Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

remote mount turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-04, 01:56 AM
sc3boost
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote mount turbo

hey did you guys see this months issue of turbo mag, some guy named rick squires came out with this system, it's basically a rear mounted turbo, under the car and from under the hood it just looks like a cold air intake, and get this the outlet that runs to the intake is comming all the way from the back of car, would'nt this cause major turbo lag? but the article said it had little or no lag at all what do you guys think,

but honestly though, this would make one hell of a sleeper/ drag race money maker
Old 08-05-04, 02:10 AM
sc3boost
Pole Position

here it is.................................................
Attached Thumbnails remote mount turbo-pic2.jpg  
Old 08-05-04, 02:11 AM
sc3boost
Pole Position

and this is it mounted
Attached Thumbnails remote mount turbo-pic-1.jpg  
Old 08-05-04, 02:18 AM
sc3boost
Pole Position

the article also said it's intended for cars with limited room under the hood, but don't expect one for the sc any thim soon, i think the imports are on the back burner on this one, they mentioned tahoe and camaro.
Old 08-05-04, 06:14 AM
jcm3
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a great idea..hint..hint...just wonder how the lag is w/ over 7ft of piping! Also cant drive that car in the rain with the airfilter hanging 1" from the floor. Also oil feed must also be a difficult task.
Old 08-05-04, 06:39 AM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

hmm, well i guess if you want to boost and have no other option this would be okay... but i hardly see why this should even be CONSIDERED for the sc. there are much better systems already out (none of which are on my car yet )

Old 08-05-04, 06:39 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

imagine hitting a pot hole or a speedbump.... oops bye bye turbo.
Old 08-05-04, 07:13 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

haha try tracking down a boost leak on that one!
Old 08-05-04, 02:24 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that design has been used on many domestic cars (ls1/lt1 camaro, fox body's, etc.) so as to be able to keep the displacement. the spool time is affected because of how far away the turbo is from the head but with a v8 it isnt affected much. it would be a great idea for the 400 drivers but the return line for oil is a b*tch and can cause problems since the design of gravity feed is lessened greatly. definately not something to look for on a 300
Old 08-06-04, 03:20 AM
sc3boost
Pole Position

i would never put this on my car, i just found it interesting, and the guy had it patent.
i would only use this system on a real sleeper/drag car, where being a sleeper actually makes you money but then again you gotta put up with the lag vs a nice turbo size, guess they think that you would'nt mind the lag since theres no room under your hood for a normal turbo system.....
Old 08-06-04, 04:42 AM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

I dunno.. maybe you could run a separate oil system back there, and possibly some kind of weird bunch-of-small-diameter-pipes back to the front to lose the FMIC and hopefully cut some of the lag and cost out. I would think the loss of exhaust gas energy through the walls of the exhaust might hurt you though.. but then the cats would heat it back up as you run a little rich on boost... who knows. Maybe worth a shot if you had nothing to do for a week, a hoist, lots of argon, wire, and an old turbo?
Old 08-06-04, 06:40 AM
sc3boost
Pole Position

well where theres a flaw theres a fix right.
you could use a small inline oil pump, and i would keep the intercooler but use a smaller diamiter pipe to get the air acceleration you want, so besides the dumb placement of the air filter, you could make it a little better.
Old 08-06-04, 07:52 AM
qtb33
Lead Lap

I have a video of the camaro. The turbine is very loud from the exhaust. The sounds was amazing but it didn't look to fast, but I dont think most cars do on video.
Old 08-09-04, 06:15 PM
sc3boost
Pole Position

hey you got a video of the camaro???
the link you got there did'nt show it ...................................
Old 08-10-04, 03:24 PM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

I've actually seen a setup like this. They do use a oil pump much like a dry sump setup for the oil return line. And You all said its alot of pipe.. Look at it this way most NA-T SCs also use a good bit of pipe.. Im sure there is a good 5 feet of pipe on most Turbo setups and in some cases more so there isn't really "ALOT" more piping... I don't care for the setup but hey!! I also saw the video of the camero and it did look kinda slow but it was working... But I think I would just stay with the old school setup of a turbo header and the basics..But it did give us all something to talk about..

Quick Reply: remote mount turbo