Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo Project...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-05, 08:23 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Turbo Project...

Well I've been thinking on a turbo project or buying a turbo car... I've always liked the sound of a BOV and it just makes the car.... My question is I know a Supra is way to expensive especially the TT ones etc.. But could i get away with spending 7 to 10 k on a turbo car... I'd really like a SC to keep the lexus name and some of your guys SC's are incrediable looking..

Also can you turbo a stock SC or do you have to do the swap? I'm little confused on what the terms NA-T means....naturally aspired turbo? and all the different engines... etc... I'm still somewhat of a newbe so bare with me ok...

I think having a turbo car would be neat and enjoyful... and down right just plain awesome...
Old 12-19-05, 08:51 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is this post a joke? Seriously.
Old 12-19-05, 09:02 PM
SimplyZBes
Masterhater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Response

You have to search the forums because the guys are about to hang you for those questions.
Old 12-20-05, 03:09 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by SimplyZBes
You have to search the forums because the guys are about to hang you for those questions.
Yea i know....I haven't been around long enough to know about the SC... I've only had my GS since April and I'm not to familiar with the different engines and the proper way to turbo a SC... Everyone does the engine swap so I was wondering if there was a easier way?
Old 12-20-05, 07:31 AM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

To sum it up as easily as possible.....

Motors:
1) 2JZ-GE: Naturally Aspirated motor. Stock in SC. 3.0 liter NA
2) 2JZ-GTE: Twin turbo motor out of MKIV Toyota Supra. 3.0 liter twin turbo
3) 1JZ-GTE: Twin turbo motor out of JDM Soarer, Chaser and some other Japanese cars that I can't thik of right now. 2.5 liter twin turbo.

Transmissions:
1) W58: Factory 5spd trans offered in the US market SC300. Fairly weak. Rumored to handle 350HP or break at it? Who knows.
2) R154: 5spd out of JDM Soarer. Very choice. A lot stronger than the W58.
3) V160: Trans out of the TT supra. Very stout and beefy. Will pretty much hold any thing you can throw at it.

Now there are differnent routes that you can go in turbocharging an SC. There have been a dozen arguements on which is the easier path to travel.

The first option would be to turbo the stock NA motor. This is where the term NA-T comes from. The list of companys that have kits out for the SC is extensive from what what it was a few years ago.

BoostLogic
Dave H
Sound Performance
Toyomoto
InnoMoto

That's just to name a few that I can think of right now. Then you have the route of swapping you're motor all together. The GTE motors are pretty much direct bolt in's. There is actually a book published by CL's own Phil Auldridge(spl?) that covers the swap of the 2JZ-GTE motor into the SC. Everyone knows that the the 2J is the stronger of the 2 GTE motors, but the 1JZ is strong in it's own right.

Then you have you're transmission choices. The W58 which is the stock 5spd was known to be problematic. As it it breaks easily. Some people say that it will hold 400, while others say that it breaks around 350. Who knows right? It all really depends on how the trans was treated before. The R154 is better than the W58. Stronger and better. Why you ask. It came with a turbo'd motor. It's just built better. Then you have the V160 getrag 6spd out of the Supra. Very strong in every way. Capable of handling 700+ horsepower, this is one of the greatest transmissions built. in my opinion. But they sometimes come at a hefty price tag. They also take a little bit of finesse to get into our trans tunnels. Or you always have the choice of going with a number of automatics (slushbox if it's not a TH unit)

Any number of these combinations will work. it really all depends on what your budget is. Just remember not to half *** anything. Do it right the first time. But hell what do i know. If I forgot anything anyone can chime in.
Old 12-20-05, 08:48 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

check out www.clubna-t.com also for lots of information.

Did you find that SC yet Tommy? chop chop lets go lexfest is coming around again
Old 12-20-05, 09:59 AM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

I know bro. I workin on it. So much crap to work on I'm all tied up. There's the C43 AMG, VR4, and some other random slo Honda. I'm looking around don't worry.
Old 12-20-05, 07:02 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by SinisterSC

Motors:
3) 1JZ-GTE: Twin turbo motor out of JDM Soarer, Chaser and some other Japanese cars that I can't thik of right now. 2.5 liter twin turbo.

