Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Just got a 93 SC4, and some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-05, 12:53 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up Just got a 93 SC4, and some questions.

Hey guys, Just got a 93 SC400 today, and finally joined the ranks of the SC crew

I know every bolt of my LS, but I知 a newb with the SC, so bare with me.

I have a problem with this spaceship (go ahead and laugh) type noise when I accelerate, it seems to be coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment , and only when the transmission is in Drive. Its annoying, and I cant really explain it. It ALMOST sounds like static from the speakers, but its of lower frequency, and increases as I accelerate. Its driving me nuts trying to figure it out

Also, another thing, there is excessive heat from the driver foot well area while driving, what痴 up with that? Is this a common issue? I知 talking excessive! (I remember hearing something about this with the SC430's, and not sure if its the same problem).

Last thing, I hear this rattle and clicking from the exhaust area while I知 driving (the clicking almost sounds like the compressor is engaging and disengaging). In addition, after a short drive, when I turn off the ignition and exit the car, I hear all kinds of clicking noises from the exhaust (A LOT) I知 sure the two problems are related, but what could they be?

Sorry if any are common issues, if they are, please feel free to include any keywords that I can use to search, thanks a lot guys
Old 09-16-05, 04:44 AM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have that same problem too when I accelerate. I can't figure it out.
Old 09-16-05, 04:52 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding the heat ... there are a couple of threads about that

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=heat+footwell

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=heat+footwell

There are others but I can't find them right now.
Old 09-17-05, 12:41 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by laxdude362
I have that same problem too when I accelerate. I can't figure it out.
Today I drove it, and I was thinking maybe it was something with the driveshaft?
Old 09-19-05, 06:58 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The one question I can answer for you is regarding to the exhaust clicking after the car is off. All SC's do this. Don't know offhand the exact reason why (it has been discussed here though), but it is not cause for concern. Mine clicks away like crazy after a drive!
Old 09-19-05, 03:48 PM
YZFR1
Driver

Originally Posted by mkorsu
The one question I can answer for you is regarding to the exhaust clicking after the car is off. All SC's do this. Don't know offhand the exact reason why (it has been discussed here though), but it is not cause for concern. Mine clicks away like crazy after a drive!

Agree 1000000 %............................................. they all do this

Dan
Old 09-19-05, 10:08 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to the SC side of the pond!
Old 09-20-05, 08:44 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After I advanced the ignition timing with the Unichip, the exhaust has been cooler; another positive side effect from tuning.
Old 09-21-05, 09:20 PM
SCEE
Driver School Candidate

If you pay close attention to where the clicking is coming from you will find out that its coming from the headers. I think its because when your driving your car you know how hot the headers and exhuast get... so when you turn it off the headers are trying to come back to normal temp.
..thats what i think.. makes sence though.
Old 09-22-05, 06:30 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SCEE
If you pay close attention to where the clicking is coming from you will find out that its coming from the headers. I think its because when your driving your car you know how hot the headers and exhuast get... so when you turn it off the headers are trying to come back to normal temp.

We have a winna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-24-05, 12:58 PM
neoprelude
Driver

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Hey guys, Just got a 93 SC400 today, and finally joined the ranks of the SC crew

I know every bolt of my LS, but I知 a newb with the SC, so bare with me.

I have a problem with this spaceship (go ahead and laugh) type noise when I accelerate, it seems to be coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment , and only when the transmission is in Drive. Its annoying, and I cant really explain it. It ALMOST sounds like static from the speakers, but its of lower frequency, and increases as I accelerate. Its driving me nuts trying to figure it out
If it's coming from the speakers and as the RPM goes up, the sound gets louder and higher pitched. This is most likely a cause of engine noise in the audio, do you have aftermarket cd player or anything? Here is how to diagnose and choose which filter to buy http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/le..._diagnose.html
Old 09-25-05, 12:26 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Thank you all for your help, and welcome. I've always admired the SC, ever since i rode in my friends 92 SC3 back in highschool.

Now, the only reason I suspected the noise after I turn off the engine was because the mufflers make a rattling noise when I知 driving, and when I go over slight road imperfections. Almost sounds like two pieces of metal barely touching each other, kinda like a rattle. Except I cant figure out what痴 causing it.

Originally Posted by neoprelude
If it's coming from the speakers and as the RPM goes up, the sound gets louder and higher pitched. This is most likely a cause of engine noise in the audio, do you have aftermarket CD player or anything? Here is how to diagnose and choose which filter to buy http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/le..._diagnose.html
That was my first guess. However, I tried throwing it in neutral while the car is rolling, and the sound went away. That痴 why I started to suspect the driveshaft. I have the stock system btw. Nevertheless, I will try to diagnose the speakers, to look for any injured wires, or connections. I will first start by unplugging the AMP. THANKS for the great link bro

You guys have been great help
Old 09-25-05, 12:28 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by SCEE
Makes perfect sense. I only wish I knew why the rattling when im driving over road imperfections?
Old 09-25-05, 11:44 AM
Mikethe1st
Rookie

Its not the header making the ticking sound. When i had my car on the rack the other day the engine was still hot. The ticking was coming from the cats, resonators, but I believe it was the heatshields near those areas. The heatshield would make a lot of sense since its a really thin metal and more susceptible to expanding and contracting to heat changes. Im sure a cat-back would cure this.