Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help choosing grounding kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-06, 11:06 AM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help choosing grounding kit

Ive seen the $115+ grounding kit from Sun as well as the $15-$25 kits on ebay. Whats the difference? Whats a good one to get for SC400? Whats the best one for the money?

THX
Old 02-04-06, 11:58 AM
D1GP
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Get the Sun Auto one or Buddy Club also offers one.
Old 02-04-06, 12:08 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

It's wire and connectors. Go to an audio shop and buy some of each and make your own for $45
Old 02-04-06, 12:31 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just like O.L.T. said, make your own, you can have as many as you like and any length and locations too
Old 02-04-06, 12:40 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the HKS grounding kit for my SC300. It has gold connectors and some nice purple wires that link up the a cool looking negative battery terminal they give you. They use the "Octopus" design which has wires coming out from the Negative terminal to the desired grounding points. Its a good kit in my opinion. I just wish they made longer or an extra set of wires. The difference between those eBay kits and the top notch ones is just the material they are made out of. You see, electricity flows better with certain types of materials. Gold being one of the good ones. Those eBay ones I think use regular copper with copper connectors. Its still doing the job. The wires from stereo shops are pretty good too. If you are going to go with that and save some money just get good connectors. Nickel is also a pretty good conductor for electricity.
Old 02-04-06, 05:25 PM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

Thanks for the response. If I make my own, where do I run grounds to? what do I use to connect the grounds?
Old 02-04-06, 05:50 PM
STRONG SC
Lead Lap

I've got a grounding kit from Hyper. Does the job, spend the money to save time or do it yourself.
Old 02-04-06, 05:52 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC4Hundo
Thanks for the response. If I make my own, where do I run grounds to? what do I use to connect the grounds?
You want to focus on the basic stuff like:
-Cylinder Head
-Intake Manifold
-Transmission
-Block
-Alternator
There are quite a few places to choose from. Some already have stock grounding wires on them which you might want to replace also. How are you planning to ground your engine bay? Are you going to use the "octopus" way or the "linking together from point to point" way?
Old 02-05-06, 09:35 PM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
You want to focus on the basic stuff like:
-Cylinder Head
-Intake Manifold
-Transmission
-Block
-Alternator
There are quite a few places to choose from. Some already have stock grounding wires on them which you might want to replace also. How are you planning to ground your engine bay? Are you going to use the "octopus" way or the "linking together from point to point" way?
I dont know. I was planning on buying a kit but then I got the recommendation to diy. I have a BS in EET so I figure I am capable of doing it myself, but not sure what is the optimal configuration/method of grounding.
Old 02-06-06, 02:28 PM
TeCKis300
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

www.teckkits.com is another option and has been a long time supporter of is300.net.
Old 02-06-06, 03:52 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with those above. Get about 25ft of good 8g or better wire and a set of connectors and shrink tubing and build your own. The list above has the basic grounding points. Don't forget the body ground. Hit all the factory grounds plus those listed. I used the point to point method. Much neater and basically same effect, either way is better than the stock 12 year-old grounds on my car.
Old 02-06-06, 07:45 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm surpised that no one has mentioned Daizen Grounding kits for our cars..Although they are a bit pricey, ($100 bucks plus shipping to be exact) they are made specifically for our cars so no personal modding to the wires is needed...They've gotten solid reviews over at the 2nd Gen GS forums....Someone try this kit out...I'm thinking of picking a set up for myself...

http://www.daizensporttuning.com

One of our vendors carry them:

www.tmengineering.net

Todd always has exceptional service...
Old 02-21-07, 05:09 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

Is there a ground point schematic anywhere on the boards here? I've just done a hand full of searches looking for this info but came up with nothing (short of this thread here which is the closet I found). My 1993 SC400 is resetting the cluster clock and loosing my tripometer settings just about every time I turn off the car. After seeing O.L.T. mention things relating to grounding in about every thread that ever has to do with anything electrical related here on CL I need to learn where the stock grounding points are so I can go and check them.

Oh, new battery checks out thumbs up @ Autozone for cranking and under-load amps. The Alternator as well. But for some reason in addition to the clock / tripometer issue (which I have to think is related) I can BARELY get my car to start each day. And some days I'm left at home (4 times now since oct 2006 when I bought her from the MERCEDES dealership) because it simply REFUSES to turn over.

Oh my do I seem to be in a pickle. I think my SC hates life.
Old 02-21-07, 05:47 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

The one from Sun is pretty good (I have photos on homepage below), but you could definitely make your own and pocket the extra money or use it toward a Sun Hypervoltage system.
Old 02-21-07, 06:00 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just e-mailed tm eng. to check price and availability, I think it would be money well spent.

Quick Reply: Help choosing grounding kit