Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help. GTE Conversion Complete, except Temp Gauge.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-04, 02:30 PM
genyosai
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help. GTE Conversion Complete, except Temp Gauge.

Anyone have a working Temp Gauge in their SC300TT? I did my conversion myself, total investment in the whole project (price of car included) is $16,368.00:

http://home.sc.rr.com/ntgr/images/SC300

I just can't get the TEMP gauge to read right!!! a direct connection causes the tem gauge to PEG HOT immediately, car not even running I suppose the supra tem sender unit sends the wrong output to the gauge. I've installed different watt/ohm resistors and can't find the right combination.

My car is a 93. anyone know the answer?? can I install the temp sender unit from my GE motor onto the GTE and get correct temp readings??

Help!
Old 06-12-04, 06:19 PM
bmsport
Lead Lap

Thats what you have to do, use your GE sensor. You'll need a big drill bit and M16 x 1.5 tap. Some say wire in a 330ohm resistor to the supra sensor, but this did nothing but peg mine on cold.
Old 06-12-04, 07:02 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Honda civic temp sensor works perfect and fits in the supra location.
Old 06-12-04, 07:15 PM
genyosai
Driver

Originally posted by bmsport
Thats what you have to do, use your GE sensor. You'll need a big drill bit and M16 x 1.5 tap. Some say wire in a 330ohm resistor to the supra sensor, but this did nothing but peg mine on cold.
EXACTLY!! Mine is pegged on cold ALL THE TIME

thanks for the info!!
Old 06-12-04, 07:18 PM
genyosai
Driver

Originally posted by Dewsc300
Honda civic temp sensor works perfect and fits in the supra location.
CIVIC temp sensor huh??? What year/model? From a d-series motor or b-series non-vtec or b-series vtec? Does the Supra connector fir, or do I need to source a connector from the proper Honda harness??

If no drilling is required for this sensor, please give me the year/model/motor details so that I can get the sensor.

THANKS!!!
Old 06-12-04, 07:24 PM
genyosai
Driver

one other thing, fellas.

I can't get my backup lights to work for nothing. I swear I've got the right wire connected (supra II1-36 to lexus IK1-11). Maybe I've missed something, I don't know. I'm using the stock 5speed tranny... you guys do something different to get the backup lights working?

Thanks again,
Old 06-12-04, 07:28 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean whips , how fast is that mkiv?
Old 06-12-04, 07:46 PM
genyosai
Driver

Originally posted by lex400sc
Clean whips , how fast is that mkiv?
I'm still working on it I like to start out slow and eventually work my way up. Right now it's only making 450rwhp on 13psi. I still have stock 550cc injectors, so it goes lean at about 6500rpm since I'm running the t88 and no MAF.

I already have some 780cc injectors, titan fuel rail, aeromotive -6 FPR w/gauge, -6 lines and a new fuel pump. I just have to find the time to install everything. From there I expect close to 700rwhp at least on about 21-22psi.

Once I get my SC300TT running right (working temp gauge), I'm switching it to a singe setup. Right now it only makes 340rwhp, then goes rich and loses big power. It also loses power because it's getting a little warmer than normal operating temp. I found this out today LUCKILY because the car started to boil AFTER I turned it off and sat in it for a few minutes. I carried it to flush the cooling system and found that the coolant was VERY dirty and that the flow wasn't good. I suspect that my stock SC radiator with 165k miles on it was a little crappy inside. Then, my JDM GTE motor may have had some corrosion in it as well. This is why I'm NOW so concerned about my temp gauge Once I get the cooling issue resolved (better flow), and lean the mixture out some (using the SAFC I just installed --keeping it simple for now), I expect to get closer to 400rwhp on the stock twins.
Old 06-12-04, 09:14 PM
bmsport
Lead Lap

Honda civic sensor does EXACTLY the same thing as a supra sensor. They are the same 12mm size and probably ohm out to be pretty close, but it still doesnt solve the problem at all. I tried both. Only way is to put the GE sensor in the water neck that i know of.
Old 06-12-04, 09:22 PM
bmsport
Lead Lap

Oh and i also had to replace the original radiator, it was dry rotted out on the bottom. I have a griffen radiator and fal 220 fans. I still overheat when the AC is on at a stop on hot days here in FL.
Old 06-13-04, 07:05 AM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Oh and i also had to replace the original radiator, it was dry rotted out on the bottom. I have a griffen radiator and fal 220 fans. I still overheat when the AC is on at a stop on hot days here in FL.
I met you at the sofl lex meet with the single gs which has the civic temp sensor in it my car with the big single runs the same sensor and have no overheating problems.
Old 06-13-04, 07:58 AM
genyosai
Driver

Honda civic sensor does EXACTLY the same thing as a supra sensor. They are the same 12mm size and probably ohm out to be pretty close, but it still doesnt solve the problem at all. I tried both. Only way is to put the GE sensor in the water neck that i know of.
So you're saying that the CIVIC sensor when in use with the Supra ECU causes the SC300 temp gauge to peg hot just as the Supra sensor does?

If this is the case, when installing the GE sensor you drilled a 12x1.25mm hole in the water outlet neck (thermostat housing). This isn't the stock location, is it?

Thanks,
Old 06-13-04, 08:00 AM
genyosai
Driver

Originally posted by Dewsc300
I met you at the sofl lex meet with the single gs which has the civic temp sensor in it my car with the big single runs the same sensor and have no overheating problems.
So you're using the CIVIC temp sensor with the Supra ECU? It doesn't peg on hot? What year/make/model CIVIC did you get a temp sensor for and does the Supra harness connector connect directly to the sensor?

Thanks.
Old 06-13-04, 08:05 AM
genyosai
Driver

What model Griffin radiator did you get? I don't see a lexus specific application. You got the Supra radiator, didn't you. Supra radiator is shorter than the stock SC radiator. How did you mod the lower mount points to raise the radiator so that the Lexus upper brackets would fit? I have some ideas, but I'd like to know how you did yours. Do you have pics??

Also, my friend but an SC300 from a guy named Ethan (built GE motor... FAST). I think it runs the stock GE radiator with no issues.
Old 06-13-04, 09:13 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your friend bought Ethan Bank's silver spruce SC?

Quick Reply: Help. GTE Conversion Complete, except Temp Gauge.