Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How loud is the sc300 without mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-04, 12:51 PM
Buttercup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How loud is the sc300 without mufflers?

I was wondering exactly how loud is the car without mufflers, keeping the resonators and cats on. Does it exceed 102 dB? How about 92 dB? If it doesn't exceed 102 dB I get 3 wins: 20 lbs saved, 5 hp increase, loud as hell.
Old 04-17-04, 02:51 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i took the 2 muffler's on my car off and it sounds bad ***. I dont have the na 2jz in it though, and im not sure what the dB is, but it sounds sweet!!
Old 04-17-04, 04:20 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by got_trd
i took the 2 muffler's on my car off and it sounds bad ***. I dont have the na 2jz in it though, and im not sure what the dB is, but it sounds sweet!!

a turbo car sounds quite different from an NA. The SC300 is NA.
Old 04-17-04, 05:43 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hmm, you know what. I think im going to do this very soon, prolly next weekend. Ill try my best to get a sound clip
Old 04-19-04, 05:31 PM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

I removed the mufflers on my stock sc300 and it sounds really nice. Doesn't sound raspy at all and isn't that loud. I'd recommend it
Old 04-19-04, 06:10 PM
Buttercup
Pole Position

Do you have a turbo? I read on supraforums that forced induction quiets down the exhaust. My bro's MR2 4 banger is pretty loud- he saved (45 lb muffler-5 lb pipe)= 40 pounds. But I'm wondering if the sc has more catalytic converters and resonators... Hmm......
Old 04-19-04, 06:59 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Default Use the Search Button

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=SC300+exhaust
(note that bean has a turbo)

http://planetsoarer.com/cats/cats.htm

Don't just rip the mufflers out, put in a new system. Are you planning on going turbo at some point? Think about what your final goal is.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...0+exhaust+tone

Rather than try to explain & repost all this stuff, just click the links.

Try the Search Button Sometime... It's magic, I swear.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...der=descending

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...der=descending
Attached Thumbnails How loud is the sc300 without mufflers?-jzz30exhaust2-1-.gif  
Old 04-19-04, 07:07 PM
SCmist
Rookie

Hey Buttercup, This is David with the Blue SC400. We met at the lexus meet last year. I remember telling you about takin off the muffler. In my opinion, My SC300 sounded better than any of the cars in the I6 exhaust competition. I know it's a cheap mod other than buy a real exhaust. But man it turned heads when I use to have it. I really have no Idea how loud it was compared to dB. I really didn't mind the noise level. I suggest you take them off and figure it out for yourself. It's not a difficult task to do. I regret not recording a clip of my setup. Have fun bro.
Old 04-19-04, 07:13 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

ok, im defitely doign this weekend

but i would love to hear a sound clip before doign this...just curious
Old 04-19-04, 07:31 PM
Buttercup
Pole Position

Hey David, didn't see you at the dyno meet a whle back. I actually did take off my mufflers because you gave me some inspiration, but I fabbed up some ghetto piping by using some aluminum sheet metal so the exhaust gases won't shoot up to the suspension. I never got to go full throttle, and my car sounded loud as hell because I wrapped up the pipe with aluminum foil and it started to rattle like hell. The fastest I went with the mufflers off was 30 mph because I didn't want my piping to fall off. I just want to know if it's under 92 dB so I can do it "legally" and I want to know if it's under 102 dB so I can take it to Infineon Raceway.
Old 04-25-04, 06:07 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

UPDATE: Hey there, I removed my mufflers this weekend and I have to say, it sounds awesome!! It is not too loud AT ALL, yea its loud, but not obnoxiously loud. It sounds amazing, so amazing that Im driving around with them off for atleast a week. I recorded some video of it and I am working on getting it up soon.

PS. Removing the muffler hangers can be pretty tricky at first, but once you realize that all you have to do is bend the hell out of the rubber part of the hanger, you can remove them in 5 minutes.

Last edited by /Aerostar\; 04-25-04 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-25-04, 07:15 PM
Buttercup
Pole Position

Cool. However, be careful running without the muffler because the exhaust is pointing directly at the stabilizer bar bushings. What I did was take some aluminum sheet metal (or thin steel sheet metal) and wrap it into a pipe and stick it in the exhaust pipe. I hope to see the the video soon!
Old 04-26-04, 12:56 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

QUOTE]Originally posted by Buttercup
Do you have a turbo? I read on supraforums that forced induction quiets down the exhaust. My bro's MR2 4 banger is pretty loud- he saved (45 lb muffler-5 lb pipe)= 40 pounds. But I'm wondering if the sc has more catalytic converters and resonators... Hmm...... [/QUOTE]

The exhaust side of the turbo basically acts as a muffler. Theres plenty of energy lost there to the turbine. The sound difference is quite noticeable. A straight pipe catback on an NA supra as compared to a TT supra is noticeably louder. Assuming all exaust setups the same aside from the turbo, the NA is more free flowing and therefore is louder.
Old 04-27-04, 02:11 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

while iwas putting on my custom setup.. i started the car and revved it a vew times with the mufflers off, expecting a loud *** rumble..... NOPE!

i mean it was a LITTLE louder... but it didn't sound good to me... it doesn't sound tuned. Then i put the mufflers and and it sounded much much better

my 2 cents
Old 04-27-04, 05:44 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

I helped install a turbo on an IS300 this past weekend, and it sounded sweet... the get-up-and-go didn't hurt either.

...I actually rode down to NY where we did the install in another turbo'd IS, that one had the factory exhaust (gutted) and it equally sounded quite sweet. Very quiet at idle, mean and nasty when you jumped on it. It didn't drone, nor was it too loud -- that would have made the 4 hour ride miserable. Perfect IMO.

Quick Reply: How loud is the sc300 without mufflers?