Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Where can i get Crank pully tool for a 300?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-05, 12:45 AM
sniper
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where can i get Crank pully tool for a 300?

Where can i buy/rent the tool to remove the crank pullly of a 300 motor? the motor is out of the car and i dont have air tools just yet. Can i make a tool or find some other way to get it off with out needing the tool? When it was in the car we tryed to put it in gear and with the e brake tight but it still didnt budge.
Old 07-04-05, 01:00 AM
OakTwnPnoy
Rookie

Originally Posted by sniper
Where can i buy/rent the tool to remove the crank pullly of a 300 motor? the motor is out of the car and i dont have air tools just yet. Can i make a tool or find some other way to get it off with out needing the tool? When it was in the car we tryed to put it in gear and with the e brake tight but it still didnt budge.
Autozone loans out tools for free. You just have to give them a deposit. When you're done, just bring it back and they will give you your money back.
Old 07-04-05, 01:12 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by OakTwnPnoy
Autozone loans out tools for free. You just have to give them a deposit. When you're done, just bring it back and they will give you your money back.
And if you like the tool enough you can just keep it without any additional costs...

I got my first set of spring compressors this way theyre were brand new so... I decided to keep em! When I needed a second set I rented and returned them.. nowhere near as good condition as my set!
Old 07-04-05, 03:31 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

it probably would have been easier to take that pulley off when the engine was still in the car. you can get a long breaker bar and have it rest somewhere sturdy under the car and crank it. it should loosen the bolt fairly easy. now since the motor is out the way i did it was to lay the motor on the side so when your putting leverage on a breaker bar it doesn't push the engine over and have one or a couple people stand on it cause the engine is going to want to move. i tried to impact it first but it did nothing so i heated up the bolt then tried with the breaker bar and the engine would want to tilt over so thats when i layed it on its side and had a couple of my friends stand on it while i lossen the crank pulley bolt with a big *** breaker bar. hope that helps.

~Kevin
Old 07-04-05, 03:32 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

btw...your also going to need a gear puller to get the crank pulley off once you get the bolt off.

~Kevin
Old 07-04-05, 09:21 PM
OakTwnPnoy
Rookie

you can use a chain wrench like this to hold the pulley down so the engine won't move.

Old 07-04-05, 10:15 PM
sniper
Lead Lap

i know all about autozones tool rentals but i dont think they have the tool that i need, and yes i know ill need a gear puller. i just need to find the tool that has the 2 studs/bolts to fit into the pully. I dont think the chain wrench will hold tight enough but ill give it a shot. Heating up the bolt doesnt seem like it would help much as it would make the bolt expand and set it harder into the crank no?

Anyone know the exact size of the crank bolt head?
Old 07-05-05, 08:28 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 5spdSC300
it probably would have been easier to take that pulley off when the engine was still in the car. you can get a long breaker bar and have it rest somewhere sturdy under the car and crank it. it should loosen the bolt fairly easy. now since the motor is out the way i did it was to lay the motor on the side so when your putting leverage on a breaker bar it doesn't push the engine over and have one or a couple people stand on it cause the engine is going to want to move. i tried to impact it first but it did nothing so i heated up the bolt then tried with the breaker bar and the engine would want to tilt over so thats when i layed it on its side and had a couple of my friends stand on it while i lossen the crank pulley bolt with a big *** breaker bar. hope that helps.

~Kevin
I did this and my battery exploded

BAD ADVICE... check the water level in your battery

Just jack the car up, use a really long breaker bar and get the crank nut off...
after that, just use the autozone tool and you're good

I think the nut is a 22mm or a 24mm
Old 07-05-05, 10:44 PM
sniper
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bean
I did this and my battery exploded

BAD ADVICE... check the water level in your battery

Just jack the car up, use a really long breaker bar and get the crank nut off...
after that, just use the autozone tool and you're good

I think the nut is a 22mm or a 24mm

What autozone tool? Maybe my autozone doesnt carry it
Old 07-07-05, 02:02 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure they do... I bought one. Its a generic crank pulley puller... It has clamps on the outside that are adjustable and a bolt/stud thing in the middle that presses on the crank pulley mounting stud (which the crank pulley nut goes on)