Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

TT SC400 race results..

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-05, 02:17 PM
chrisman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking TT SC400 race results..

hello clublesxus.. today we were able to get to the race track-1/4 mile.. its in byron il. and its open 1 day in the winter--today..
im glad it was open, cause i wanted to get some real numbers on how the TT sc400 was running..
we were able to make about 5 runs before we decided to split-- it was kinda cold..
BEFORE turbos it had run a best of 15.79 at 89 mph..
AFTER turbos , running 7-8 psi, it ran a best of 13.71 and a best mph of 109.4..
thats a 2 second improvement--not bad.. the mph is where you see a big improvement..20 mph..
i was not happy with the 60 foot times.. the best was a 2.39-- that could use alot of improvement..
one thing the car does seem like it needs is a transmision-shift kit, and a stall speed..i will work on that, in the mean time -- it goes back to use as bobs daily transportation..
overall i was happy with the results-although i wish the 60 ft and et were better.. but considering nothing was done to the car--except fot the fuel pressure regulator-- descent results were achieved..
so much for STAGE 1.. what happens next? im not sure..id like to add more boost--but in order to do that, id need to add fuel and pull timing.. i wanted to add fuel with the cold start injector, but havnt gotton around to it.. as for the timing, i have a friend working on an adjustable box to pull timing when boost comes on..
future mods? eventually forged pistons, 20+ psi of boost, 8 aux fuel injectors, and a trans kit and stall speed..still, the car will probably be driven daily, so that has to be kept in mind..
bob does have the slips and a friend did have a digi vid cam there..so as soon as he is able im pretty sure he will post.. anyway talk to you guys later..
Old 01-01-05, 05:39 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

excellent work so far!!
how much horsepower/torque do you think your getting?
Old 01-01-05, 10:11 PM
chrisman
Driver

considering the mph was at close to 110, thats 20 mph over its previous best---id say its about 200 HP over the original HP levels.. somewhere between 350-370 at the wheels.. again--this is at 7-8 psi.. i would like to see this car with over 20 psi!--but i can wait..
Old 01-01-05, 10:20 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Chrisman, great work! I can't wait to see this video as well as stages II and up! If somehow I have extra cash laying around I'll have to take the SC out to the midwest for some work, I love what you've done so far.

James
Old 01-01-05, 10:42 PM
japSW20
Driver School Candidate

awesome,That thing is beast.I guess this shows the sc300 guys that theres no replacement for displacment,ok maybe there is (forced inductioon).As for timing you dont need to make a timing retarded,MSD BTM takes care of that,it retards timing by pound of boost.I wonder how much the stock bottom end could take on our 1uz's
Old 01-02-05, 04:10 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good result man, congrats!!!
Old 01-02-05, 04:19 AM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Congrats on the times. Knock down those 60' times and you'll be in the mid 13's. Raising the stall to 2800rpm has knocked off 1/2 a sec on stock 400 times. Maybe you'll get the same results. Does this SC have an LSD?

If you had done this 2 years ago Chrisman, I'd have been all over it. My days of modding are behind me now.
Old 01-02-05, 09:34 AM
chrisman
Driver

"my modding days are over"..--ive probably said that a thousand times..
a stall speed / converter would help greatly.. there is a local company ive been dealing with for over 15 years.. they make oem converters.. i will give them a call on monday and see what kinda deal ican get on a new converter.. i am prety sure the car would have a much better et if the 60 ft were better.. it should be around a 2.0 .. not the 2.39 it did..
and as i had mentioned, the trans shifting is kinda lazy- but i guess this is a common dilema with the automatic..the shift kit and rebuild seem simple enough, but the trans it has is fine for now..
ive had msd ign products before, and would recomend them to anyone, but developing my own in house electronics is something ive been attempting.. i have a friend that can do anything concerning electrics , but getting him to spend the time for development is difficult--but im trying..
vegas also asked about an lsd..this car does not have one, but bob had previously bought one and its sitting in a box at the shop--i gotta feeling im gonna be doing an install soon..
as for "how much power the stock bottom ends can handle" i dont know yet.. but considering this car has over 150,000 miles--i can vouch for there longevity/durability..

