Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Custom DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-05, 02:18 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Custom DIY CAI

This is for mr Tommy420 who was looking into getting an intake. I wasnt sure if anyone had done this before so I decided to post it up so I would hold out on anyone. I've seen the BFI intakes but Im more happier with this setup.

Step 1:

Remove the stock intake box.

Step 2:

With the drill, drill a bunch of holes in a circle shape the size of a 3-4" diameter. Drill them close together. After that just punch a hole through and smooth out the edges.

Step 3:

Go out and buy a 3" MAF adapter like this one. Make sure it fits right. Make sure it is for a 93+ Supra or SC300. I got jipped twice from two different shops so I just worked with what I had.

Step 4:

I used an HKS Metal Flow filter but you can use any. The Injen one is pretty good too. I put the heat shield around it so it can scoop up some air but you can leave it off if you want to.

So now it should look like this. I reccomend doing this with the Injen Intake.

Step 5:

Once you have everything out together is should look like this.

Step 6:

I slipped it in through the wheel well. I had to take off the fender lining so I can get it in there. You bolt on the adapter to the MAF sensor and clamp on the cold air extension you just made and everything should look like this.

Take some time to admire your easy work.

..for the top part from the Intake manifold to the MAF sensor I was planning on using Injen's intake system. I think theirs come with a newer MAF sensor, Im not sure. It did for my friends solara. The intake makes your car scream and full throttle. Dont forget to aquire a CARB number from someone. If you purchase the Injen intake you dont have to worry about it. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Last edited by JspecSC3; 05-01-05 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-01-05, 04:42 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice job man. Looks great. My friend and I were actually planning on doing this to my car soon, the exact way you did it. Funny, I thought no one else had done this. So did you notice any gains in acceleration, and what rpm range do you notice it the most? What exactly did you use for the intake, did you buy the actual injen intake and modify it to fit? I still want to do this project but I am still deciding whether I am staying NA or going NA-T. It's hard to pay for a turbo kit and installation when you are 18 and still in high school. As much I want to go turbo, I probably won't.

On another note; my friend who owns a 2001 toyota mr-2, is in the process of installing his turbo kit now. Man that thing is going to be quick.
Old 05-01-05, 05:06 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

nice writeup, whats a CARB number, legality of the intake?
Old 05-01-05, 05:10 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Thanks! My friend who owned an SC300 before me told me about this but never got the chance to do it because he got a MKIV supra. After I had done this to my SC300 I noticed my car get more torquier. Not crazy torque but more than what it had before. I felt it even more when got my HKS Titanium Carbon single exhaust. I beat my friend who would always beat me. You notice it mostly around midrange to top RPM. I understand it is hard to pay to boost your car. I am 19 myself and it was hard enough for me to get the SC3 itself. But I am planning to go NA-T in the future. As for now Im just getting part by part for the turbo setup. Im almost done with gathering all my parts for the 5speed swap. You can do this with the Injen Intake but you might have to cut a few pieces off of the second extension piece to make it fit the way you want it. Remember, if your car is dropped you dont want it low enough to hit the ground like mine did. Good luck on your SC.
Old 05-01-05, 05:12 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by indelible
nice writeup, whats a CARB number, legality of the intake?
A CARB number is a number you get when you purchase a name brand intake. Its like a little sticker with a number on it. The reason Ebay intakes cost so cheap is because they dont come with it. Thats why if you get pulled over by a cop and they pop your hood and notice its not there, they send you to the State Referee for having an illegal smog device. Im speaking from experience. I got my CARB number through injen. SO basicall, no CARB number = Illegal intake..
Old 05-01-05, 09:37 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Where did you buy your exhaust from? Any pics?
Old 05-01-05, 09:52 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that doesnt look like it would do so good in the rain. Unless that heat shield can turn, but that means you would have to get down there and turn it around every time it rains
Old 05-02-05, 05:51 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks great man, but like gottrd said, that thing is gonna get soaked in the rain!
Old 05-02-05, 07:20 AM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Are u sure about the water problem? Because I was talking with my friend and the cone filters have oil on them and oil and water don't mix so you wouldn't have to worry about water getting in there. Is this correct?
Old 05-02-05, 07:29 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by laxdude362
Are u sure about the water problem? Because I was talking with my friend and the cone filters have oil on them and oil and water don't mix so you wouldn't have to worry about water getting in there. Is this correct?
I think with a small amount of water that may be the case - but with a large puddle I don't think the oil could stop it coming through - hydrolocking time

Be careful with that - but it does look great.

Jonny
Old 05-02-05, 07:52 AM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Hey JspecSC3 where exactly did you get the intake pipe from that you used?
Old 05-02-05, 04:22 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Ok Ok about the water problem..just DO NOT remove the fender lining and everything should be ok. I drove with out it one time and all of a sudden a storm came in and my car wanted to stall so i kept the revs up high till i got home.
Old 05-02-05, 04:24 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by laxdude362
Hey JspecSC3 where exactly did you get the intake pipe from that you used?
You can pick one up at your local race shop or even ebay. The one I used was for an EG Civic. Doesnt really matter what car it comes off of as long as you have that bend. Cutting is required to make it fit the way you want it.
Old 05-09-05, 12:07 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

did this mod last night, pics tomorrow, I feel a little more pull now after 3k
Old 05-09-05, 12:34 PM
Tryk
Pole Position

for the possible few horsepower this mod might gain you, it really isn't worth it. I have replaced engines in cars with cold air intakes because of hydrolocking. All it takes is one big puddle to suck enough water into the engine, and as you know water doesn't compress....so bend go the connecting rods, or if you are lucky SNAP and then BAM through the block. haha.

Quick Reply: Custom DIY