Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help me with this clutch noise...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-05, 09:26 PM
deruvian
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me with this clutch noise...

This is the first manual transmission car I've driven that is mine, so I'm not sure what to make of this noise... I've heard it on other MT cars before, but didn't think much of it because the car was not mine!

When the clutch pedal is pushed in, the car sounds just fine. When I put the transmission in neutral and let out the clutch, a sound mixed between "tick tick tick tick" and "squeak squeak squeak squeak" occurs.

When I am in gear and traveling, if road noise is not too loud, I can hear this same noise. So it is not just a stationary thing...

If I push in the clutch maybe 0.5" the noise will almost completely fade away. Pushing it in just a tad more makes the noise disappear.

In case either of the following things play an importance in discovering the cause, I thought I would make mention. 1) Revving the engine a little bit appears to make the rhythm of the noise accelerate, and 2) the clutch engages just prior to letting out the clutch pedal 3/4 of its travel distance - so it engages almost at the top.

Any help at all is appreciated!
Old 09-19-05, 09:31 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the exact same thing! I can't figure out what it is.
Old 09-19-05, 10:29 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

same here...
i think there were a couple of threads about this though.
Old 09-19-05, 10:57 PM
deruvian
Driver

Originally Posted by reamemiya
same here...
i think there were a couple of threads about this though.
I could only find two relevant threads.

This one.

And this one.

Neither really comes to any type of conclusion whatsoever.
Old 09-20-05, 01:35 AM
dough boi
Pole Position

Mine makes/made the same sound, my clutch has been all out of whack though, it's getting replaced right now, aaamco said the pressure plate collapsed, never heard of that, but I do know that my clutch needs to be replaced. I don't know if the sound has any connection to the pressure plate, but it was making the sound long before the pressure plate decided to go.
Old 09-20-05, 07:25 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Its either the pilot bearing, or the actually tranny itself. Most likely its the tranny, its just noisy, theres really nothing wrong with it, its just that these W58s tend to make a little noise when the clutch engaged
Old 09-20-05, 11:47 AM
KidPandJ
Pole Position

It is most likely the pilot bearing. The W-58 makes a whurring noise pretty much all the time, but it would be hard to confuse that with the squeak / chirp of the pilot bearing.
Old 09-20-05, 12:30 PM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

sounds like what I have also but not as loud. It seems to be coming from behind and below the AC/radio console. I've heard that the tranny in our cars are pretty loud so didn't really think twice about it.
Old 10-12-05, 08:57 PM
NPSC303
Lead Lap

I've had 2 SC's... My 95 tranny / clutch never made any noise at all no matter what i was doing to it, my 97 does. It first made that ticking noise that was mentioned (when i bought the car), and I had the clutch replaced at the time of purchase. That removed the ticking noise and then i would hear the "winding" noise whenever the clutch was not depressed, or when i was in every gear except 4th. My car still makes this noise. I have been told it is one of the bearings in the transmission. My tranny had a very small leak in the output seal (slight seepage basically), and i believe that is what caused the damage. The bearing that is damaged became damaged because of a lack of lubrication (tranny oil wasn't as full as it should have been). So the only thing i believe that will fix it, is to get the tranny rebuilt, and have the damaged bearing replaced. (not a cheap fix either). I'm just going to wait until I upgrade and get a 6-speed getrag (of course this will be after I've gone boost ) ...

-=nathan
Old 10-12-05, 09:02 PM
NPSC303
Lead Lap

Also, does anyone else have a noisy clutch simply when they depress it. Like a loud squeeky sound? Almost like your stepping on a bird? Sometimes mine does it, and sometimes it doesn't. It's almost like it has to do with the humidity...
Old 10-12-05, 10:09 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

yes i have all the sounds mentioned in this thread. i have the whirring of the tranny when not stepping on the clutch, i used to have the chirping of the pilot bearing, and i still have a really squeaky clutch when i step on it almost all the time. not qutie sure what causes it
Old 10-12-05, 10:16 PM
deruvian
Driver

Originally Posted by NPSC303
Also, does anyone else have a noisy clutch simply when they depress it. Like a loud squeeky sound? Almost like your stepping on a bird? Sometimes mine does it, and sometimes it doesn't. It's almost like it has to do with the humidity...
Are you talking about when the pedal is completely depressed, or during the motion of pushing the pedal in? (Slightly vague question, sorry).

My pedal occasionally squeaks during movement. It happens so little that I'm not at all worried, or about to take any action on it. When it starts to occur more often, I'll probably get some lithium grease to remedy the squeak.

This weekend I'll be flushing the clutch pedal fluid, so here's hoping that it will at least feel a little better!
Old 10-12-05, 10:20 PM
NPSC303
Lead Lap

I was refering to the noise when moving it. There are actually two sounds, one is like a faint chirp that it does almost always. The other is a very loud sound like a door creeping open slowly (if i depress the pedal slowly) That one is embarrasing, as you can clearly hear it loudly eminating from beneath the vehicle. Though that one only happens about 50% of the time, maybe a little more...
Old 10-12-05, 10:23 PM
NPSC303
Lead Lap

Also the reason the tech believed that the "throw out bearing" noise has to do with the tranny internals is because you hear the sound in every gear except 4th.
Old 10-12-05, 10:37 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

Originally Posted by deruvian
Are you talking about when the pedal is completely depressed, or during the motion of pushing the pedal in? (Slightly vague question, sorry).

My pedal occasionally squeaks during movement. It happens so little that I'm not at all worried, or about to take any action on it. When it starts to occur more often, I'll probably get some lithium grease to remedy the squeak.

This weekend I'll be flushing the clutch pedal fluid, so here's hoping that it will at least feel a little better!
dont mean to hijack but it is slightly related: how exactly ar eyou going to go about flushing the clutch fluid? is there a bleeder screw similar to the brakes?

Quick Reply: Help me with this clutch noise...