Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

A/C system diagnostics- Need codes.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-14, 06:35 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I've had a minor issue where my cold air (without A/C running) is a fair bit warmer than outside air temperature. I was starting to look into heater control valve stuff and the possibility that it's remaining open and allowing coolant to circulate, making the cooling fight the heating. While researching that, I ran across the diagnostic tests for the HVAC system ... didn't realize that process existed.

I've got one current (beeping) code: #21 - Solar Sensor Circuit

I haven't been able to find much about it, other than it often is triggered by testing in the dark. However, I tested while it was fairly bright outside, although at 6pm and not in direct sunlight. I did re-run the test with a flashlight pointed at the sensor, and that didn't change anything. (It is the clear plastic, flat sensor on the left side of the dash, right? Not the reddish dome sensor on the right side?)

Anyone know what the next step(s) would be in diagnosing the Solar Sensor Circuit? I didn't get any Code 22 with the engine running, as suggested earlier in the thread.

Edit: Just remembered one of the things I did find; a faulty coolant temp sensor could create the problem. I have faulty plugs/wires on both of my sensors waiting to be replaced, so there could be a easy explanation there.

Last edited by t2d2; 06-28-14 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-29-14, 01:04 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

False alarm. I re-checked today in semi-direct sunlight (overcast, but a bit brighter than yesterday's testing conditions) and there are no codes. The Solar Sensor must be quite finicky as far as what it considers sufficient sunlight. So, back to the original thinking of it being heater control valve related...
Old 09-21-14, 07:35 PM
addisonblc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bumping this thread guys....
95 sc400 pulling a code 42... servo inlet door. the air blows nothing but hot and all controls work just fine. ive cleaned up the ground on the ac comp to make sure it wasnt that. the ac comp does not engage ever. anyboy have exp with this code?
Old 09-23-14, 08:06 PM
addisonblc
Pole Position

bumpin for a any info......
i dunno if its been said or not but once you get your codes pulled up, you can push the "fresh" air button and the system will began a check. it'll run through different settings and test different aspects of the ac components. you can pause it on any phase of the test by pushing the "recirculation" button and resume the tests by pushing the "fresh" air button. i found it helpful to pull the glove box out so i could watch the difference in the system as it tested the stuff.
on another note: i think i have discovered my ac comp to be inop. im going to replace it and hope that it fixes my problem since nobody wants to chime in.
The following users liked this post:
jmonaco47 (07-11-22)
Old 10-03-14, 07:51 AM
addisonblc
Pole Position

bump for those guys that were concerned and those having similar problems.
code 41,42,43 FIX
basic problems: a/c light flashing with the ac never actually cutting on. the blower would work and all functions of the ac worked very well with the exception of the compressor never cutting on. system was charged and all wires were chased and proven to have good connections. the compressor wheel would spin only if provoked but would not maintain a constant spin. i bought a used compressor from a friend and swapped it out. i pulled the vacuum and charge the system up.
no codes. no problems. everything works great.
The following users liked this post:
BNastee (12-12-23)
Old 10-06-15, 05:05 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I know this thread is old but, I have in my car now code 41 and 43 but the A/C light is not flashing at all and my A/C work fine. I found this thread because I try to found also a sound that come from behind the radio. The car can be turned off but the key in the switch, swith only, not acc or on positio and the sound is there. But if I take out the key from the switch the sound disappears. Insert the key again on the switch and I active sw the A / C system and the sound returns. The sound is like this, clap, clap, clap, clap all the time. Someone had this problem before?
Old 10-26-15, 09:26 AM
soonerck
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mooney6959
I'm going to revive this thread.