Transmissions:
1) W58: Factory 5spd trans offered in the US market SC300. Fairly weak. Rumored to handle 350HP or break at it? Who knows.
2) R154: 5spd out of JDM Soarer. Very choice. A lot stronger than the W58.
3) V160: Trans out of the TT supra. Very stout and beefy. Will pretty much hold any thing you can throw at it.

Now there are differnent routes that you can go in turbocharging an SC. There have been a dozen arguements on which is the easier path to travel.

The first option would be to turbo the stock NA motor. This is where the term NA-T comes from. The list of companys that have kits out for the SC is extensive from what what it was a few years ago.

BoostLogic
Dave H
Sound Performance
Toyomoto
InnoMoto

That's just to name a few that I can think of right now. Then you have the route of swapping you're motor all together. The GTE motors are pretty much direct bolt in's. There is actually a book published by CL's own Phil Auldridge(spl?) that covers the swap of the 2JZ-GTE motor into the SC. Everyone knows that the the 2J is the stronger of the 2 GTE motors, but the 1JZ is strong in it's own right.

Then you have you're transmission choices. The W58 which is the stock 5spd was known to be problematic. As it it breaks easily. Some people say that it will hold 400, while others say that it breaks around 350. Who knows right? It all really depends on how the trans was treated before. The R154 is better than the W58. Stronger and better. Why you ask. It came with a turbo'd motor. It's just built better. Then you have the V160 getrag 6spd out of the Supra. Very strong in every way. Capable of handling 700+ horsepower, this is one of the greatest transmissions built. in my opinion. But they sometimes come at a hefty price tag. They also take a little bit of finesse to get into our trans tunnels. Or you always have the choice of going with a number of automatics (slushbox if it's not a TH unit)

Any number of these combinations will work. it really all depends on what your budget is. Just remember not to half *** anything. Do it right the first time. But hell what do i know. If I forgot anything anyone can chime in.
Hey thanks for all the info.... I think that pretty much sums it up.... I appreciate you taking the time to type all that.... Thanks again
Old 12-20-05, 07:31 PM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

[

Then you have the V160 getrag 6spd out of the Supra. Very strong in every way. Capable of handling 700+ horsepower, this is one of the greatest transmissions built. in my opinion. But they sometimes come at a hefty price tag.
WRONG!!!! why is my third gear shot? hahahaha j/k. I'm just pissed that I have to skip third every time I drive. And the hunt for another used getrag scares me. I just don't want to end up with another broken 6 spd.

As for the tunnel mods. I'm not sure if it matters through the years, but my car is a 92 and used to be an auto. I never banged the tunnel in any way. It went right in. I did have to cut the auto shifter hole bigger to accept the 6 speeds a arm.

Peter
Old 12-20-05, 09:39 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

why not rebuild your 6 spd?

BTW, going turbo for the cool BOV sound is about the stupidest thing Ive ever heard.
Old 12-21-05, 03:44 AM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

Can't afford the downtime right now and i've heard good and BAD stories on rebuilds. Plus, th eonly place i have found that can rebuild them properly, is in Texas.
Old 12-24-05, 08:38 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Motors:
Sinister, you forgot about the 400.
1UZ-FE 4.0L V8
You can also turbo the 400. Turbo the GS400
My SC400 TT made 371 RWHP & 355 TRQE on 7-8 PSI,
And 510 RWHP & 489 TRQE on 17 PSI
Attached Thumbnails Turbo Project...-shot.jpg  
Old 12-24-05, 08:43 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Dyno Sheet
Attached Thumbnails Turbo Project...-dyno-510.jpg  
Old 12-25-05, 04:51 PM
cal9126
Pole Position

you have any more info on your tt 400 there rdm20.....what manifolds, what turbos, etc.....
Old 12-26-05, 05:59 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cal9126
you have any more info on your tt 400 there rdm20.....what manifolds, what turbos, etc.....
The manifold is stock, but 8 additional injectors have been installed on a piggy back system. They come on with boost to ad the extra fuel.

The Turbos are toyota ct-26's the first set was off of an mr2 smaller ct-26's with a split exhaust housing. I made 371 RWHP at 7 PSI with these.
Currently I have ct-26's off a a supra. these are slightly larger, and I made 510RWHP at 17PSI

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=189085

Quick Reply: Turbo Project...