Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc 400 manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-05, 03:46 AM
UACS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc 400 manual transmission

HI, im about to buy this sc 400 92 with 80k miles. For some reason the transmission is breaking. Is there any manual transmission that i can get for the sc400, and which is it and where can i get it?

Thank YOU
Old 12-04-05, 08:35 AM
totrider
Lead Lap

I dont think they have a manual tranny for the sc400.

But once I saw on tv ( I think it was rides) where they modified an IS300. I Was not a big Lexus fan back then when I saw this episode....
They took the engine out & replaced it with a 400 engine (something like that). & they somehow installed a supra 6 spd manual tranny with a few modifications. That was a year ago or two. I cant remember exactly.

They say its an is400 on steroids
here is the car I'm talking about. Hey maybe someone thats been here a long time can give you more info about this one.

but check this attached image. This is the car im tal\king about.

Old 12-04-05, 12:15 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by totrider
I dont think they have a manual tranny for the sc400.

But once I saw on tv ( I think it was rides) where they modified an IS300. I Was not a big Lexus fan back then when I saw this episode....
They took the engine out & replaced it with a 400 engine (something like that). & they somehow installed a supra 6 spd manual tranny with a few modifications. That was a year ago or two. I cant remember exactly.

They say its an is400 on steroids
here is the car I'm talking about. Hey maybe someone thats been here a long time can give you more info about this one.

but check this attached image. This is the car im tal\king about.

RMM IS430
Rod Millen Motorsports
3UZ-FE
Old 12-04-05, 01:32 PM
ATL-SC
Lead Lap

there is a guy on SF or clubna-t (maybe both) that has a supra with a 1uz and its backed with a 6speed. search around over there. if i remember right it takes a lot of modifying to get the 6sp in the tunnel but all you need is a different bellhousing to make it fit on the motor.
Old 12-04-05, 04:49 PM
Koma

Hmm this sounds like a fun project. I might be changing my plans in the future for performance mods. Of course this is all just thoughts and no money to back it up as of right now but I think I've got some fun tricks up my sleeve.
I'm thinking TT 3UZ with Getrag. But the getrag might not fit as easily as we'd like it to in the SC. Oh man when I got some cash...
Old 12-04-05, 06:21 PM
totrider
Lead Lap

Now that I think about it after these few posts. I think it was on speed channel.
I remember a few guys with their laptop working on the ecu also . something about tricking the computer system of the car.. Man I wish i taped that show.. I'll try to find out if I can find some info on this subject.
Old 12-04-05, 07:48 PM
UACS

Do you think a Twin Turbo Supra engine would fit in the sc 400 for a swap, including throwing in a manual trani with the engine?

If yes which year supra engine would fit into the 92 sc400?
Old 12-04-05, 07:52 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

I know some one posted up a perfect write up on how to make your 1UZFE a 5 speed. They used alot of custom parts and in the end he didnt even spend alot on it. The 5 speed was used from an MK3 Supra. Search it up.
Old 12-04-05, 08:03 PM
totrider
Lead Lap

Ok i found some stuff its not iS400 its an IS430 (Koma is right) & its not on speed channel . It was tlc (rides with jason priestly) My mistake.
but its a nice article to read . check it out

check the link http://www.rodmillen.com/Is430.htm

Last edited by totrider; 12-04-05 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-04-05, 08:12 PM
UACS

I read that the Soarer sc comes either 2.5 twin turbo or the v8.... which is more luxury than sport. So you think the 1JZ-GTE 2.5 tt engine would be able to be put in the sc 400 5 spd....

also can you just put a turbo on the sc 400?
Old 12-04-05, 09:38 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
I know some one posted up a perfect write up on how to make your 1UZFE a 5 speed. They used alot of custom parts and in the end he didnt even spend alot on it. The 5 speed was used from an MK3 Supra. Search it up.
VSSC400's R154 project.
I know about it but I would love to go a 6 speed route if it was possible.
Old 12-04-05, 09:38 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from my understanding, the W58 bell houseing will work with the V160 6speed from the supra. there is supposedly an addapter to fit the W58 to the 1UZ. therefor you have the option of either mounting up the W58 or the V160 if you change the bellhouseing. ill try to find out who makes the adapter plate.
Old 12-04-05, 09:41 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by UACS
I read that the Soarer sc comes either 2.5 twin turbo or the v8.... which is more luxury than sport. So you think the 1JZ-GTE 2.5 tt engine would be able to be put in the sc 400 5 spd....

also can you just put a turbo on the sc 400?
Many people swap 1JZs into the SC.
We have a few turbo SC400s on this board.

As for dropping 2JZ-GTE (Supra TT engine) into the SC400 it's possible and easily done.
Old 12-05-05, 06:39 AM
UACS

Originally Posted by Koma
Many people swap 1JZs into the SC.
We have a few turbo SC400s on this board.

As for dropping 2JZ-GTE (Supra TT engine) into the SC400 it's possible and easily done.
how easy do you think it is? Do you know where i can find out exactly what i need and how to do it, im buying an sc400 and it needs a few minor things like the transmission, water pump.. timing belt. So i was just considering maybe uting that engine in with the transmission it will come with.

Also where can i get a front clip of a 2JZ-GTE supra... or just an engine with the trani. Thanks
Old 12-05-05, 07:16 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

UACS, welcome to CL. The questions you are asking have pretty much been discussed and answered over the years. The search function yielded these answers.

The manual conversion is doable but rather pricey. If you want to spend $2000 + in parts alone............
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...l+transmission

Swapping a 1J or 2J in place of the 1UZ
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...00+engine+swap
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=turbo+sc400

Turbo sc400

Enjoy!

Quick Reply: sc 400 manual transmission