Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Engine swap.... do it myself or pay $1000?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-04, 03:34 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Final Advice needed!

Guys,

I am sure everyone is getting bored to tears with my car problems, but I need a final consensus as to what to do.

I have removed the entire interior of the car and through the help of some great guys on this forum have new parts for the car. Hopefully, after this I will be rid of my wiring problems. In the process I am redoing my interior properly so that it is a solid black. I am hoping when she is all put back together that she will be 100% and ready to drive without any new problems.

My cheapest quote to pull out the old engine and put in the new one ( straight swap - both from 93 SC400's) is $1000. I have close to $1000 saved.

So my question is this. Should I try and do the stright swap myself, or pay $1000 for a mechanic to do it? Bear in mind that I will have to rent a cherry picker at $75, and probably need to buy some tools. I have access to a compressor and such, so it will be smaller tools I will need. I do not have a lift so it will all have to be done via jack-stands

None of my friends are really into cars but I have a guy who I can pay $20 an hour to help me do the swap.

So, should I pay the $1000 and not have to worry about it or else get my fingers dirty and try it myself?

Advice is appreciated. Idiots ( yes u know who you are ) need not respond.

Peace guys and thank you once again for your continued support,

Jonny
Old 10-19-04, 03:38 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say do it yourself if you have the time and patience.

1) the tools you buy, you keep.
2) the engine lift isn't that much money -- buy it and sell it and you won't get screwed over.
3) the experiance is priceless. You'll have a much better understanding of how your car fits together mechanically speaking.

JT
Old 10-19-04, 03:42 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Jonny:

I commend you for wanting to take the plunge. If it was me, I'd try to do it myself. $1,000 to swap a motor is DAMN expensive if you ask me. Also, motor swapping is not rocket science. It's one of the most fool-proof mechanical things you can do if you are careful. It's just unplug everything, remove engine, install engine, replug everything.

It's time consuming, but very possible in your driveway over a weekend. I've done many swaps in my driveway and I'm just a real enthusiast, that's it. Not a professional by any regard, just **** enough to get the job done right.

I'd say get as many opinions as you can from people that have done it. Knowledge is the key tool here. Do the research and just dive in. You might come across some tangles but they shouldn't compare to what you have delt with up to this point with this car.

Go for it, man. It feels damn good when she starts up with her new heart that you installed yourself.
Old 10-19-04, 03:46 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Talking

if you have another car to get around, then do it yourself........at the same time you're learning
and while you learn something, you let us know...........heheheh
Old 10-19-04, 03:46 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by CleanSC

Go for it, man. It feels damn good when she starts up with her new heart that you installed yourself.
Almost brings a tear to me eye!!

Thank you for your continued support. You guys have truly been awesome.

Peace,

Jonny
Old 10-19-04, 03:47 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

what you learn by doing it yourself now, you will save in $$ on later down the road also.
Old 10-19-04, 03:48 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default advice

Personally, I wouldn't do it but you know your mechanical skills better than me. I'd be afraid that one little mistake could cause a major headache....and I think you've had enough of those already with this car.

On the other side...if you want something done right do it yourself. You would have to be really careful and take your time. There's a guy on the E46Fanatics forum who is not a mechanic but is doing the install on a swap himself. He's putting an M3 lump in his 3 series sedan. He says it's easy. He's been working on it for months....only on Saturday mornings. He takes pics every step of the way. It's exciting to see.

I guess I'm saying we would support you if you tried but understand if you paid to have it done.
Old 10-19-04, 04:08 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

If I put myself in your shoes, I'd do it and save the money. From reading your other posts it seams to me that your not afraid to get your hands dirty and that is step one. The other deciding factor is that you do have a guy you can pay to help you out. Has this person ever done an engine swap? I've seen a few done and it was very surprising to me how easy it was. I would highly recommend using a digitial camera to take pics of how some things are connected (wires, emissions stuff, etc) as you disconnect everything. This way you have something to reference when reconnecting it all.

Go for it!
Old 10-19-04, 04:20 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

I would do it myself. I feel that the majority of us (Lexus owners) are borderline perfectionists and will take the extra time to do it right! As someone else said, if you still have transportation to get around in...Go for it!!! The experience and knowledge will be invaluable. As an example, I got my 92 SC400 about 2 months ago. I am the third owner and I know the second owner VERY well. He took great care of the car (oil, fix something as soon as something was wrong, etc) but he wasn't the preventative type. Well, I have some OK mechanical skills but have never worked on a Lexus. So far I have done a full tune-up myself (minus timing belt), all fluids (oil, trans, diff) and am beginning a BFI mod. Just goes to show that with the help of CL, you'll find the info you need to complete your task!
Old 10-19-04, 05:16 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$1000 is not bad for an engine swap. A shop is always going to give you a low-ball estimate because they want your business. My swap cost about $1900 and took 3 weeks.

Just be wise who you chose to do the swap if you don't do it yourself - KLR, the shop who did mine, put the drive shaft in "upside down", essentially, and left MOTOR MOUNT LOOSE, amongst other things like use the wrong bolts and losing others.
Old 10-19-04, 05:25 PM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: advice

Originally posted by reggiek
Personally, I wouldn't do it but you know your mechanical skills better than me. I'd be afraid that one little mistake could cause a major headache....and I think you've had enough of those already with this car.

On the other side...if you want something done right do it yourself. You would have to be really careful and take your time. There's a guy on the E46Fanatics forum who is not a mechanic but is doing the install on a swap himself. He's putting an M3 lump in his 3 series sedan. He says it's easy. He's been working on it for months....only on Saturday mornings. He takes pics every step of the way. It's exciting to see.

I guess I'm saying we would support you if you tried but understand if you paid to have it done.
I agree 100%!!
Old 10-19-04, 05:52 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for it!! The knowledge is priceless. If I had an extra car or the resources at my disposal I wouldn't hesitate.

Make sure to document your progress!!! Good luck
Old 10-19-04, 06:24 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Guys,

Thank you all for your input - it really is greatly appreciated. The more I think about it the more I think that I am going to give it a shot. Taking it apart should be relatively simple, so I am sure if I run into any problems it will be on the installation part. Then, if I do get lost at least I will only be paying them to install an engine - thus making it a little cheaper!!!

My friend who is helping me is a body guy for the city - he has been doing body work for 20+ years. He is truly amazing at what he does, but he has no experience in swapping engines. He has all the tools we need though so hopefully all will work out.

I am going to use my digital video camera to take plenty of pictures and record some stuff so that way maybe if I run into any problems I will have some pictures of what to do. Also, I can help other people on down the road if they try this!

Anyway, please everyone else feel free to chime in. Your advice is always appreciated,

Peace,
Jonny
Old 10-19-04, 06:57 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

if i had the resources, i would do it myself as well. don't be afraid of it, you will a wealth of knowledge about it once completed.... go for it- and take plenty pics!!!!!!!
Old 10-19-04, 08:46 PM
Joehs
Pole Position

Hey man, I say do it yourself, itll be good times, plus if you need some help, or someone to stand around and say good job - you can always call me :P Ill be out of town this weekend, but ill be back monday. Let me know whats going on maybe i can help

~Joey

Quick Reply: Engine swap.... do it myself or pay $1000?