Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Best year of SC to buy for 2JZ-GTE swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-05, 03:02 PM
Wreckless
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best year of SC to buy for 2JZ-GTE swap

Hello guys & gals.

I'm new to the idea of a Lex but I'm not new to boosted Toyota power, I've had several 3rd generation Supras, and several friends of mine have MK4 Supras, SW20 MR2 Turbos, and even ST185 Celica All Tracs.
But I'm getting tired of babysitting the 7M-GTE's found in my MK3. I considered a 2JZ-GTE swap into one of my existing MK3 Supras but after meeting a gentleman from Durango named Greg W that has a 2JZ-GTE/T66/BL trans/75 shot that ran constant mid 11's@125+ with an almost 9000ft DA at the drag strip, I got interested in perhaps getting an SC300 for the swap instead.

I'd be getting the car with the intent of doing an Aristo 2JZ-GTE swap. I've searched comprehensively and looked all throughout many posts on this forum and read about 80% of Intellextual.net and www.lextreme.com as well.
However, nothing specifically corresponds to an ideal year for parts support, any weird changes, etc. Since emissions where I live in Albuquerque, NM here is OBD-II based for 96+ years I'd be getting a 92-95.

Is there any year of that range that is more ideal than the others? Also, I've found conflicting information on the auto--->5-spd/6-spd swap in an SC, is it as easy as an OBD-I MK4 Supra auto-6spd swap, or are there other complications that would make it much easier to start with a 5-spd? I've searched, I promise, go easy on me

-Jeff
Old 08-12-05, 03:17 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think i've had to say this just about everyday this week
Attached Thumbnails Best year of SC to buy for 2JZ-GTE swap-cl.jpg  
Old 08-12-05, 07:48 PM
Wreckless
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by got_trd
I think i've had to say this just about everyday this week
Did you even read my post? Thanks for your worthless one.
All the searching I've tried on CL doesn't do me any good because all the threads asking the same questions are just full of posts like yours, and HAVE NO REAL INFORMATION!!!

Is this the i-supra of the lexus world or what?

BTW, you misspelled 'Bilstein' in your sig.

Last edited by Wreckless; 08-12-05 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-12-05, 08:22 PM
vududoc
Rookie

stick with a pre ODB2 for ease of install. I have the 92 with a 97/98 motor.
my 92 doesnt have the 2nd airbag so it was one less thing to get in my way when screwing around with wiring. i say stay away from TEMS and TRC to make your wiring job go quicker.
Old 08-13-05, 05:31 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

if you want to go 6 speed & obd 1 you should look for a '95 5 speed. from what i understand theres no mods to the trans tunnel to go 6 speed
i have a '92 & had to mod the top of the trans tunnel to accomodate the 6 speed (originally a 5 speed car) similar to the auto -> 6 speed mod on MKIV, used the same floor pan & all
really wasn't that bad - but still more work
you could also look for a auto (cheaper & eaiser to find) w/ the intent of modding the tunnel
the biggest hurdel w/ auto's is the pedals - i seen a few swapped supras w/ booger welding,
cracked brackets, etc & its a mess (guess the right way is to pull the dash - dont know never
wanted to do 1 or try & fix 'em)
hope this helped
john
Old 08-13-05, 06:07 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

OBD1 car would be my choice. Remember with the Aristo swap you will have a few changes, such as the oil pan, etc. Your best bet would be to make the motor US status [fuel,maf,turbos,etc]. Have you researched the 1JZ swap? It would be alot less complicated.......
Old 08-14-05, 07:37 AM
turbo6
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

