Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc300 Radiator question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-05, 03:47 PM
sc300tttt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc300 Radiator question

ok, I was driving my car in a parking lot, when all of a sudden I noticed that the temp guage was all the way up to as hot as it would go. I shut the car off immediately and opened the hook, which hurt like hell because the engine was pouring out steam.

It seems that the black part on top of the radiator had sprung a large crack, and the fluid had been spraying out of the crack until it was all gone. My question is that the radiator itself (metal part) seems to be intact. It is the piece on top of it that has cracked. its the piece that has the metal screw off cap that says "do not open when engine is hot".

If the problem is only with this peice, do I need to buy a whole new radiator, as the ones I looked at online didnt seem to come with that black piece. Could i just buy and replace the part that has a crack in it, and keep the radiator thats in it now.

If i do indeed need a new radiator does anyone have any suggestions on websites that sell them for the absolute cheapest. I have no money at all, and really need to get this done as cost effective as possible. I called a shop in town and they told me a new one would be $380, thn I look online and see them for like $165. also labor was quoted at $150....is that about right, doesnt seem to bad to me.

Thanks!
Old 07-01-05, 04:41 PM
KidPandJ
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not sure about our radiators, cause i've never looked at em that close before, but if it's metal ends with metal core then you can just buy new ends. If it has composite ends then they can't be replaced. You just have to buy a whole new radiator.
Old 07-01-05, 05:05 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

we have composite ends so you'd probably have to pick up a new radiator. i had the same thing happen to me but it was due to the crank pulley falling apart causing the water pump not to work and over heating my car. as for labor, its fairly easy so i'd say to save the labor money if your tight on funds and do it yourself. just need to buy coolant and you should be fine.

~Kevin
Old 07-01-05, 08:20 PM
KidPandJ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 5spdSC300
we have composite ends so you'd probably have to pick up a new radiator. i had the same thing happen to me but it was due to the crank pulley falling apart causing the water pump not to work and over heating my car. as for labor, its fairly easy so i'd say to save the labor money if your tight on funds and do it yourself. just need to buy coolant and you should be fine.

~Kevin
Yup Yup. Definetly a do it yourself job. Far too simple to actually pay someone else for. Just pick yourself up a new radiator and handle it yourself.
Old 07-03-05, 11:23 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Default Got a great SC300 radiator for cheap

Hey sc300tttt

Where in CA are you? I just removed a perfect radiator off my SC300 5sp. No leaks, regular factory maintenance. I am installing a 2jz-gte and went with a Supra TT radiator. I can sell the SC300's radiator to you for half of what you are seeing. Let me know and I think I can help you out.

PM or better yet, email me, sfwindrider-decoy2@yahoo.com
Dave
Old 07-03-05, 11:35 AM
Kaiser
Lexus Champion

Unless he has an automatic. Then a 5sp won't do unless he loses the trans cooler feature.
Old 07-03-05, 12:07 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kaiser
the trans cooler feature.
I was wondering if there might be a difference to the auto, so that's why I said mine is from a 5-speed in my post. I am wondering if the cooler is separate and can be unbolted and moved over. But I don't know, never seen one.
Old 07-03-05, 02:57 PM
sc300tttt
Driver

in the picture I am pointing to the part that has cracked. What part it is this? if I was to buy a new radiator from a store would it come with that part? Seems to me that I would just need to purchase that, as the radiator itself wasnt leaking.
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-05, 04:24 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you need the entire radiator, as a last resort try some epoxy to see if the leak stops.
Old 07-03-05, 04:36 PM
sc300tttt
Driver

i had some sealant on there that was stopping the leak, but it just sprung a new one. Sorry to keep asking the same stuff over and over again, but now knowing that a need a new radiator my only question is does that black part in the picture come with a radiator if I bought it from an online store, and what is that part called?

thanks for the help
Old 07-03-05, 05:03 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

its called the radiator, the pastic top comes with it!
Old 07-03-05, 05:06 PM
KidPandJ
Pole Position

Yeah it's all one piece. You must have one for an automatic if your car is an automatic. The trans cooler is built into the radiator and cannot be removed.
Old 07-03-05, 05:37 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sc300tttt
i had some sealant on there that was stopping the leak, but it just sprung a new one. Sorry to keep asking the same stuff over and over again, but now knowing that a need a new radiator my only question is does that black part in the picture come with a radiator if I bought it from an online store, and what is that part called?

thanks for the help

The black part comes with the radiator and cannot be replaced its the top tank. The replacement radiator does not need to come with a top tank made out of composite material you could get ones made with an alloy and it would work just fine as long as you get the correct dimensions. I have the exact same problem as you do, only my leak comes from the seam thus kinda impossible to use epoxy to seal it.. (slow it down maybe..)

Personally till Ihave the funds to replace it with a fluidyne, im not going to get a cheapie radiator, Im just driving the car at bare minimum (2 miles each way.) And checking water level before each drive.

Now my question when it comes for the fluidyne, since my car is an automatic will I need to get a seperate tranny cooler? As well?
Old 07-03-05, 05:41 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

why do you need a fuidyne?? do you autocross?
Old 07-03-05, 06:55 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aliga
why do you need a fuidyne?? do you autocross?

used too,, and I have bigger plans in the future.. Although this sounds very very tempting, I wonder how it compares to the dimensions and materials of the fluidyne..

http://www.radiatorbarn.com/s7.asp?a...gine_size=3.0L

Anyways THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED.. SC300TTTT

127 bucks. total ugh... damn... I wonder how much better the fluidyne is over this ... must not hit order.....

includes tranny cooler and its all steel 2 row no composite.......ugh.....

Oh ya thats with FREE shipping so 127 SHIPPED.... That is like ridicoulously low priced..

Last edited by Inabj2; 07-03-05 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply: sc300 Radiator question