Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Stalling on hot starts - easy troubleshooting (Searched)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-04, 07:14 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling on hot starts - easy troubleshooting (Searched)

Hello!

As of the 24th I'm recently the new owner of a very clean 92 SC300 5sp with 113k on the odo.

The car was purchased knowingly with an occasional startup problem.

Being an owner of several rotary powered vehicles, im no stranger to car problems, no biggie right?

Anyhow, from searching the forum it looks like it may be a faulty Fuel Pump ECU.

After longer drives, the car will have a hard time starting and stall out. Stepping on the gas will not keep it running, which tells me that it is an ignition or fuel delivery issue.

When the car is running, the car runs beautifully with a steady idle. The trouble with starting the car seems to only be after the car is warmed up and has been driving for over 30 mins. This leads me to believe that theres a chance the issue may be on the intake side, with a possible faulty sensor.

can someone please give me a list of first things to check on the car to make the troubleshooting process quicker?

I dont have much time to wrench these days, so a little guidance will go a long way
Old 12-30-04, 05:29 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

greaaat......
Old 12-30-04, 07:34 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

well first off i would suggest going through with a multi meter and making sure all your sensors are in proper working order. next its always good to go ahead and start doing the usual tune up..new plugs and wires should help. but to me it really sounds like you said a problem with either ignition or fuel .... sounds more like a fuel problem to me but what your experiancing is quite odd i havent heard of it on an sc300 .... it might be a good idea to just drop it off at the stealer and see whats up
Old 12-31-04, 05:40 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

It looks like the FP ECU thing is just an issue on the V8's. D'oh!

Gonna have to check the plugs and wires first because it definitely seems like its throwing too much fuel in there.

thanks for the response!
Old 12-31-04, 06:52 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

EDIT: Just read the whole post, and it could also be a vacuum leak somewhere?

Also, if its a problem with the V8s, it could very well be a problem with our I6's too. Both SC's have the same fuel pump, and maybe fuel pump ecu...

Last edited by /Aerostar\; 12-31-04 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-07-05, 04:21 PM
steveyboy
Driver School Candidate

undefined I recently had a problem with my '92 SC300, 5 peed with 61,000 miles, stalling out after warm up. It would start-up, RPM would jump to 3000 within 1or 2 seconds and fall just as quickly to 0 and stall. I could restart it each time but, it would do the same thing over again for 4 times and on the 5th try always pumping the gas pedal while starting it would run, roughly, I've learned to get the car moving and pumping the gas and shift into 2nd gear as quickly as I can. This works but it sucks. My mechanic went through it and could not find a fault record and so he replaced the electonic Idle Control valve. Did not cure it and that cost $525 installed. I've had it back to him twice and still he cannot find a fault code.
(interesting this started right after my 60K service, coincidence i sure). Someone had posted a similar problem and a possible soultion, change out the old sparkplug wires, and rotor and??. I cannot find the posting again, can anyone direct me to a posting or is it possible to fix with sparkplug wires +++ or another solution?
Thanx