Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

rear mount turbo idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-05, 01:51 PM
JTJerryls400
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb rear mount turbo idea

it is not new idea, looks it work and there even are companies that making kits like that:

http://ststurbo.com/home

looks work fine for v8 so perhaps it is good for UZ engine and can cure ultra tight engine compartment SC/LS400.
Basically need only turbo, pump for return oil from turbo and wastegate.
it even drain back via oil cap.
Long but thin air pipe that go under car is long enough that IC is not nessesary for say 5-8 psi.
Still using stock exhaust pipes till turbo.

What do you thinking about that?
Jerry
Old 01-08-05, 02:13 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not a fan of these rear mounted turbos, with all the piping it seems like lag would bad. It also seems like it would also be easy for them to be damaged, if you hit water or any hard objects.
Old 01-09-05, 07:33 AM
JTJerryls400
Pole Position

hi
there is a lot of answers about your questions:

http://ststurbo.com/f_a_q

for me it still looks interesting. And should be ease and cheap to build.
Thinking 2-3K$ should be enough for additional 100-150 hp from UZ1. For me that 100-150 HP more than stock is enough power.

Must honesty say that oil pump is most difficult cause do not have idea what pump use... It looks not like fuel pump for me...

Jerry
Old 01-09-05, 10:31 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be the issue I'd have. How to get the oil return to sump? So they use an additional oil pump? Dangerous for the turbo.
Old 01-09-05, 12:33 PM
JTJerryls400
Pole Position

as I saw at their page they use some kind of electrtic pump for feeding oil from turbo to engine back.
To turbo oil is pumping normal way as all turbo systems.
they have two safety devices: one is warning when pump do not work and second is pressure sender (if oil line is broken)
Old 01-10-05, 11:42 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

I like the idea.
As for oil return, my idea would be something like a catch can right next to (a bit below) the turbo and the pump sucking oil out of the catch-can back into the engine.
This way oil is not being sucked out of the turbo but allowed to drop freely.

Definitely something I'll look into trying on my next turbo project.

As for the piping, it wouldn't be any longer (if not shorter) than with a conventional FMIC because it goes directly from the turbo to the intake.
For extra cooling you can put one of those flat intercoolers (like from a WRX) underneath the car.

Biggest benefit: Catalytic converters are not touched so this could possibly be SMOG legal.
Imagine your exhaust tip actually being the end of your downpipe.
Old 01-10-05, 12:24 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

As for the piping, it wouldn't be any longer (if not shorter) than with a conventional FMIC because it goes directly from the turbo to the intake.
If your running a turbo you want to run a intercooler. Where would you run an intercooler under the car? I still like the idea of front or side mounted turbos, and if you can mount it above the oil pan you dont have to worry about sump oiling system.
Biggest benefit: Catalytic converters are not touched so this could possibly be SMOG legal.
Most turbo kits dont require you to remove the cats, people do it cause the power benefits.
Old 01-10-05, 03:33 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 90redsupra
If your running a turbo you want to run a intercooler.
Not necessarily. You can ask Bruce Nomura, and he'll tell you that running water or methanol injection instead of an intercooler can be very beneficial in some set-ups.

Where would you run an intercooler under the car?
If you've ever seen the intercooler I'm talking about (WRX STi), it's completely flat, and can be mounted anywhere. It won't dissipate heat as well as a FMIC, but only marginally so.

Most turbo kits dont require you to remove the cats, people do it cause the power benefits.
I should be more specific: I live in California, home of the SMOG *****. Any modification to the exhaust is illegal. The California model cars have 2 cats ON the exhaust manifold.
When replaced with a turbo manifold, the 2 CATS go away.
Big No-No!

Just like you I have nothing against the conventional turbo placement (Except for the fact that it crowds the engine bay) but here in California, our SMOG test includes a scrutinizing visual inspection which you must pass in order for them to even start the sniff test.
A Cold Air Intake (Unless marked C.A.R.B. legal) will qualify as a modified intake and fail your SMOG test. Need I say more?

~Alan
Old 01-10-05, 04:55 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Not necessarily. You can ask Bruce Nomura, and he'll tell you that running water or methanol injection instead of an intercooler can be very beneficial in some set-ups.
Constantly running any of these setups would be a huge pain in the ***, most people run these so they can run lower octane gas with less risk of detonation.
If you've ever seen the intercooler I'm talking about (WRX STi), it's completely flat, and can be mounted anywhere. It won't dissipate heat as well as a FMIC, but only marginally so.
The also have a hood scoop so that air can pass through them, if air doesnt pass through it kinda defets the purpose.
Old 04-25-05, 07:09 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

maybe they can come up with a <$4000 setup that includes their methanol system for our cars....Imagine installing this on your car AND having it fully tuned within a day...
Old 04-25-05, 09:19 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JTJerryls400
it is not new idea, looks it work and there even are companies that making kits like that:

http://ststurbo.com/home

looks work fine for v8 so perhaps it is good for UZ engine and can cure ultra tight engine compartment SC/LS400.
Basically need only turbo, pump for return oil from turbo and wastegate.
it even drain back via oil cap.
Long but thin air pipe that go under car is long enough that IC is not nessesary for say 5-8 psi.
Still using stock exhaust pipes till turbo.

What do you thinking about that?
Jerry
Can you say turbo lag !!
Old 04-25-05, 10:22 AM
PHLSingle
Pole Position

I'm assuming everyone who is posting "turbo lag", "will have tons of lag" - has either driven a V8 car with this or actually tried one themselves?? Or are you all just guessing?

You think an extra 2 feet of IC piping is gonna destroy the spool up on a 4L motor? More so, than say pushing air thru a 4-row IC?

Run it straight to the TB and spray 2 M15 methanol nozzles along the way - done.
Old 04-25-05, 10:55 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't really like the idea.. since boost is decided off exhaust gas temperature at the manifold, not under the car new the end of the exhaust. Just a thought..
Old 04-25-05, 02:10 PM
JTJerryls400
Pole Position

you can wrap exhaust pipe and keep more hot to turbo. Sure there gases will be not so hot as at exhaust manifolds but they still be able make some power. At manifolds or at tail pipes all that gases must pass through either way.
biggest question for me is that oil return pump. Not sure what type pump they use. If I can whenever buy it all another things should be easy to make.
150 hp increase will be enough for me. If that car will have not 250 but 400 hp it should be fast
Old 04-26-05, 08:15 AM
SC4Million
Driver

Originally Posted by BrownDuckz
I don't really like the idea.. since boost is decided off exhaust gas temperature at the manifold, not under the car new the end of the exhaust. Just a thought..
Acctually boost is brought on by exhaust gas velocity , the faster the exhaust blows the faster the turbo impeller spins....eg. more boost.

These rear mount turbo systems do not have the exhast speeds of a turbo mounted on the manifold....HOWEVER....since the gas at the end of the tail pipe is much cooler the gasses turning the turbo are much denser. More air/ gas molecules to spin the turbo = a good thing.

The rear turbo doesnt have the gas velocity of the front mounts to spool up, but the rear mounts have a denser charge of air pushing harder.

Quick Reply: rear mount turbo idea