old 06-09-10, 07:11 PM
nivek5sfe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fleecer
i have the same problem... can someone post pics of theese "caps" please.
i would like to know as well!

after taking my head off its definitely not the head gasket causing the problem. if i can see what the caps look like i can pull my current ecu and see if thats the problem before i spend the money getting the head checked for cracks and going deeper into maybe the bottom end...which at that point id say screw it and just pick up another motor.

Quick Reply: White smoke out of exhaust, not what you think