Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

important 1JZ swap info learned

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-05, 09:14 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default important 1JZ swap info learned

You CAN NOT use the stock n/a radiator. I always ran my 1JZ with no thermostat, so it typically ran kinda cool, especially on the highway causing me to get bad fuel miledge. Well i put one in finally yesterday, runs fine, off boost. If you run on alot of boost it will overheat (not boil over, but boil into the tank). I had to pull the thermostat out this morning so i could drive it. Lesson learned: you can not use the stock n/a sc300 radiator, just doesn't cool enough when you get on boost and heat up the turbos (hot turbos = hotter water since they are water cooled). Koyo or aftermarket "stock" all metal supra TT rad is in the near future!
Old 11-16-05, 09:58 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

wow are you running 11psi or higher. i had my stock radiator on my last sc and it was fine at 12psi. maybe motor problems? just something worth looking into.
Old 11-16-05, 10:03 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by soardrft
wow are you running 11psi or higher. i had my stock radiator on my last sc and it was fine at 12psi. maybe motor problems? just something worth looking into.
Im running whatever PSI stock is, no boost gauge. The radiator is 1992 stock with 150k miles on it, tranny cooler built in being used (no additional cooler). Motor runs beautiful. I had a Jeep cherokee do the same thing in the past.. would run hot if you tow'd something or went 80mph on the highway with the AC on, radiator too small. A $110 replacement fixed that.

Maybe i just have a blocked rad..

EDIT: i dunno tho, my other stock sc300 with no overdrive will do the same dam thing if you go on the highway over 80mph.. Makes it run just a tad too warm, not enough cooling power with these things.

Last edited by VJ RC51; 11-16-05 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-16-05, 10:09 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

no boost guage? hmmm do u have a turbo timer? if not look at buying the blitz that has the boost guage on it. also how are your hoses? do a radiator flush. simple things before you invest and find out your investment was not worth it. good luck
Old 11-16-05, 10:13 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by soardrft
no boost guage? hmmm do u have a turbo timer? if not look at buying the blitz that has the boost guage on it. also how are your hoses? do a radiator flush. simple things before you invest and find out your investment was not worth it. good luck
I run straight water with wetter, no antifreezzz. Its been flushed. All the hoses are new. The rad is old, has the famous leak or 2 and both the main top neck and overflow neck are broken and it looks like corrooded crap. Maybe its just not a swap issue, maybe its just my issue lol.

no boost gauge, no turbo timer. Its a bone stock swap, just looks pretty.
Old 11-16-05, 10:24 AM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

MIne works just fine and I live in the desert. I haven't turned up the boost yet though.
Old 11-16-05, 10:28 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

cheap way to see what's wrong:
try stop leak.
put anti-freeeze.
if it looks messed up but a new radiator, but keep in mind the cheap was can help a great deal.
Old 11-16-05, 10:31 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kaiser
MIne works just fine and I live in the desert. I haven't turned up the boost yet though.

Its weird cause it runs colddddddddd with no theromostat, so cold it goes into closed loop on the highway and it runs rich, but if i run it hard with a thermostat and idle it down, it will still boil into the overflow tank. If i drive it normally with the thermostat, its fine. Only when i get into alot of boost and shut the the engine down even if i idle it down, will it boil into the tank, with the thermostat in. Water is crystal clear, no oil or anything.. headgasket is fine. No water leaks anywhere except a drop or 2 around the neck sometimes
Old 11-16-05, 11:37 AM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VJ good info there. But dude, get a boost gauge
Old 11-16-05, 11:56 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TurboTeg
VJ good info there. But dude, get a boost gauge

LOL why? I don't have a boost controller. i can put that $60 towards better things I figure if i blow a wastegate line, ill hit fuet cut

This info might be not accurate for brand new n/a radiators, but if yours is original and high mile like mine, its probably not going to work. Well works with no thermostat, but then u gotta worry about cold weather and the engine running crappy at highway speeds.
Old 11-16-05, 12:11 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

id start looking else where for why its running odd. modern motors are meant to be run with a thermostat for a reason, or any one with one built into the block for that matter. it may be an old hot rodder trick (in actuality a myth). id diagnose whats wrong with it first before you start modifying how the system runs. my buddy doesnt run a t-stat but then again when you have a methanol burning catipillar turbo'd corvette that runs 6.5's id say you dont need one....
Old 11-16-05, 12:25 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
id start looking else where for why its running odd. modern motors are meant to be run with a thermostat for a reason, or any one with one built into the block for that matter. it may be an old hot rodder trick (in actuality a myth). id diagnose whats wrong with it first before you start modifying how the system runs. my buddy doesnt run a t-stat but then again when you have a methanol burning catipillar turbo'd corvette that runs 6.5's id say you dont need one....

What problem? Problem is my 13yo 150kmi stock radiator isnt cooling my 1jzgte. Its an old hotrodder trick also to pull out thermostat if you cant get enough cooling. There is no problem with the motor.
Old 11-16-05, 01:05 PM
Gibenstein
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
You CAN NOT use the stock n/a radiator. I always ran my 1JZ with no thermostat, so it typically ran kinda cool, especially on the highway causing me to get bad fuel miledge. Well i put one in finally yesterday, runs fine, off boost. If you run on alot of boost it will overheat (not boil over, but boil into the tank). I had to pull the thermostat out this morning so i could drive it. Lesson learned: you can not use the stock n/a sc300 radiator, just doesn't cool enough when you get on boost and heat up the turbos (hot turbos = hotter water since they are water cooled). Koyo or aftermarket "stock" all metal supra TT rad is in the near future!
Ok so your saying that off boost w/ thermostat you run fine but when you get into boost you start overheating ? But when you run w/o thermostat with boost you run fine ? How old is the thermostat ?
Old 11-16-05, 01:11 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gibenstein
Ok so your saying that off boost w/ thermostat you run fine but when you get into boost you start overheating ? But when you run w/o thermostat with boost you run fine ? How old is the thermostat ?
Yep. Thermostat was brand new stant from autozone. Did it with the OEM one too, i thought it was bad and took it out and had none for over a month now. Ran fine when it was hot out, but now since its in the 50s, is causing me to go closed loop on the highway and i need to put something in there ASAP.
Old 11-16-05, 01:19 PM
Gibenstein
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
Yep. Thermostat was brand new stant from autozone. Did it with the OEM one too, i thought it was bad and took it out and had none for over a month now. Ran fine when it was hot out, but now since its in the 50s, is causing me to go closed loop on the highway and i need to put something in there ASAP.
You could try the TRD thermostat, it is supposed to open at lower temps (I believe it opens at 160) compared to OEM.

Quick Reply: important 1JZ swap info learned