Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Question about the Oil Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-05, 10:48 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the Oil Light

When the oil light turns on, does it mean you have around a quart of oil left or does it mean you have lost around a quart of oil from the normal 5 and 1/2 quarts your suppose to have. I always thought it was around 1 quart of oil left in the entire tank but 96sc3 said it was around 1 quart of oil from the top.
Old 09-06-05, 04:47 AM
SwampFox
Rookie

Default Good God Man

End Of Message
Old 09-06-05, 05:08 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

means replace and refill your oil right away!

And drivign with only one quart left ?!!?! Thats insane!!
Old 09-06-05, 08:40 AM
Kilo
Instructor

I hear you brotha. What happened to the Valve cover gasket and o-ring replacement day? hehe
Old 09-06-05, 08:44 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrshabo
When the oil light turns on, does it mean you have around a quart of oil left or does it mean you have lost around a quart of oil from the normal 5 and 1/2 quarts your suppose to have. I always thought it was around 1 quart of oil left in the entire tank but 96sc3 said it was around 1 quart of oil from the top.
what does your dipstick say?
Old 09-06-05, 10:20 AM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

on my mom's 01 camry the engine blew because it was running on little to no oil. lesson learned: dont rely on an oil light, just check the dipstick often.

i hate relying on electronic reminders anyways
Old 09-06-05, 10:47 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Xevuhtess7
on my mom's 01 camry the engine blew because it was running on little to no oil. lesson learned: dont rely on an oil light, just check the dipstick often.

i hate relying on electronic reminders anyways

Hence the term "idiot lights". By the time they come on, it's most likely too late.
Old 09-06-05, 11:54 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you had 1 quart of oil left in the pan your engine would be toast by now. 1 quart would not provide enough lubrication or heat transfer.

Scott
Old 09-06-05, 05:44 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

So which is it, closer to 1 quart or 4?
Old 09-06-05, 06:02 PM
SC4Million
Driver

it's 4. Just put oil in it.

Mine just came on today, my enigine "eats" about one quart every 3,000 miles. Guess it's time to break open a new bottle of Mobil One.
Old 09-08-05, 02:02 PM
Project300
Driver

The oil dummy light on the dash will come on if the level is low or pressure is low. But you cant tell which it is. Whenever the oil light comes on, shut off the engine IMMEDIATLY. If you are in traffic pull over and kill the engine. Otherwise the engine could be junk. Carry a spare quart in the trunk and your'e good.
Old 09-08-05, 03:02 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Project300
The oil dummy light on the dash will come on if the level is low or pressure is low. But you cant tell which it is. Whenever the oil light comes on, shut off the engine IMMEDIATLY. If you are in traffic pull over and kill the engine. Otherwise the engine could be junk.
Wrong. Please don't spread misinformation like this.

The SC's have 2 oil warning lights. One light warns that the oil LEVEL is low, as in Mr Shabo's case (Shabo, add a damn quart of oil to your car please so this thread can die!) and an oil PRESSURE warning light. If the oil LEVEL light comes on, add some oil (Shabo you listening?) and if the oil PRESSURE warning light comes on then shut off the engine and contact a mechanic.

One light has a little wavy line underneath the oil can symbol (looks like Aladdin's lamp) and the other has a drop of oil dripping from the tip of the oil can symbol (the same Alladin lamp looking thing). Are we clear now fellas? Please say yes.

-M.
Old 09-08-05, 05:27 PM
SC4Million
Driver

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
Wrong. Please don't spread misinformation like this.

The SC's have 2 oil warning lights. One light warns that the oil LEVEL is low, as in Mr Shabo's case (Shabo, add a damn quart of oil to your car please so this thread can die!) and an oil PRESSURE warning light. If the oil LEVEL light comes on, add some oil (Shabo you listening?) and if the oil PRESSURE warning light comes on then shut off the engine and contact a mechanic.

One light has a little wavy line underneath the oil can symbol (looks like Aladdin's lamp) and the other has a drop of oil dripping from the tip of the oil can symbol (the same Alladin lamp looking thing). Are we clear now fellas? Please say yes.

-M.
Yep he's right.

YELLOW (For Caution) Oil light is low oil LEVEL.
RED (For Stop) Oil light is for low oil PRESSURE

Old 09-08-05, 05:38 PM
Project300
Driver

Default Careful...

Let me be more specific for the sake of MrShabo's engine and others who use this forum to share and receive useful info. Thanks for the "clarification" mikeloc but show some tact next time. Misinformation I never give and attitude I never take.

Yes, there are 2 oil warning lights, but MrShabo didn't say which one he saw. The one inside of the tach just below the "5" is the "Low engine level warning light". The other one at the lower right of the instrument panel is the "Low oil pressure warning light".

From the 1993 SC 300/400 owners manual:

"Low Oil Pressure Warning Light"
This light warns that the pressure is too low.

If it flickers or stays on while you are driving, pull off the road to a safe place and stop the engine immediatly. Call a Lexus dealer or qualified repair shop for assistance.

The light may occasionally flicker when the engine is idling or it may come on briefly after a hard stop. There is no cause for concern if it then goes out when the engine is accelerated slightly.

The light may come on when the oil level is extremely low. It is not designated to indicate low oil level, and the oil level must be checked using the oil level dipstick.

Notice: Do not drive the vehilce with the warning light on - even for one block. It may ruin the engine.

"Low engine oil level warning light"

This light warns that the engine oil level is too low. Add oil as soon as possible.

Notice: Continued engine operation with low engine oil will cause the engine to be damaged.
Hope this is helpful to MrShabo.

Anybody who wants this thread to die should not post here, even if their post counter is 4 digits long.
Old 09-09-05, 10:49 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Project300
Anybody who wants this thread to die should not post here
Actually, anyone who posts MISINFORMATION should not post here

And I don't care about what you take or don't take, don't post wrong info, maybe that's asking too much of you?

Shabo, you have your answer bro. Good luck

Quick Reply: Question about the Oil Light