Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Dave H Kit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-05, 09:11 AM
rhubarb999
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dave H Kit Questions

So ... I have a 93 SC300 5 speed with 125K miles. I want to add a turbo kit to it.

http://store.mid-westsupra.com/ntpetukitfor.html

Looks like the standard Dave H kit (and adding the oil lines) for $2000.

I am not looking for extreme power or any kind of crazy tuning. Smooth, reliable, daily driver .. with a nice power boost to make the drive to work more fun.

Does this kit give me EVERYTHING that I need? The big thing that I notice missing is the intercooler .. but for 6-7psi, is this required?

I understand that some exhaust work will need to be done .. and a boost gauge is a must have .. But what else would be needed?

I have done an extensive amount of searching .. but there does not seem to be much info on using this kit just as it comes .. will it work just as it is?

Does anybody have the install manual with this kit that I could take a look at?

Thanks in advance !

Rhubarb
(soon to be turbo'd)
Old 03-08-05, 10:03 AM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rhubarb999
So ... I have a 93 SC300 5 speed with 125K miles. I want to add a turbo kit to it.

http://store.mid-westsupra.com/ntpetukitfor.html

Looks like the standard Dave H kit (and adding the oil lines) for $2000.

I am not looking for extreme power or any kind of crazy tuning. Smooth, reliable, daily driver .. with a nice power boost to make the drive to work more fun.

Does this kit give me EVERYTHING that I need? The big thing that I notice missing is the intercooler .. but for 6-7psi, is this required?

I understand that some exhaust work will need to be done .. and a boost gauge is a must have .. But what else would be needed?

I have done an extensive amount of searching .. but there does not seem to be much info on using this kit just as it comes .. will it work just as it is?

Does anybody have the install manual with this kit that I could take a look at?

Thanks in advance !

Rhubarb
(soon to be turbo'd)

NO NO NO NO NO NO AND NO! do not go though mid west supra unless you want to wait 2 months + for your parts. it does not come with everything ( you would of found that out if you did a SIMPLE SEARCH!!!!!!!) this kit may give you quick cheap power, but no reliability be ready to replace parts within a short period of time. THIS IS COMING FROM A GUY WITH THIS KIT.

you didn't do enough search. for more info go to supraforums
Old 03-08-05, 11:00 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

but no reliability be ready to replace parts within a short period of time.

can you explain?

I had the kit also, I never had a reliability issue.
Old 03-08-05, 11:11 AM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aliga
can you explain?

I had the kit also, I never had a reliability issue.
you can IM me for all the details, but as you know it's all home made crap with quick bad welds as it is a "budget kit" the log type manifold's bound to crack like any manifold under a lot of boost, but this worse than others. my kit came with many missing bolt and gaskets it was ridicuous. just give it some time and you will know what i mean. especially if you used copper gasket maker

this kit was not designed for the best performance or reliability. it was built for people with not much money for their cars to go turbo.

i'm sure you're a hardcore daveH fan because you have the kit and because of what he's done for the na community. don't get me wrong the kit is a great budget kit, but anyone can piece this kit for a little more and make a better kit with more reliability for almost the same price.
Old 03-08-05, 11:24 AM
rhubarb999
Rookie

Gazi,

What did you add to your kit to make it complete?

And yes, there is a LOT more info at Supraforums .. reading now.
Old 03-08-05, 11:26 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i am a daveh fan, but I would still be a fan of daveh even if I did not purchase the kit. He is a pioneer. Awesome guy.

As for the manifold, if the welds break, there is a warranty of the manifold. Guys have been running the kit for two years already. I never heard one manifold break. People always talk about the fmax manifold cracking.

He made it affordable to go turbo. Big props for that.
Old 03-18-05, 08:09 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Red face

I've heard several persons report STEEL turbo manifolds cracking and I'd like to know what kind of warranty is on the DaveH kit?
Old 03-19-05, 12:13 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

depending on the quality of welds/manifold material and countless other factors in design of the whole exhaust system and not to mention the quality of the tuning, any manifold will crack. Just remember there have been many many many people who have used the daveh manifold without any complaints. If youre going to go with high boost and dont want to run any risk factors at all, id recommend the boost logic kit. It is almost complete with just the addition of a few parts that you should be buying for a turbo installation anyway and you can be boosting to the limits of only your wallet and your hearts desire. Otherwise, for those just looking for something to play around with for not too much and without the hassle of a complete fuel system or headgasket, the daveh kit is great.
Old 03-19-05, 07:19 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

I guess my big question is will the DaveH manifold hold up to 500rwhp reliably?.. I plan to first start with the base kit and max out at ~330rwhp (manual transmisson of sc300) for a long time.
Old 03-19-05, 11:05 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

it should. there have been a few that have gone beyond that and i believe dave himself used this manifold for quite some time on his trip into the 9s.
Old 03-19-05, 06:44 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wish i had the dave h manifold but i cudnt refuse on such a good deal of what i have....
Old 03-29-05, 02:13 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs down

so what do you have?