Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

$134 supercharger adds 30 hp????

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-04, 02:51 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $134 supercharger adds 30 hp????

I saw an electric "supercharger" for sale on fleabay for $134 and almost fell out laughing. How can this be possible? Check out flea bay item #4512987465 and chime in with your thoughts. I dont plan on buying this fine item, I just wanted to discuss it...thanks playas...
Old 12-17-04, 04:31 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seen it

ok well it says 1200 cfm output right? im not trying to defend it in anyway but i did the calculations and the sc300's @3k rpm sucks about 135cfm 4k 180cfm and 5k 225cfm and the sc400's suck 180cfm @3k rpm 240 @ 4k and 300 @ 5k rpm, so in essence it could work, but do i really think it can put out that much no. the calculation for cfm is cid*rpm*.5*.85 / 1728. the .5 is because 4stroke engines fill cylinders only have of the revolutions. and the .85=85% is volumetic efficency, it could be alittle higher in out engines, (atleast id like to think so ). so in essence if it could really put out 1200 cfm there should be some gain..... ooh cid for the 300 is 183.071 cid and the 400 is 244.094.
Old 12-20-04, 12:05 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

So you think this plastic supercharger may/could actually work? Seems too cheap (both in price and in construction) to actually work...hmm..interesting...
Old 12-20-04, 12:37 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike~! What is up man???

I've been CL-deprived...LoL

I saw an ad in a Ricer mag awhile ago about this "electic supercharger". They had a legitimate explanation and it seemed to make sense. However, they did not list a price. And now you're telling us it's $134 on Ebay...LoL
In my opinion dude, power isn't cheap - So I don't think it's an exception. Kinda reminds me of the "Tornado"...haha
Old 12-20-04, 01:35 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

You're referring to a $3000 setup that uses a real centrifugal supercharger run by 3 hi-torque starter motors.

I know the inventor, he's quite eccentric. His system works but the downfalls don't really make it worth it. You need a SERIOUS electrical system and you can only run short bursts due to the insane electrical demands...

See more at http://www.boosthead.com/

This really works (somewhat). The ebay thing is just a scam and does nothing.
Old 12-20-04, 01:39 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

There's no way that piece of **** will flow a quarter of the advertised 1200CFM.
I can understand how it can give you a few HP from the line but at anytime after that it's just a huge restriction in the intake pipe.
You want to see what this will feel like at 3000 RPM at WOT: take off your airbox and stuff a damp rag into the intake pipe. *Don't actually do this*

Now taking a closer look at the picture we see:
1) The thing is not even attached to anything, and if it is, I don't know what.
2) That pictured air filter MAY....just MAY be a little bigger in diameter than the main radiator hose, making it AT BEST 2 inches in diameter and 3 inches in length.
You want your car breathing through that?

I'm really glad no-one was dumb enough to bid on it.

fleaBay is getting more and more trashed every day.
Only 1 year ago a search for "SC300" used to bring up 2 pages TOTAL containing 5-10 useful items.
Today it brings up 7 pages with the same 5-10 useful items.

~Alan
Old 12-21-04, 02:00 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SPORTcoupe
There's no way that piece of **** will flow a quarter of the advertised 1200CFM.
I thought so. Power is expensive. There is no shortcut.

Alan, what do you know about the addition of XERD headers to the SC300 in terms of power output? You have any experience with that? Or anyone reading this for that matter...chime in one and all...
Old 12-21-04, 02:23 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
Alan, what do you know about the addition of XERD headers to the SC300 in terms of power output? You have any experience with that?
More flow is always good whether it's exhaust or intake.
I have not tried XERD headers because I knew I was going turbo and that would be a waste of money.
What I do know is that when I got my turbo, it was greatly choked by my restrictive exhaust.
I would build 5 psi at 3500 RPM and carry it through till about 5000 where it slowly started falling off untill at 6500 RPM I was only at 2 psi.
I know my turbo is capable of pushing at least 15 PSI at redline so I started thinking of what it could be and realised I was still running one catalytic converter.
Taking that thing off automatically yielded me at least 30+hp proving that exhaust flow is very important.
What was the point of me writing all that?
XERD headers flow better than the exhaust manifold we got so there will be an increase in power.

Cheers.

~Alan
Old 12-21-04, 02:39 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Ok, my plan now (since I've basically decided not to go turbo on this car) is to add XERD headers, exhaust upgrade, ground wire kit, possibly dual electric fans, and to seal off my air filter from engine heat (I have the Injen intake pos). I'll also get around to doing the throttle body coolant line bypass mod. I believe that will add a somewhat noticable amount of hp to my slow as syrup SC. What do you think?