Last edited by chrisman; 01-02-05 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-02-05, 01:28 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Here are a couple of the slips from the runs on Saturday.
I'm Car #17 on the slips
Attached Thumbnails TT SC400 race results..-time-slips-1-1-04.jpg  
Old 01-02-05, 06:21 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

one word.... DOPE!!!!

my boy with the supra, that formally had a T88 came in town this weekend for the new year, and he has swapped that out for a T76... that thing is scary fast now, as it spools much faster and gets up and goes at lower speeds/rpms much quicker now.... I told him about this project, and his eyebrow arched... like... V8?? turbo'ed.... sounds like trouble.....

I can't wait till my day comes.... I'm gonna say that I'm gonna have to try him...
Old 01-04-05, 08:10 AM
chrisman
Driver

turboing the v8 should be as common as the inline 6--but i guess people are afraid ofthe unknown--i think it was more likely the unknown cost of how much it would be..
if you ask me there are many reasons why the 8 is just as good to turbo as the 6.. the first being the extra displacement.. but i guess that would be a good subject for another thread.. im gonna try a search and see if, or how many times it was debated..
back to the TT SC400-- i was able to get a great deal on a rebuild/modified torque converter.. they could only guarantee an extra 400 rpm in the stall speed..they said any higher stall would require new-purpose built parts..-- that sounds expensive.. but the extra 400 rpm should help off the line starts-- and they gave me a very reasonable deal..
now i need to get a trans rebuild kit and more info on this trans..i will say im kinda lucky being in the chicago area-- there are a lot of industries-auto related.. i know tracking down parts, or people who make stuff can be a real pain for some guys that live in rural areas..
Old 01-04-05, 08:15 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AWSOME RESULTS!
Old 01-04-05, 09:09 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude,
Your work on the 400 has been proven.....I'll settle for 13's anyday....this would settle a lot of street confrontations....let us know if plan to market a kit for our 400's.....
Old 01-04-05, 09:57 PM
chrisman
Driver

thanks guys.. yea, 13s are good for a street car-- and the 110 mph trap speed gives you an idea on how its moving.. almost all of the quick accelleration is after about the first 200 ft or so..mostly because of the auto trans..i am glad we were able to get to the track..
on the way home from the track, we caught up to a friend who was running low 13s on a pontiac supercharged grand prix.. on a roll, with him getting on it first, we were able to pull away at a steady pace.. he had run 13.4 at 104 mph at the track. .
it goes to show that the sc400 is a luxury coupe that can accelerate faster than most serious sport coupes..all at only 7-8 psi.. all with no modifications to the engine.. and still having the daily reliability/dependability it had before..
"market a kit for the sc400" ive been so satisfied with the results so far, i may make kits available.. although i would much rather make the parts for the car thats getting them--right there..i may end up buying an sc and using the car for making the kits available..
i think it may be against forum rules to talk prices, but im prety sure i can do for less than most shops--
this is starting to sound like a commercial- i m just gonna shut up for now..
wait, one more thought or question.. has there ever been a competetion between the sc 300 vs sc400? and the sc 300 tt vs the sc400 tt? maybe there outa be a yearly event..
Old 01-04-05, 11:59 PM
Hollywood
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chrisman
hello clublesxus.. today we were able to get to the race track-1/4 mile.. its in byron il. and its open 1 day in the winter--today..
im glad it was open, cause i wanted to get some real numbers on how the TT sc400 was running..
we were able to make about 5 runs before we decided to split-- it was kinda cold..
BEFORE turbos it had run a best of 15.79 at 89 mph..
AFTER turbos , running 7-8 psi, it ran a best of 13.71 and a best mph of 109.4..
Can u post your mod list?

Quick Reply: TT SC400 race results..