Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1500$ and not an idea

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-05, 07:01 PM
SCizzle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1500$ and not an idea

hi im a newb here, i have been following these forums for about 2 months now though but never posted. i have a 93 sc300 and i cant make a decision on what type of performance upgrades i want to put on. I have roughly $1500 to spend. the only reason i did not search for a post is because i want specific suggestions for upgrades within my price range. the best bang for your buck in your own honored opinions is really what im looking for, because i dont have much money to work with, but if you believe the upgrade is TRULY worth it then please mention. thank you very much for your time...im sorry if this has been mentioned before but i just wanted more specific suggestions.
Old 05-20-05, 08:08 PM
Mr. SC300
Pole Position

you can try to get a turbo kit, its $200 more but it would be worth it. its not a complete kit but its better to have something than nothing. it also depends where you get it at. at store.mid-westsupra.com its listed at $1700 and at www.naperformance.com its listed at $2199 but thats because it comes with a midpipe and a k&n filter, the $1700 kit does not come with those.. besides all that, it all depends on what you wanna do. N/A or boost.

-romeo
Old 05-20-05, 08:40 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to ClubLexus bro

For that price I'd be looking at upgrading the suspension first (if all maintenance has been done), I'm not sure of the price of TEIN CS coilovers over there in the US but if they fit in the budget I'd be looking at getting these first over anything.

Jose
Old 05-20-05, 08:42 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Soarer_25GTT
For that price I'd be looking at upgrading the suspension first (if all maintenance has been done), I'm not sure of the price of TEIN CS coilovers over there in the US but if they fit in the budget I'd be looking at getting these first over anything.
I'd recommend the tein flex personally... if i had 1500 i'd be all over those babies.
Old 05-20-05, 09:05 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Here is what I would get if I had $1500:
-auto to 6speed full swap
-Supra short block or complete if you can find it at that price. Some do sell that low.
-Wait a couple weeks longer and get the Turbo kit from NAPERFERMANCE.COM
Old 05-20-05, 09:38 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
Here is what I would get if I had $1500:
-auto to 6speed full swap
-Supra short block or complete if you can find it at that price. Some do sell that low.
-Wait a couple weeks longer and get the Turbo kit from NAPERFERMANCE.COM

there is no way on hell or on earth you are going to get a 6speed full swap for $1500. a pretty beat up getrag 6 costs well over 1500
Old 05-20-05, 09:49 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Full exhaust, build an intake, S-AFC, NOS

Jonny
Old 05-20-05, 10:30 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some people are on drugs in here...

you can't get a turbo kit and you don't do a 6 speed swap. maybe you can start buying part to piece together, but that's about it.

just do small things like exhaust maybe some touching up on paint. whatever fits your taste!
Old 05-20-05, 11:25 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,259 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by blaccSC300
you can try to get a turbo kit, its $200 more but it would be worth it. its not a complete kit but its better to have something than nothing. it also depends where you get it at. at store.mid-westsupra.com its listed at $1700 and at www.naperformance.com its listed at $2199 but thats because it comes with a midpipe and a k&n filter, the $1700 kit does not come with those.. besides all that, it all depends on what you wanna do. N/A or boost.

-romeo
Foget the Teins. Here the best mod right here. The Turbo on the Car would be much more desired that wheels and suspension all day long !
Old 05-20-05, 11:32 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

decent cheap rims.... lowering springs.... BFI....... tint...... and whatever else you can, such as maitinance or repairs. thats my $0.02

you will not be able to get a 6speed for 1500 intalled especially on an auto for that price... i dont care who you know.

you will not be able to turbo the car for that price either.... at least not to the point where you would be able to drive it.

do a lot of small things... dont spend it all on one item. there are plenty of things that can be done that would highly improve the car for $1500. sometimes, its the small stuff that gets noticed the most.
Old 05-21-05, 01:11 AM
RacingLexusBoi
Rookie

I personally believe you should forego performance only after you done maintenance first. Things happen if the car was not properly taken care of by it's previous owner and it doesnt make sense to have a nice looking car if it doesnt work properly. For me I needed a tune up, new radiator, new power steering, and trunk strut within the first 3 months.

As for suggestions, you want performance so most people will go with intake, exhaust system, suspension, or braking system.
Old 05-21-05, 01:35 AM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Soarer_25GTT
Welcome to ClubLexus bro

Jose
i agree , i would get the suspension looked at first, before you spend anything . Tien basics are 800 on Ebay. If youre lucky and you dont need lower control arm bushings , Get some decent used rims. if the bushings are shot , i would get that out of the way though, wich would pretty much eat the rest of the $$$-good luck
Old 05-21-05, 01:45 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed. Get the rest of the car up to spec first, then start with the gofast mods. Timing belt, water pump, control arms, engine and tranny mounts at least. I would do these before thinking about anything else. I have a 93 SC3 and just did all the above. WOW does it make a diference. I'm not going any faster, but it made a world of difference.
Old 05-21-05, 06:07 AM
SCizzle
Driver School Candidate

My car has been excellently maintained and all the proper tune ups have been completed. the turbo idea is interesting although it just seems to good to be true an turbo for $1700.is there anything that im gonna have to buy for it or is it just a bolt on kit? thanks again for your responses
Old 05-21-05, 06:27 AM
SCizzle
Driver School Candidate

i see that it doesn't come with an intercooler...i saw that the same company made a different kit that cost more but it didn't list what was in it...i can't afford that kit but do u know if i can buy an intercooler from this company...it also says that if i want to get 450 Hp i would have to get a head gasket and lower compression...is this as simple as just buying low compression pistons or is there more involved? thanks alot for ur help

Quick Reply: 1500$ and not an idea