-Mike
Old 12-21-04, 08:04 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
Ok, my plan now (since I've basically decided not to go turbo on this car) is to add XERD headers, exhaust upgrade, ground wire kit, possibly dual electric fans, and to seal off my air filter from engine heat (I have the Injen intake pos). I'll also get around to doing the throttle body coolant line bypass mod. I believe that will add a somewhat noticable amount of hp to my slow as syrup SC. What do you think?

-Mike
So you decided to go the NA route? What you have listed already will definitely free up some ponies. You might want to throw in a SAFC to your list, I've seen some positive dyno results after tuning.

How much HP are you lookng to gain?
Old 12-22-04, 12:48 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

any way you look at it its going to be slow as syrup mike, corn syrup, corn syrup that you boiled to a tar.

the headers will give you a little kick as with all the rest of those. the coolant bypass mod is a little iffy...theoretically it does make sense but i think the difference is so minimal its negligable. I mean. with or without the coolant bypass mod, your intake and TB are going to act as a heat soak. Granted it will be cooler, it will still be noticeably above the ambient air temp. It does clean up the engine bay nicely and make changing plugs alot easier though

Your list does look pretty good and im sure there will be some, if not all psychological improvement and maybe that syrup will be watered down a bit. Throw in a high stall TC and just have some fun =)

about the supercharger deal...i remember seeing an ad for it in a magazine and i was intrigued so i read on (the $3000 setup that is) This guy had several batteries as well as a beefy alternator. remember, batteries are heavy. Im sure the benefit wouldnt be too much since youll be carrying several hundred pounds of battery acid anyway. About the fleabay one...just get a power inverter and a leaf blower =). THose things flow pretty well.
Old 12-22-04, 05:39 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't forget the adjustable exhaust cam gear. I believe the NA Supra guys have documented a healthy gain with this one...
Old 12-22-04, 12:53 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Marcus, whaddup main? I really didn't think of a specific number I wanted to gain, I'd say as much as I can without breaking the bank I guess. I'm not looking to be a street racer, I just don't like getting dipped on by ricers and gardening trucks around south central! Yes, I got dipped on by a frickin' gardening truck a couple of weeks ago...with lawnmowers in the back. I had a gang of books and clothes in my car but still...gardening trucks ain't supposed to be smashing on me...I'd say a gain of anywhere near 30 horses should be decent for my needs. I'd be happy if the car was slightly under 300hp. Add a SAFC to my list huh? Hmm...mo' money! How many horsies do you estimate I would gain with all this crap?

Ronald, we both know how slow my SC is. But it sure does look good! lol. Hit me up when you get back in town and I'll cruise over. High stall TC? I actually was thinking about that. My rear main seal is leaking right now and I guess I'll fix that in a month or 2 (not dangerous, just messy). When I get the RMS fixed that may be the time to throw in a HSTC. I'll see...

Jose, adjustable exhaust cam gear? I'll have to look into that...thanks fellas...

Last edited by mikeloc24; 12-22-04 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-22-04, 04:50 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

i have the dual electric fans and i cant say i feel much of a difference but it could possibly add 5hp i dunno if thats very noticable on a butt dyno. also the grounding kit i dun beleive it would be of much help in hp either but i guess its cheap and would dress up the engine bay a bit as well as the fans. The safc has proven to give about 7rwhp i believe. i heard thats the best bang for your buck and a used one can probably be purchased for 150-200. but of course u will have to spend another 100 tunning it.
Old 12-23-04, 12:10 AM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by audi2nr
ok well it says 1200 cfm output right? im not trying to defend it in anyway but i did the calculations and the sc300's @3k rpm sucks about 135cfm 4k 180cfm and 5k 225cfm and the sc400's suck 180cfm @3k rpm 240 @ 4k and 300 @ 5k rpm, so in essence it could work, but do i really think it can put out that much no. the calculation for cfm is cid*rpm*.5*.85 / 1728. the .5 is because 4stroke engines fill cylinders only have of the revolutions. and the .85=85% is volumetic efficency, it could be alittle higher in out engines, (atleast id like to think so ). so in essence if it could really put out 1200 cfm there should be some gain..... ooh cid for the 300 is 183.071 cid and the 400 is 244.094.

wow.............what is 4x4 again?......im so bad with math and science........

Quick Reply: $134 supercharger adds 30 hp????