Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I've got lots of issues with my 1JZ I can't solve - ECU, fuel, a/f, etc

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-05, 07:28 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've got lots of issues with my 1JZ I can't solve - ECU, fuel, a/f, etc

Ok well i thought i had my running rich problem solved, but its starting to do it again. The PROBLEM is, something is destroying my fuel pumps, causing them to be overworked and to pump out WAYYYY too much fuel volume.

I bought another ECU but it turns out to be defective and i have to return it, i think thats whats wrong with my car, bad ecu also. I have sensor failure lights going off in ECU codes, and i can put GOOD sensors from my other car in, reset the ECU and they still read failure.

I have all the parts i need now to put in my 1jzgte in "stock" form, its costing me too much $$$ to keep fixing this freakin engine i dont even want, i think i just might start the converstion process, im starting to get really pissed. I really dont want to put it in stock but i guess im being forced to.
Old 08-25-05, 02:42 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
Ok well i thought i had my running rich problem solved, but its starting to do it again. The PROBLEM is, something is destroying my fuel pumps, causing them to be overworked and to pump out WAYYYY too much fuel volume.

I bought another ECU but it turns out to be defective and i have to return it, i think thats whats wrong with my car, bad ecu also. I have sensor failure lights going off in ECU codes, and i can put GOOD sensors from my other car in, reset the ECU and they still read failure.

I have all the parts i need now to put in my 1jzgte in "stock" form, its costing me too much $$$ to keep fixing this freakin engine i dont even want, i think i just might start the converstion process, im starting to get really pissed. I really dont want to put it in stock but i guess im being forced to.
Your fuel pump can pump out as much volume as it wants, it still wont cause your car to run rich. The problem there would be the fuel pressure regulator.
Old 08-25-05, 02:50 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

I think it would be wise to swap the motor and get it to crank & run stock, from the factory, no modifications. That's the easiest way to do it, because when problems arise, you don't have two sets of problems to consult, one of factory defect, and one of aftermarket defect. Go with a stock setup first to get all the kinks out, and then mod-away. The most important thing is to get the thing running, the power will come later.
Old 08-25-05, 03:02 PM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

why dont you try the stock ecu out of the 93 you just bought? I'd even try the fuel pump computer out of that car. Just makes more sense
Old 08-25-05, 03:05 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

well its the 2JZGE motor not 1JZ as the topic states.. Its not the FPR making it run rich, its the ECU.. It destroyed one of my fuel pumps because it was running it past its duty cycle, and its starting to do it to my soarer pump. The ECU is telling the car its running really lean at any rpm so it feeds it fuel as if it were running at WOT. Im getting an air temp error light, but even with a good mass air sensor, i still get it after reset. I got another ECU but its defective, the car will not start on it.

I WILL be putting my stock 1JZGTE in maybe in as little as 2 weeks now, im tired of this problem and wasting $$ on a motor i dont want in the car. I have another sc300 to drive now so that isnt an issue. Im just waiting for my 1jzgte ecu to arrive via DHL from austraulia and an intake gasket and the motor swap begins!
Old 08-25-05, 03:08 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DETUNED
why dont you try the stock ecu out of the 93 you just bought? I'd even try the fuel pump computer out of that car. Just makes more sense

the other car is the daily driver/beater... not touching that one or possibly frying parts from that car by putting it in mine, it runs perfect and i plan to keep it that way. I apparently have an ECU problem, fuel or car... most likely car ecu since i can unplug crap like o2 sensors and it wont report an error code for it lol...
Old 08-25-05, 03:13 PM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

so if you "WILL" put in the 1jz within the next couple weeks and have a daily driver, why are you posting this useless post?
Old 08-25-05, 03:14 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

well i was wondering if anyone had this issue? i kinda want this thing running so i can sell it after i take it out
Old 08-25-05, 03:16 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by got_trd
i think you just need an *ahem*fuelpumpecu*ahem* ask around and do a search and you decide
You didnt take my advice the first time. Maybe you should this time mr. I know all about my car
Old 08-25-05, 03:19 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

ok, fuel pump ecu.. why would that make the car run ultra rich? It just regulates the ECU voltage up to 12v's. My car does not stall and it idles fine. When the problem "happens", it makes the car run so rich it misfires. Making the fuel pump have 12v all the time will not do that. Could maybe be the FPR, but i can tell its an ECU issue because when the "air temp" check engine light comes on, the car will run really rich for a min and then clear up. If i give it WOT on the hgihway for a min, it will run ultra rich after that for 30sec. Its not the mass air sensor, already swapped it for another one. The error its giving is false. My next step might be if i can get a schematics of the ECU harness to test the wires to see if any is cut.

I dont want to swap out the ECU out of the other car just in case its a wiring short, and i end up with 2 bad computers...

Last edited by VJ RC51; 08-25-05 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-25-05, 03:32 PM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

Did you check the O2's to make sure they were cycling?
Old 08-25-05, 03:33 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

well, first off, the title states... issues with my 1JZ.... it should state 2JZ. anyways, david should have a spare fuel pump computer in that box of parts i gave him. try asking nicely. if that doesnt work, try a junk yard.
Old 08-25-05, 03:39 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

I can unplug the O2 sensors and it doenst change a thing OR set off a check engine light!!!!! Air temp light is the only thing the ECU will store. It goes right back to that if i reset the ECU and even use a GOOD mass air sensor that i know works!

If the fuel ECU i can change for ghits and siggles if its cheap enough from that guy! Or just hardwire it to 12v.

Last edited by VJ RC51; 08-25-05 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-25-05, 03:50 PM
Dramon
Driver

You know, there could always be a short in the wiring.

I'd bust out the ol' multimeter and make sure that your connectins are still good.
Old 08-25-05, 03:54 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dramon
You know, there could always be a short in the wiring.

I'd bust out the ol' multimeter and make sure that your connectins are still good.

yeah once i find or someone point me to a schematics to the ECU harness to what wire is what, ill take the multimeter and start testing to see if any wires are broken.

Quick Reply: I've got lots of issues with my 1JZ I can't solve - ECU, fuel, a/f, etc