Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Seafoam experts, check in here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-08, 12:28 PM
SMP142
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might try this stuff out when i get the engine back together...
Old 03-16-08, 10:39 PM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

my mpg went up to 17.5-18mpg avg
Old 03-21-08, 05:18 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

ok so when i did the seafoam, i got 160 miles on it at about half tank. after i added a can of seafoam to the gas tank...it dropped. now i get like 140 at about half. wth? how does that happen? maybe my oil go fouled up again because of the seafoam treatment? or what?

Peace out
Old 03-21-08, 05:54 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by unreal-
Before i seafoam, should i do my new plugs wires etc. or seafoam after? Cause if its a possiblity that i may foul plugs, i might as well do it while the engine/ignition parts are "dirty" then put new new parts, and dirty them up with the carbon deposits.

For clarification i have the following parts ready to be installed:
- Plugs (NGK VPOWER)
- Wires (OEM)
- Distrib Rotor + Cap
- Fuel Filter
- Front (Exhaust Manifold) O2 Sensors
I'd hold onto those parts, and change everything after the seafoam process.
Old 03-22-08, 01:52 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

does that mean since i added seafoam to just my gas tank it fouled up my plugs? i thought it just fouled it up after i seafoam the engine...

Peace out
Old 03-22-08, 11:51 PM
unreal-
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanV
I'd hold onto those parts, and change everything after the seafoam process.
Gotcha. It makes sense; If the seafoam process is going to break up all the carbon and gunk, no use dirtying new parts.
Old 03-23-08, 01:01 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

i can understand if it's going through the engine, but through the gas tank? it should be just like any fuel additive thing, like the chevron one, right?

Peace out
Old 04-03-08, 03:31 AM
breakb
Lead Lap

if i seafoamed my car last time i changed oil. should i do it again to make sure i got all the gunk out? or would it be bad running a cleaning thing through my engine two times in a row...

peace out
Old 04-03-08, 01:33 PM
Nova Natty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seafoamed mine through the PCV valve, and my car started to smoke immediately(before I restarted and hit the gas). It helped my throttle response alot, but I still have some ways to go make her feel new.

I want to do the crankcase, but I'm not really all that interested in removing my whole throttle body to change my plugs.
Old 04-04-08, 02:18 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I did this for an SC300 owner on this forum and after the engine sucked in all the seafoam, I told him to turn off the engine. I kept on yelling at him because the engine was still turning. Then I looked up and he was holding the key up in the air. The engine was running off of seafoam Plugged the PCV back in and the engine died out

PS: Anyone notice that seafoam is now yellow/clear in color? It use to be green. I wonder if the effectiveness changed at all.
Old 04-04-08, 08:15 AM
96B18B
Driver School Candidate

Um……I Sea foamed my 2000 GS400 with 140k yesterday and barely any smoke came out? I used about 1/3 of the can into my PCV. What’s this mean?
Old 04-04-08, 04:51 PM
Stupidnewb
Rookie

...where did you put the Seafoam? Was the motor all the way warmed up?
Old 04-04-08, 05:11 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cmiller80
When I change my oil, I Seafoam. What I have done is run 1/4 can through my oil filler hole on top, 1/2 through the throttle body vacuum line, and then the rest through the gas tank. Let set in engine while off for 15 minutes, and then run for ten.

IMMEDIATELY after that I run a full bottle of Gunk engine flush through and let that run for 15 minutes. When I drain, I let it drain extensively and then fill with 10W30 FULL synthetic Castrol Syntec. Engine oil gets cleaner and cleaner with every Seafoam treatment and runs so smoothly.

I highly recommend my method as I have never had a problem with oil consumption or leaks after using Seafoam with this method.
I was just thinking of using this method today since i always used the engine flush before i do a oil change and never tried seafaom before... thanks for confirming its safe.
Old 04-04-08, 05:20 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
I did this for an SC300 owner on this forum and after the engine sucked in all the seafoam, I told him to turn off the engine. I kept on yelling at him because the engine was still turning. Then I looked up and he was holding the key up in the air. The engine was running off of seafoam Plugged the PCV back in and the engine died out

PS: Anyone notice that seafoam is now yellow/clear in color? It use to be green. I wonder if the effectiveness changed at all.

yup noticed it was yellow. might try this with my next oil change just to make sure i got EVERYTHING out. but i'm not going to change my plugs, lol. didn't last time so i figure should be ok...right?

peace out
Old 04-16-08, 12:36 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

ok, if we just put the seafoam through the PCV valve, should we still change the plugs? or change plugs only if we throw it in the oil?

Peace out

Quick Reply: Seafoam experts, check in here.