Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 S-AFC II Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-05, 11:43 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 S-AFC II Question

EDIT: SEE LAST LATEST POST FOR PICS!!

I just got an S-AFC II and mounted it in the glove box today (pics to come when my camera gets fixed). My question is is the anyone out that who KNOWS VERY WELL WHAT THEY ARE DOING and can walk me through connecting it. I'm like 80% sure I can do it on my own, but the possible consequences are too great for me to take the risk. If ANYONE is very savvy in the area, please help me out! I'd like to talk to someone who has installed or help install a few of these, not just one, but I'll take what I can get. If you'd like to talk to me via e-mail, phone, or IM, just PM me and I'll get you whatever info you need. Thanks for anyone and everyone's help!

Also, my car is a 1993 SC300 auto. Thanks again!!

-Matt

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 10-06-05 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-30-05, 12:02 AM
Last5Spd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RSTSpeed
This may belong in the Engine section, and if it does, sorry and feel free to move it, Mods!

I just got an S-AFC II and mounted it in the glove box today (pics to come when my camera gets fixed). My question is is the anyone out that who KNOWS VERY WELL WHAT THEY ARE DOING and can walk me through connecting it. I'm like 80% sure I can do it on my own, but the possible consequences are too great for me to take the risk. If ANYONE is very savvy in the area, please help me out! I'd like to talk to someone who has installed or help install a few of these, not just one, but I'll take what I can get. If you'd like to talk to me via e-mail, phone, or IM, just PM me and I'll get you whatever info you need. Thanks for anyone and everyone's help!

Also, my car is a 1993 SC300 auto. Thanks again!!

-Matt

Clubna-t.com has a great writeup on it..you should join
Old 09-30-05, 09:52 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Ahha... thanks man, I'll check it out! If anyone else has some advice or anything, let me know!
Old 09-30-05, 01:39 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I actually found time to do this today.However, it seems as though the Supra and SC wiring harness plugs are different, or maybe I just don't know what to look for. On the back of my harness, the side where the wires come in, there are 4 rows of 10 wires... see the attached pic - there are two sets of wires on either side with an empty area with the screw in the middle. So it would appear that the numbers on mine only go up to 49 (or 40-10, however you look at it). ANybody got any advice/ideas/comments? OH, on top of this, the "Toyota Soarer" plug diagram in the S-AFC wiring diagram doesn't look like my plug, so I'm affraid to just start splicing. Eek!

EDIT!
I called APEX, and they told me to use a different wiring diagram. The diagrams in their manual that came with the S-AFC II are for Japanese spec cars, not "world" or US spec. The manual says to use diagram T8b (Pressure sensor), which is incorrect for the SC300 OBD I system. In my/our case(s), use the T7a (Karmen Sensor). I'm going back down to the garage to try to get this thing working and will report back later. Wish me luck!
Attached Thumbnails SC300 S-AFC II Question-sc300-ecu-plug-layout.jpg  

Last edited by RSTSpeed; 09-30-05 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-30-05, 02:56 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

i think the write up on clubna-t is great. although they told u which wire to tap by color. which i hope is correct i will be ordering a safc soon.
Old 09-30-05, 05:42 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kietlander
i think the write up on clubna-t is great. although they told u which wire to tap by color. which i hope is correct i will be ordering a safc soon.
The write up IS great, but from what I can tell does not apply to Lexus'. Our ECU pins aren't numbered like that, so I used the diagram provided with the S-AFC II; only problem was that they didn't list an SC300, just the Soarer with the 2JZ-GE and that diagram is incorrect... I believe it tells you to use the diagram T8b, but you need to use T7a and connect the knock sensor wire from the AFC to "knock sensor 2" on the diagram/ECU plug. Also, the write-up on ClubNA-T is correct as far as the color wires, but he's telling you the color of the AFC's wires, not the car's.
Old 09-30-05, 10:21 PM
Last5Spd
Pole Position

iam planning to get a safc2 and was wondering would it fit where the stock ashtray is. in front of the shifter.
Old 10-01-05, 12:22 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

I doubt it... that's a pretty tight space. I need to get some batteries for my camera, and I'll upload a pic of mine in the glove box. I'll also try to measure the dimensions of it to see if it will fit in the ashtray.
Old 10-06-05, 12:36 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Here's what it looks like - now I just have to get it dyno tuned. Bleh!