Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Where is the coolant going?? Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-05, 07:21 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the coolant going?? Any ideas?

Ok saga continues!!! I got my car back from getting the starter replaced about 5-6 days ago. When driving around I would periodically smell antifreeze and was like WTF..However, the temp gauged stated in the middle where it should be but it was ever so slightly raised a little than normal. Yesterday I checked the under the bay for a leak and couldn't spot one. There was also nothing on the ground. I looked at the resevior and its empty so I filled it up today at noon. I checked the resevior again at 3 and the level had dropped half. I just went back out to check again and the level was EMPTY and the coolant appeared to be all on the plastic gaurd under the engine. I only drove the car today to school which is like 1 mile away. The oil is fine...no choclate milk, no smoke. I just filled the resevior up with water and started the car to see if I could locate the hose or something that was leaking and I could not spot any obvious leak at all. Any Ideas where th fluid is leaking from. BTW I am taking the car back to get it checked out tomorrow or saturday morning.

Nathan
Old 02-24-05, 07:40 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

it also seems as though the leak is only going when the car is running. I just checked to see if any water had leaked and NOPE. So car going down road=leak
Old 02-24-05, 08:06 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

Have the car running and have another person rev the car. See if there are some leaky hoses or where it's coming from while its running and getting revved.
Old 02-24-05, 08:47 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

will try it out! ok revved and held to 3k and didn't see any spurtin or drippin. The hose that led from the power steering resevior to the PS pump did look like it might need replacing though. When the car was revved the hose expanded and you could see stress cracks so I will get that hose replaced.

Last edited by FireCode; 02-24-05 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-25-05, 05:51 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Has the motor ever been overheated? Any chance it's coming out the tailpipes? Sniff at the exhaust and see if it's sweet-smelling.

Pray you don't smell anything.
Old 02-25-05, 10:05 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

No the motor has never been overheated in the 2 years that I have had the car. I'll check the tail pipes again but I dont remember smelling anything around back when I was trying to firgure out the smell a couple of days ago.
Old 02-25-05, 05:13 PM
RTLEXSC
Rookie

Make sure the radiator cap is holding pressure like it should.Could be bad and letting the fluid come out of the little overflow hose while under pressure.
Old 02-25-05, 07:04 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Make sure the radiator cap is holding pressure like it should.Could be bad and letting the fluid come out of the little overflow hose while under pressure.
This is what I think is happening but I don't know how to check and make sure.
BTW it leaked some more today. The level in the resevior went way down and the coolant is on the plastic gaurs underneath. BUT the car runs pefect so I am pretty sure the headgasket etc is fine.
Old 02-26-05, 08:05 AM
RTLEXSC
Rookie

I would just replace the cap since it's cheap.In fact,I am gonna replace mine soon too.
Old 02-26-05, 08:45 AM
djl
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Water pump.

It is very hard to detect since it is complets hidden from view, I had a similar leak, new water pump took care of it.
Old 02-26-05, 09:38 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

I thought it would be the water pump but isnt that in where the timing belt is? if the watre pump was going out wouldnt the car run bad? Anyways, Last night when I checked the resevior it was almost empty. I went out this morning and it was more than half full I really don't get this problem. Weird.
Old 02-26-05, 10:09 AM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it's the water pump. On the SC400 it's behind the timing belt cover so it's difficult to see it leaking. Get under the car while it's on jackstands or on a lift and have a friend start the engine and reve it a bit. See if you can see coolant leaking from the bottom of the engine. If it's really dirty then clean it with non-chlorinated brake cleaner first and then run it and rev it. BTW, don't get directly under it as you don't want to get splashed with coolant. And wear safety glasses too. Let us know what you find.
Old 02-26-05, 12:16 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

if it is the water pump I think Im going to run this car off a cliff! I have been very nice to this car and the past 3 months it has treated me like dog poo! It should get checked out by a mechanic tomorrow or monday. One main thing that makes me think it isnt the water pump is that if the pump is located in the middle front of the engine, my leak stains and such would be on the ground and more in the middle of the plastic gaurd underneath. THe leak is showing up more underneath where like the power steering pump is...in that area.
Old 02-26-05, 01:27 PM
RTLEXSC
Rookie

IMO it's either the cap or a hose leaking,maybe the heater hose. The only reason I say it might be the cap is because I have had that problem before.It didn't leak all the time and I think it only did it while driving and under pressure.It was hard to find but I checked the bottom of that little overflow hose and it was a little wet.I replaced the cap and it hasn't leaked anymore.
Old 02-26-05, 01:47 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the replies guys! I will see about getting a new cap! BTW. you could tell the underneath the overflow hose is where some or all of the leaking was coming from. Just went out for a drive and the resevoir level is still about half.

Quick Reply: Where is the coolant going?? Any ideas?