Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ swap (general questions)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-05, 03:14 PM
MadMaxxNA
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1JZ swap (general questions)

For those who have put 1JZ motors into their SC3's (or those aussies here with them from factory), are you happy with the results? I am considering doing this swap int a MKIV (NA) vs. going the NA-T route. Mainly because I've lowered my power goals quite a bit, and the price is MUCH lower than the cost of going NA-T. Also, several 1JZ engines are available locally. I figured I would ask you SC guys since it's pretty rare to find a MKIV w/ a 1JZ swap on the SF

Also, anyone running one of the "1.5JZ" hybrids? I've been reading about this as well, nice flowing head on larger displacement sounds like a plan, even if the turbo side has it's drawbacks. Speaking of which, is the hp limit of the 1JZ stockers ~330RWHP due to the ceramic blades?

Thanks
James
Old 01-05-05, 06:04 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My SC300 kept up w/ a bpu 6 speed tt supra.. I ran him 3 times and pulled on it every time and he caught up on top end but never past my door. Im mostly stock except for the extra boost . Im automatic also so that sucks. I plan on doing the 1.5jz thing once I move back to fl though. With the 6 speed of course..
Old 01-05-05, 09:13 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MadMaxxNA
Also, anyone running one of the "1.5JZ" hybrids? I've been reading about this as well, nice flowing head on larger displacement sounds like a plan, even if the turbo side has it's drawbacks. Speaking of which, is the hp limit of the 1JZ stockers ~330RWHP due to the ceramic blades?
1J is a nice flowing head? since when? Anyways, yea stock turbos suck... mine are pretty much blown running 14psi, fmic, and turbo back exhaust.
Old 01-06-05, 04:22 AM
bean_8044
Rookie

Ive ran at almost a full bar on my turbos for over a year with NO problems what-so-ever. As long as you free up the exhaust then you cant keep the boost down below 1bar though. Stockers should be good up to 400, but at that point they will be the bottleneck in the system when you get that high. As far as power, the 1J has great torque and almost everything made for the 2j will fit on the 1J.
Old 01-06-05, 04:36 AM
aasc300
Advanced

How difficult is the swap into an SC?
Old 01-06-05, 04:39 AM
aasc300
Advanced

Where would be the best place to find swap info and talk to more people that have had this particular swap done? I am seriously considering this when taxes come in...
Old 01-06-05, 06:17 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those who have put 1JZ motors into their SC3's (or those aussies here with them from factory), are you happy with the results? I am considering doing this swap int a MKIV (NA) vs. going the NA-T route. Mainly because I've lowered my power goals quite a bit, and the price is MUCH lower than the cost of going NA-T. Also, several 1JZ engines are available locally. I figured I would ask you SC guys since it's pretty rare to find a MKIV w/ a 1JZ swap on the SF

Thanks
James

Love my swap. Can't go wrong.... although trying to find a fuel system for my turbo upgrade is kind of a pain right now. The only thing I did not like was the down time that it took to swap the motor.... ran into some problems here and there. Other than that, you should be really happy.
Old 01-08-05, 01:42 PM
philauldridge
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1jz/2jz swap

I've done both swaps, and documented the process. On the downside, the 1jz does develop a bit less power, with smaller turbos, than the 2jz, and, being a non-US engine, finding some parts may be more difficult. Also, you will STILL need to get a US harness and ECU for the 1JZ unless you want to try and decifer a Japanese manual.

On the other hand, lots of 1jz's around, and the price is right! Be sure and try to get the original 1jz harness w/ the engine, at least the part with all the engine-side connectors... you'll need it, because the engine connectors for the US harness are different, and you'll need to splice them on.

Full details in my manual!
Old 01-11-05, 06:11 PM
Arizona
Lead Lap

What mounts do you use for the 1jz. Say if your motor came mounts that are shot. Can use 2jzGE, 2jzGTE, or 89+7m mounts for it?
Old 01-11-05, 06:50 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JustinDD91
What mounts do you use for the 1jz. Say if your motor came mounts that are shot. Can use 2jzGE, 2jzGTE, or 89+7m mounts for it?
Use 2jz from mk4 supra or from sc300. mk3 supra mounts won't work.
Old 01-11-05, 07:28 PM
Arizona
Lead Lap

what clutch set up do use for the 1jz paired with a w58 trans
Old 01-11-05, 07:52 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, its questions like this that I just want to find a write up somewhere. I'm still waititng to hear back from Phil.
Old 01-11-05, 09:13 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JustinDD91
what clutch set up do use for the 1jz paired with a w58 trans
You use the clutch/flywheel from whatever trans you are using. If you use soarer trans use that clutch. If you use w58 use that clutch/flywheel.
Old 01-11-05, 09:15 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mteele
Yeah, its questions like this that I just want to find a write up somewhere. I'm still waititng to hear back from Phil.
These questions arn' tthat hard. Im sure they have been answered before (maybe not here) but do so research (ie search various forums) and you'll find most of the basic answers. The wiring is another story. I haven't seen anyone post that info yet.
Old 01-11-05, 09:31 PM
obscurusc
Driver School Candidate

US guys get the 2JZGTE with the steel wheel turbos which can boost into the 20psi region daily no dramas I believe. The 1JZGTE with its ceramic turbos can't go over 15psi daily, or the bonding between the ceramic wheels and steel shaft fails. Thus a stage 1 1JZGTE is limited to about 230rwkw, whereas a stage 1 2JZGTE will put out maybe 280rwkw. 1JZGTE turbos work in parallel and mine come onto boost at 3K. The 2JZ supra I've driven in sequential mode pushes from 1500rpm with a slight lag before 4000rpm. In parallel mode, apparently they come on strong at 4000rpm. There are some guys here with high flowed steel wheel 1JZ turbos putting out 300rwkw (with 2JZ injectors and fuel pump) which shows you the limitation is really the ceramic turbos, not the engine.

The 1JZ has 370cc injectors, which approach 100% duty at around 230 - 250rwkw. 2JZ comes with bigger injectors, jap spec 2JZ are 440cc, US spec are 550cc I think?
The 1JZ has a smaller flowing fuel pump than the 2JZ. But all these parts are interchangeable.

Many parts are interchangeable between the 1JZ and 2JZ so I wouldn't be worried about sourcing parts. Plus the yahoo auctions in Japan are so cheap and popular these days, it's become quite easy to source parts.

Not familar with ECUs so no comment there. You might want to look up how easy or hard it is to transplant a 1JZ ecu or 2JZ ecu. I'm thinking it might be easier for an MKIV to do a 2JZ ecu than a 1JZ... but not sure

Thanks
James

Quick Reply: 1JZ swap (general questions)