Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Has anyone every heard of this or have this happen to you

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-05, 04:23 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone every heard of this or have this happen to you

I was driving home last nite after picking up some food when i stepped on the clutch (i have a 5speed) to change gears and the pedal got stuck and didn't come back up. I pull over to the side of the road and went to pull the pedal up to try again but same thing, when i press the pedal all the way down it stays down and i couldn't shift into gear. im thinking my clutch went out or i have a leak in my clutch line somewhere. running out of ideas i decide to pump the clutch pedal with my hand and after a couple pumps the entire pedal comes off !!!! im assuming there must have been a crack or something on the clutch lever and it finally gave. i guess thats what 250k + miles will do but i've never heard of a clutch pedal completely snapping off. anyone have any idea how much it would cost to replace the clutch pedal assy. or do you guys think i should just take it to my friend's shop and have them weld it back on?

~Kevin
Old 05-24-05, 04:28 PM
jazn671
Rookie

that's crazy... i've never heard of that happening. snapping the clutch pedal arm? strong left leg?
Old 05-24-05, 04:44 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

Also check your clutch master and slave cylinders, these symptoms you speak of sure sound like it went out.
Old 05-24-05, 05:50 PM
JJG2005
Lead Lap

That happened on my friends car, though not a lexus. It was his master cylinder.
Old 05-24-05, 06:34 PM
techsc400
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Master cylinder

Originally Posted by JJG2005
That happened on my friends car, though not a lexus. It was his master cylinder.
I had the same experience with VW Corrado (fun little car). It was the master cylinder.
Old 05-24-05, 07:38 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

A master cylinder problem would cause a clutch pedal to stick or or have no resistance if you press it quickly ... but for it to completely come off!!

did the actual assembly snap? I've heard of clutch forks breaking on the transmission side, but never the actual pedal assembly.

Maybe this will be the start of members adding a "cryo'd clutch pedal assembly" mod to their list
Old 05-24-05, 08:10 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

MikeFD3S, please check your PMs, thanks!
Old 05-24-05, 08:11 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem with my 5-speed SC300. I replaced the slave and master cylinders and I was good as new
Old 05-25-05, 06:20 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It happened to me over 2 years ago:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/81973-my-clutch-pedal-snapped-while-driving.html

I had pictures too, but I don't know where they went in that thread. $10 says I know where it snapped too. There is a huge design flaw on those pedals. They have weak stress points that toyota failed to see. Whatever you do, don't weld it. Replace the entire thing. I ordered my pedal and waited 1 week for it to arrive. It is a special order part and only from Lexus unfortunately. I tried to find other pedals from different toyotas that might be matching such as the supra, but totally different parts.
Old 05-25-05, 02:14 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

^^ im pretty sure mine snapped where your did. the actual pedal did not snap but the lever that's connected to the pedal. the breaking point is near the top of the clutch pedal lever. i think it might be a design flaw as well making that point weak after prolong usage. i was hoping to just weld it for a quick fix so i can get the car back on the road since its my daily at the moment. do you have a part number and a rough price on how much the clutch pedal was from the dealer? did you just order the peice that broke or did you also replace all the other little things around there? i will try to get a pic up soon to show you guys where it broke. it has nothing to do with my clutch which i originally though it did...until the entire clutch pedal came off in my hand while i was trying to pump it.
Old 05-25-05, 03:22 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 5spdSC300
^^ im pretty sure mine snapped where your did. the actual pedal did not snap but the lever that's connected to the pedal. the breaking point is near the top of the clutch pedal lever. i think it might be a design flaw as well making that point weak after prolong usage. i was hoping to just weld it for a quick fix so i can get the car back on the road since its my daily at the moment. do you have a part number and a rough price on how much the clutch pedal was from the dealer? did you just order the peice that broke or did you also replace all the other little things around there? i will try to get a pic up soon to show you guys where it broke. it has nothing to do with my clutch which i originally though it did...until the entire clutch pedal came off in my hand while i was trying to pump it.
honestly, I do not remember. I called the dealers around. They deviated in prices by $5.00 here and there.
Old 05-25-05, 04:20 PM
96sc3
Lead Lap

Default hahahahahhahahah!!!!!!

oh man!!!
i thought i was the only one in the world to ever snap a clutch pedal,
i have a 96 5spd with 120k at the time of breakage,
i was driving normal when all of a sudden my pedal stuck to the floor,
so i figure i should hand pump it to get the fluid running,
then i basically ripped out my pedal assembly with my bare hand,
i was in shock,
my theory is:
i put in this super cheap clutch in the beginning thinking i was not going turbo for a while so i did not want a stiff clutch for an na,
man was it a mistake because the pedal pressure was increased like 350%
so after about 1/2 year of that it broke,
the worse part of this situation is i havent gotten a new one yet and still using the welded pedal, i hope it doesn't snap again any time soon,

bryan

Last edited by 96sc3; 05-25-05 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-26-05, 09:13 AM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

i guess imma just have it welded for now to get my car back on the road. im suprised this has even happened to anyone else cause i was in shock when the pedal came off in my hand. well, heres pics of the damage.

Last edited by 5spdSC300; 05-26-05 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-26-05, 11:05 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 5spdSC300
i guess imma just have it welded for now to get my car back on the road. im suprised this has even happened to anyone else cause i was in shock when the pedal came off in my hand. well, heres pics of the damage.

hmmmm........
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone every heard of this or have this happen to you-misc12.jpeg  
Old 05-26-05, 02:31 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

pics fixed

Quick Reply: Has anyone every heard of this or have this happen to you