I'm almost positive that I have a seized compressor, but it still works in a blue moon.
I ran the diagnostic on the A/C system, and it shows code 00, which I know isn't true. I've even had it run through the system check (by pressing fresh), but it still shows all is well.
I just called PepBoys (I know...) and they quoted my $1,050 to install the new one (NOT including parts) and basically get it going again.
Any thoughts on this?
I have a mechanic friend that told me if the compressor works sometimes then your problem is not the compressor. It's likely something electronic like a pressure sensor valve or???
Old 10-26-15, 07:37 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Problem solved.
The A/C filter was broken and I do not know how that happened because it was only six months old. They spent leaves from a tree where I parked the car on work and that was the noise in the blades on the fan of the A/C system. Also, the screen show now 00. Everything is normal as it should be. Also, I forget to mention, that the A/C filter was OEM and I go to the Dealer because the filter was only 6 month old and the guy on part dept. change it immediately. Also, he told me that a full lot of that filter came difective from factory and that's why changed to me immediately. Plus, the full year warranty in all OEM parts. So, if you have the OEM cabinete A/C filter and no past a year yet, go and change it. Maybe you get the same issue that I have with my a/c filter later on.
Old 05-29-17, 09:36 PM
PingPong10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it the A/C control unit

This similar problem to the related issue, I got ES330, 2005 model. Not getting cold air inside the car, very much hot as the heater is working although the setup is 65 deg for both passenger and driver sides. Compressor is working, refrigerant is cold by touching the pipes around the compressor and going into the cabin. the climate control unit seems running and controlling while I don't hear anything when it comes to mode change. Disregarding changing the temperature setting, no change notice of the temperature. The fan is running well and it changes speed. I removed the glove compartment trying to see the servos but I didn't find any servo behind the glove compartment. Any advise at the point? I'm reluctant to believe it's the climate control unit............but may be I'm wrong.
Now, I ran the A/C diagnose and I'm getting codes 41, 42, 43, 46, 21 and 24..
I'm not sure what is 24 ,
Old 05-29-17, 09:37 PM
PingPong10
Driver School Candidate

Old 05-31-17, 03:14 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PingPong10
This similar problem to the related issue, I got ES330, 2005 model. Not getting cold air inside the car, very much hot as the heater is working although the setup is 65 deg for both passenger and driver sides. Compressor is working, refrigerant is cold by touching the pipes around the compressor and going into the cabin. the climate control unit seems running and controlling while I don't hear anything when it comes to mode change. Disregarding changing the temperature setting, no change notice of the temperature. The fan is running well and it changes speed. I removed the glove compartment trying to see the servos but I didn't find any servo behind the glove compartment. Any advise at the point? I'm reluctant to believe it's the climate control unit............but may be I'm wrong.
Now, I ran the A/C diagnose and I'm getting codes 41, 42, 43, 46, 21 and 24..
I'm not sure what is 24 ,
PinPong,

Check the pressure switch that is on front of the car. The switch have a electric plug on top. good luck

Last edited by Mcon; 05-31-17 at 03:18 AM.
Old 07-19-17, 10:47 AM
Lexus62
Driver School Candidate

My AC has stopped working. I have done the TROUBLE SHOOTING
SELF-DIAGNOSTICS it comes up 00. Taken it to local garage they said they topped the freon? Said it may be electrical to take it to Lexus. I came across this article.

https://www.justanswer.com/lexus/8vj...g-heating.html

So I thought maybe trying this before giving up a body part to Lexus. In the sc430 2002 do you know which panel to look in for this relay?

Thank you!!!
Old 08-18-17, 08:47 PM
jorchang
Driver School Candidate

What should I do when I get an error code 11? Should i just replace the interior ambient temp sensor?
Old 10-01-17, 07:37 AM
supra_trd
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
I got code 23 both low and high sides are reading 160psi. I pumped out all the ref. and replaced the expansion valve. During refilling both low and high sides are at 100psi. My compressor is not running. I have codes 21, 23, 24 . This is for 2007 GS350. Does anyone here have code 24? It is possible that I have a bad compressor based on the pressure reading and the compressor is not running?
thanks
Old 11-07-17, 12:56 PM
MAILURGENT
Driver School Candidate

Default RX350 AC Blows hot air

My 2010 RX350 Blows hot air. My mechanic says the compressor is not kicking and there is no voltage from the head unit. He said the pressure , freon are good and I need to take it to lexus for electrical diagnostics. We recently had our battery dead due to a faulty cell and had it replaced. Not sure if that caused it as we din't drive this car often after replacing the battery. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated. I am not able to see how I can get the AC diag code . It has navigation , 2010 RX 350 - no code in dash.

Quick Reply: A/C system diagnostics- Need codes.