Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

uh turbo time NA-T feed me!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 02:33 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by chidoks
my setup was cheaper and better... lol
no it wasn't. You used the Boost Logic piping kit and do not have a duct. Including shipping, silicone couplers & clamps, labor to have your fmic mounted, and fmic itself, I'm pretty sure you paid more than $500 total. tell the truth! Let's not forget the intercoolers in my kit are brand new and not used (your fmic) .

Last edited by dejacky; 06-20-06 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-21-06, 07:40 AM
chidoks
Pole Position

the boostlogic piping came with couplers and clamps.. i dont need a duct.. my fmic would have cost me $50 more if i bought it new.. $150 for the fmic, $350 for the brand new never used BL piping kit with all the couplers. $500 total.. Who counts labor when comparing the cost of the parts? My setup also looks cleaner

Originally Posted by dejacky
no it wasn't. You used the Boost Logic piping kit and do not have a duct. Including shipping, silicone couplers & clamps, labor to have your fmic mounted, and fmic itself, I'm pretty sure you paid more than $500 total. tell the truth! Let's not forget the intercoolers in my kit are brand new and not used (your fmic) .
Old 06-21-06, 09:59 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by chidoks
the boostlogic piping came with couplers and clamps.. i dont need a duct.. my fmic would have cost me $50 more if i bought it new.. $150 for the fmic, $350 for the brand new never used BL piping kit with all the couplers. $500 total.. Who counts labor when comparing the cost of the parts? My setup also looks cleaner
You forgot to mention the cost of fabricating brackets for your intercooler . You don't even have an intake air filter! Also, my setup is not complete so you can't compare "cleanliness of setups." At least all the parts in my kit are brand new.

Last edited by dejacky; 06-25-06 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-30-06, 02:33 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Lightbulb

my, what nice things $25 can do these days :

Preparing the engine for the machine shop:

Last edited by dejacky; 06-30-06 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-30-06, 09:23 AM
Nore474
Driver School Candidate

wow this thread is very informative i just spent about an hour reading this whole thing and learning. My cousin John from Broadway-performance.com has had two fully swapped pearl white 2jz sc300 w/ 6speed transmissions he also single turboed them both one with a t66db and the next one coming is going to be a t67db. check them out on his site they are awesome! since his influence i've been searching every where to find a sc300 5spd around my area (northern Jersey) to turbo Hopefully soon I will find one. But i appreciate this whole guide you put together for us newbies
Old 07-01-06, 04:49 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Red face

Hopefully, the engine block will be out and @ the machine shop in a few hours :

damn carbon deposits on the engine block surface can be a PITA to remove

Last edited by dejacky; 07-01-06 at 04:55 AM.
Old 07-01-06, 11:23 AM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

Man at this point a GTE swap would have been cheaper (really either the 1jzgte or 2jzgte).. You are a trooper for sticking it out. in the words of Rick James " I wish I had 4 hands so I could give you 4 thumbs up"..
Old 07-01-06, 01:58 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Wink

thanks . The labor for removing the engine is free and the machine shop is giving me a good deal to inspect the engine block. the entire point of doing this is to avoid doing it twice. if the crankshaft is scarred, i'll just get another engine for cheap. if the engine block is good, then i'll get a used head for cheap...so the purpose is to save money that i don't have

Update:

2JZ vs. Engine Hoist

Last edited by dejacky; 07-08-06 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-08-06, 03:07 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i sent you an im on aol about the clutch.... give yourself more room than that to get that block out. you need that hoist to be able to move a good 3 feet to get it out with the hood on so as to not damage anything on the car. If the radiator isnt already out take that out and it will help a ton, it should give you a good 3-5 inches of extra clearance to move the block forward and start pivoting the front of the block up.
Old 07-08-06, 04:19 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Talking

Thanks vipsoarer. After unscrewing the 6 bolts, I just had to pry between the RPS pressure plate and flywheel to remove the pp/clutch disc combo . You're right, I could only get the engine out with the hood still on by removing the radiator (easy, just unscrew 2 bolts on each upper corner holding radiator in place ) Project eye candy:

Old 07-08-06, 04:21 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Just some more knowledge sharing for all of you :

Old 07-11-06, 12:25 AM
Thrust
Driver School Candidate

I have read this post from beginning to end, and I must say thanks for taking the time out to cronicle your experience with turboing your car. I am still on the fence about going through getting a sc300 and turboing it. However reading about your install is pushing me towards getting one. You will be at that 400rwhp mark soon! Oh yeah, while you have it out, you might as well paint the engine.
Old 07-12-06, 11:34 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Thrust
I have read this post from beginning to end, and I must say thanks for taking the time out to cronicle your experience with turboing your car. I am still on the fence about going through getting a sc300 and turboing it. However reading about your install is pushing me towards getting one. You will be at that 400rwhp mark soon! Oh yeah, while you have it out, you might as well paint the engine.
Thanks for the appreciation . You can also buy a fully legalized Toyota Soarer for~$8,000-$8,500 if you don't mind right hand drive. This is cheaper than turboing a Lexus SC300. I'll finish the intercooler piping when the engine is back in the car.
Old 07-13-06, 04:19 PM
bens sc
Lead Lap

how are you doing on your car?
i keep checking your thread to see how it is going, i almost feel like i am racing you to see who finishes first...lol but your doing WAYYYYYY more work than i am.
good luck and thanks for so many great informative threads!
Old 07-13-06, 05:28 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Red face

The machine shop won't be able to tear down the engine until Monday since they're so busy . so it's a waiting game, but at least i'm in line

Quick Reply: uh turbo time NA-T feed me!