Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

S&S Headers Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-05, 02:49 PM
SRQ400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink S&S Headers Install

I have my header installed. Check this out
http://mysite.verizon.net/res6pb6m/
Click on updates...
Old 11-09-05, 05:33 PM
blaznsc4
Lexus Test Driver

nice work. how much did everything end up costing you?
Old 11-10-05, 03:24 AM
SRQ400
Pole Position

The headers were $600, Install $300, New nuts & OEM manifold gaskets $80, exhaust pipes $160.
Old 11-11-05, 03:47 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have any more pics of your stock headers maybe top view? I notice you bought new gaskets do you feel the manifold gaskets that came w/ the headers were not that good? Did you use new or old header to cats gaskets?

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 11-13-05 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-11-05, 03:53 PM
SuperiorSC
Lexus Test Driver

where can we buy the headers @???
Old 11-11-05, 04:04 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XSpower
See post #8
I think they are still only charging your credit card $200 then the rest when the header is sent. I ordered mine begining of Aug. and still waiting.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...4&page=1&pp=15
Old 11-11-05, 05:48 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by XSpower
http://www.ssheaders.com/contact.htm

https://ssl10.mysecureserver.com/bos...namicIndex.asp

Old 11-11-05, 09:46 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice site and write up on the header install. I was a bit dismayed that these are not direct bolt ons/up. Thanks for the information.
Lee

Last edited by Pearlpower; 11-11-05 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-12-05, 04:44 AM
SRQ400
Pole Position

Gillexus,
I’ll take some more pics if you want. My mechanic advised me not to use the manifold gaskets that came with the headers. So, $20-$25 per to assure a proper seal was worth it. We did reuse the donut gasket to the cats – no problems. And the good news for you is they do fit your car as a direct replacement.
Old 11-12-05, 05:06 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SRQ400
Gillexus,
I’ll take some more pics if you want. My mechanic advised me not to use the manifold gaskets that came with the headers. So, $20-$25 per to assure a proper seal was worth it. We did reuse the donut gasket to the cats – no problems. And the good news for you is they do fit your car as a direct replacement.
Hmmm really? We've always heard the contrary.

Is this the first S & S install on CL?
Old 11-12-05, 05:36 AM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koma
Hmmm really? We've always heard the contrary.

Is this the first S & S install on CL?
What do you mean by stating that "We've always heard the contrary"? I have not seen any posts indicating that they headers did not fit except maybe something about the cat flange. Anyway, bear in mind that these headers are special and we are lucky to have them. They will serve as the foundation of any other things you can do to your car's engine. My 1994 SC is in the shop right now and the mechanic said everything is going smoothly ($350 for install). It has been there for almost two weeks now having the headers, custom mandrel bent exhaust, high stall T/C, transmission cooler, new brakes, stainless brake lines, LSD, etc.. installed.

Once the Apexi S-AFC is dyno tuned then I wil go and pick it up which hopefully will be today. Then it will be time for the NX NXL 150 shot with progressive controller!
Old 11-12-05, 05:52 AM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

what I think he meant, and what i also recall reading about some headers that fit the other models where the flanges had to be modified to fit,.... not sure what else. Where are you located in TX,... as I am in Houston,... I would be interested to check out the finished product if you are in Austin or Houston,.....
Old 11-12-05, 06:36 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NAZTY97
what I think he meant, and what i also recall reading about some headers that fit the other models where the flanges had to be modified to fit,.... not sure what else. Where are you located in TX,... as I am in Houston,... I would be interested to check out the finished product if you are in Austin or Houston,.....
What he said.
I've read many times on these forums that there is modification to be done. That is isn't directly bolt-on.
I want more pictures and details of this install.
Old 11-12-05, 03:19 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Copy of my post to the header update thread in the GS FI section;

Slight change in plans plus additional good news.

Way back in January of 2004 CL member VVT-i posted the part numbers for the manifolds for the 6 VVT-i equipped vehicles in question those being: 98-00 GS400, 01+ GS430, 98-00 SC400, 01+ SC430 and the 98-00 LS400, 01+ LS430. We planned for needing to relocate cats and build an aftermarket Y pipe for any pre-98 vehicle. We HOPED that one manifold would fit all the 98+ vehicles.

With the help of member VVT-i we learned that there were 4 different part number groups for the 6 vehicles above. All the 430 vehicles had the same part number. Each of the 400 vehicles had a different part number. Since I had personally seen the LS400 manifolds and the GS400 manifolds and they LOOKED identical, and, since the SC400 was rated the same power as the LS400 it seems resonable to assume that all 3 models had the same manifold with maybe minor differences.

I next looked at an LS430 and realized it had a completely different style manifold. This lead me to presume that the planned header would bolt on but that an aftermarket custom Y pipe would probably be required.

Turns out I was WRONG about both above paragraph assumptions.

Member jp430 recently installed his headers on his supercharged GS430 and everything bolted up perfectly including the stock Y pipe. This should reasonably indicated that ALL 430 vehicles that share the same part number on the manifolds can install these headers as a direct bolt in with no other mods needed. Two very nice benefits being that the new design stock 430 manifold is more restrictive but smaller in size. This means that the power increase should be better than for the 400 applications and the install easier as well. jp430 reports a reasonably quick install time.

Now, some may have noticed my post way back regarding trying a GS400 Y pipe on my LS400 and it did not fit. It looked nearly identical but the flange angles were off just enough to make it not work. This was my first indication that there was in fact a difference on the 400 cars. I hoped it was a change in the catalyst but did not know for certain.

Just this monday CL member SRQ400 had his headers installed on his 99 SC400. Turns out the SC400 has a very restrictive single tube manifold that gives the same benefit of the 430s above. However it does not work with the stock Y pipe. BTW, SRQ400 (Greg) was the person that pointed me towards S&S Headers in the first place so my hat is off to him. Greg had dual 2.25" installed with his stock mufflers and is AMAZED at the performance improvement of both POWER and RESPONSE.

This promted me to scruitinize the GS vs LS manifolds again. As I said they LOOKED identical. Upon very critical observation I see that the catalyst 3 bolt flange is rotated 270 degrees. Obviously these are not identical. This indicates that LS400s will also need different Y pipes as the stock parts will not work. This is just as well because the stock Y pipe is very restrictive.
Old 11-21-05, 11:27 AM
TexasLex
Pole Position

As of today my 1994 SC400 has been at the performance shop for 3 weeks, so I apologize for still not having posted the completed pics and dyno numbers. The JB headers are bolted in and the mechanic did not mention anything about them not fitting properly. However, they are still fabricating the exhaust system and are doing such an incredible job that I do not want to rush them on it. Hopefully it will be done by Thanksgiving.

Regarding my previous post concerning the fitment of the headers in various applications, I guess the idea of someone bolting on headers then running the OEM exhaust system had not crossed my mind.

Last edited by SC & RX; 11-21-05 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Additional text

Quick Reply: S&S Headers Install