97+, they look better
Old 08-14-05, 08:12 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

u can always replace the pre-1997 cars with 1997 front bumper so those cars can still look "better."
Old 08-14-05, 08:14 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownDuckz
OBD1 car would be my choice. Remember with the Aristo swap you will have a few changes, such as the oil pan, etc. Your best bet would be to make the motor US status [fuel,maf,turbos,etc]
Agreed. OBDI will probably be easier for you to work with than OBDII
Old 08-14-05, 09:32 AM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Originally Posted by BrownDuckz
OBD1 car would be my choice. Remember with the Aristo swap you will have a few changes, such as the oil pan, etc. Your best bet would be to make the motor US status [fuel,maf,turbos,etc]. Have you researched the 1JZ swap? It would be alot less complicated.......
bash me if you like - the 1jz MAYBE easier, but its smaller w/ a much more limited avalibilty of upgrade parts here in the u.s. (think about how much new/used stuff is out there for the 2jz-gte)

i beleave the '97 is not an option because he needs to stay pre '96 for emissions exemption
in his state (but yes they do look better - i think i'm # 458 in line for a used '97 conversion - LOL)
Old 08-14-05, 10:38 AM
Wreckless
Driver School Candidate

Question

Originally Posted by supra dr
if you want to go 6 speed & obd 1 you should look for a '95 5 speed. from what i understand theres no mods to the trans tunnel to go 6 speed
i have a '92 & had to mod the top of the trans tunnel to accomodate the 6 speed (originally a 5 speed car) similar to the auto -> 6 speed mod on MKIV, used the same floor pan & all
really wasn't that bad - but still more work
you could also look for a auto (cheaper & eaiser to find) w/ the intent of modding the tunnel
the biggest hurdel w/ auto's is the pedals - i seen a few swapped supras w/ booger welding,
cracked brackets, etc & its a mess (guess the right way is to pull the dash - dont know never
wanted to do 1 or try & fix 'em)
hope this helped
john
John, does that mean that only the existing 5-spd SC300's have the holes and hardware in the firewall to mount a clutch pedal/clutch master? I've spoken with several people who've done NA->TT swapped MK4's and have told me its a bolt-on deal except on '98's NA's where the wiring is a little interesting.

Thanks everyone for the informative posts! I'm well aware of the Aristo's oil pan/sump differences because the same applies to a Supra swap.
A perk of buying an SC300 is that I'll get a perfectly good pan & sump that bolts onto the 2JZ-GTE off of the existing GE. I would actually stay with the JDM ECU from the Aristo cut, and just go aftermarket fuel and possibly even a single right off the bat, running off of an Emanage Ultimate and enjoying the factory MAP system the Aristo and other JDM 2JZ-GTE's have.

I ruled out the 1JZ swap exactly because parts are such a PITA to find. Its an amazing engine no doubt, but the parts support for the 2JZ-GTE is not going to dry up anytime soon.

Keep the info coming!
Old 08-14-05, 10:56 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Since you had to whine about my "uninformative" post...... Give DETUNED a pm as he has done the 2jz-gte swap and the thread IS around here somewhere.
Old 08-14-05, 11:50 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by supra dr
bash me if you like - the 1jz MAYBE easier, but its smaller w/ a much more limited avalibilty of upgrade parts here in the u.s. (think about how much new/used stuff is out there for the 2jz-gte)

i beleave the '97 is not an option because he needs to stay pre '96 for emissions exemption
in his state (but yes they do look better - i think i'm # 458 in line for a used '97 conversion - LOL)
There is no need to bash anyone..... the 1JZ swap is easier, more straight-forward, and less complicated. There is no argument against the 2JZ having more aftermarket, it's not an opinion - that's a fact. The 1JZ has .5 liter less displacement, but IMO that's not holding it back... at least yet - since no one has tested the limits. If it was deemed a restrictor you could slap a 2JZ block to it.
Old 08-14-05, 01:14 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

please correct me if i'm wrong - but from what i remember the the xtra mounting tabs for the larger 3 pedal bracket were nonexsistant on the auto body - which is were the ghetto welding stuff started

anyone w/ a auto want to look for unused mounting tabs/treaded studs under the dash above the left kick panel??
Old 08-15-05, 08:39 AM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

My car was an auto and now has the getrag 6 speed. You can clearly see where you have to drill the 3 holes for the Clutch master cylinder. I did no welding whatsoever and was very straightforward and easy. prob took no more than 15 minutes to drill all the holes and mount it up.

Quick Reply: Best year of SC to buy for 2JZ-GTE swap