Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Car stuttering in random rpm ranges, question about MAF

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-06, 08:06 PM
dough boi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car stuttering in random rpm ranges, question about MAF

Backround, '93 Lexus SC300, '95 motor, after the swap the car did not start and if it did, it would die after less than 1 minute, even on throttle, narrowed it down to the MAF, honeycomb part was damaged, took it out, fixed the honeycomb best I could, car started ad ran fine, but developed a slight stutter after a few days, this stutter lately has become progressively worse.

A few days after my engine was swapped it developed a slight stutter throughout the rpm range, it happens at random parts of the rpm range, mostly when I'm in a lower gear like 1st-3rd, almost never happening in 4th or 5th gear. This was narrowed down to the MAF for obvious reasons, but was also confirmed by swapping in a known good MAF.

Lately the stutter has become progressively worse, it was never bad enough that I wanted to replace the MAF right away, just a very very slight stutter, but today when I left work it got very bad, leaving a light in first gear I wanted to accelerate past a car to change lanes, and when I got more on throttle it stuttered to the point that my tires chirped. So I went home and decided to give it a look, well when I had straightened out the honeycomb the first time I didn't straighten out all the fins, just enough, but not every single one. Also it looks like it fell slightly out of place as if I had not put all four of the hooks through the honeycomb, so this time after taking it all apart, I straightened it out completely, bent ALL the fins back straight as possible, lined it up on the brackets and made sure it wasn't going anywhere and put everything back together. Well, no stutter at all, car is running MUCH better, no stutter in any gear or at any amount of throttle, it feels like I had never even had a problem with the MAF.

Now my question is, what exactly does this honeycomb part of the MAF do? It doesn't seem like it does much, it's just there, and held on with that bracket. I don't recall seeing one in the MAF in my old n/a rx-7 thought I don't really remember, only time I had to deal with it was when I tossed it after the haltech install. My '88 turbo was older and had an AFM with a flapper door. Anyhow, what exactly does the honeycomb part of the MAF do?

Last edited by dough boi; 01-13-06 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-09-06, 08:42 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

this has alot to do with everything, disrupting air flow in any kind of maf is not good weather it be karmen vortex or by wire etc. do yourself a favor and replace the maf
Old 01-09-06, 09:36 PM
dough boi
Pole Position

Yea, I'd really like to, been planning on it since the stuttering started, but just have no money, especially right now, just paid for classes and books for the coming semester, kind of kills the bank account. I was just wondering how it could have that big of an effect on the motor, just a few fins being bent. I mean, I wasn't suprised that it affected the motor, thats obvious, just to make my tire chirp, means its cutting out big time, damn near gave me a whiplash
Old 01-09-06, 09:55 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try getting a new MAF if the problem comes back, they aren't that much I don't think.

I had a problem with random sputtering under full throttle. I reset the ECU (take negative battery cable off for 10-15 min or pull fuse for ECU). Now there are no problems. I'd try the ECU trick, see if that works, if not replace your MAF but remember to reset the ECU again once you replace the MAF.
Old 01-10-06, 06:39 AM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

resetting the ecu is a good idea but you only have to pull neg batt cable for 2 mins
Old 01-10-06, 10:25 PM
dough boi
Pole Position

Oh, sorry about the confusion, the stuttering went away after straightening out the MAF, though I will still replace the MAF, I did reset the ECU (by pulling the neg terminal) after I did all that, and the stuttering is all gone now, was just wondering how something like that could have that big of an effect thats all, just to know thanks for the replies though.
Old 01-11-06, 07:32 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

you only have to pull the efi fuse for like 20 seconds to reset haha. easier than neg cable cause you wont lose your settings and stuff

the problem will probably come back in a few days though after resetting if your maf is still messed up
Old 01-11-06, 08:25 PM
6spdSC4
Driver School Candidate

My turn!! My honeycomb thing is totally shot. I don't have the money to buy a new MAF although I'd love a free donation! My buddy has a MAF just sitting around in the garage from his old Jeep. The honeycomb looks like it is almost a perfect fit to replace my broken and crappy one. Would it be bad to just swap this part out?