Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Almost done with my 2jzgte head swap..few pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-04, 06:48 PM
William N.
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Almost done with my 2jzgte head swap..few pics

Well, before I was NA-T w/ stock compression dynoing 325 rwhp @ 10 psi. I got tired of the NA-T setup and wanted to do the 2jzgte swap. Well, I couldn't find a 2jzgte motor w/ an automatic transmission for a good deal but I ran into this guy that needed a 2jzgte bottom end because he blew his. So what we did was that we split the cost of a JDM motor w/ wiring harness, automatic transmission, etc. He got the bottom end and I got everything else(2jzgte head, wiring harness, ecu, auto tranny, etc.) So what I did was that I put the 2jzgte head on my 2jzge block using a 2mm headgasket to lower the compression. I received the JDM 2jzgte wiring harness that is about 2-3 ft. shorter than the US spec harness so I used my 2jzge harness and lengthened only the wires that were missing from the 2jzge harness that came off the 2jzgte (cam sensors connectors, coil pack connectors, ignitor connectors, extra automatic sensors, etc.) and added them to my 2jzge harness. Because of that, I didn't have to modify the dash wires on my 2jzge harness which made things pretty simple. (The 2jzge and 2jzgte ecu pins are very similar ) So, finally my project is almost finished and I will be back on the road again by the end of this week . I did ALL of the engine work and harness wiring MYSELF in my small garage. Here are some old pics that I took a week ago.

This is the modified 2jzge harness with the necessary 2jzgte connectors put in...(this is an old pic...it is taped up nicely now)

I will take more pics once the car is finished and cleaned up!

Last edited by William N.; 04-03-04 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-03-04, 07:25 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Finally some pics!
Old 04-03-04, 07:35 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Nice job.
Old 04-03-04, 07:47 PM
William N.
Pole Position

Aliga, finally had time to post up pics! I also want to thank you again for letting me borrow your stock manifold for a few months

Lex Luthor, thanks!! How's your project coming along?

Last edited by William N.; 04-03-04 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-03-04, 08:20 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Impressive Work

gadgetSC-t
Old 04-03-04, 09:27 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Nice project man!!!
Looks like one hell of a job though
Old 04-04-04, 07:21 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

William,
Where are you in tx?
JPI
Old 04-04-04, 07:45 AM
legendary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hats off to you!

Post the final results and let us know how it runs (dyno)
Old 04-04-04, 08:26 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

William,

We've had our differences in the past primarily due to mis-communication. For that, I apologize. I hope we can move forward.

I wanted to post because I'd like to see your project succeed. However, I'm concerned that your C/R isn't what you think it is. I did a very thorough analysis of the GE and GTE head volumes on SF: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...hreadid=171162 I invite any critique on the numbers, but I think the analysis stands up pretty well.

I've concluded that the head volumes are almost identical. Therefore, a 2mm hg will do little to bring the C/R down. Most of the drop in C/R is due to the 14cc dish in the TT pistons. That's approximately 10cc's more than an NA piston. Consequently, I believe you're still in the high 9s with NA pistons.

In addition to C/R, how are you setting up crank position. Are you mounting an aftermarket crank sensor around the pulley? Just curious.

Again, my apologies about our earlier exchange on SF.

Thanks,
-scott

Last edited by motorheaddown; 04-04-04 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-04-04, 08:26 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am impressed too.
Old 04-04-04, 11:02 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We've had our differences in the past primarily due to mis-communication. For that, I apologize. I hope we can move forward.
VeryCool

gadgetSC-t
Old 04-04-04, 11:18 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by tt1520
How's your project coming along?
Will, it'll be headed on a transporter this week to SP for a new motor, minor electronics additions, and alot of time booked on the dyno for tuning. Will be turnkey when it arrives back here in a few weeks, going for a conservative tune at first, no big numbers yet, just a reliable daily driver. JBE Racing ended being a complete nightmare and is the worst shop i'v ever dealt with, you have more options down by you, i'm forced to spend almost the price of another short block just to have it transported to a competent tuner. As for yours, I assume you spoke w/ SupraTico on SF? IMO the TT intake manifold is worth the swap alone to not have to deal with changing/checking plugs with that GE intake . Scott.....you causin' trouble again?

- JonJon
Old 04-04-04, 11:13 PM
William N.
Pole Position

gadgetSC, thank you for the comment...Hopefully my swap will look as clean as your NA-T setup...

Richie, thanks....it was definitely a lot of work but hopefully worth it...

JPI, I am located in Irving, TX...I noticed that you are located in Garland. We definitely have to meet up sometime.

legendary, thanks!! I will definitely post up dyno results once its finished...

Scott,

I want to truly let you know that I am sorry for anything I have said to you. Like you said before, miscommunication...I am glad that you brought it up but I wished I was the first one to apologize to you. You have helped me a lot with my NA-T and have always been there for me. You are definitely a huge asset to the boards and one of the smartest people that I know...We have to hang out again...

As for your questions....I did read your post about the C/R comparison w/ the gte and ge heads and how their volumes are practically identical(pretty analytical post I must say). From that, I determined to use a 2 mm headgasket because NA-T guys have used 2 mm headgaskets and get a ~8.6:1 compression ratio. Thus if the ge and gte head volumes were identical and if I am using my stock ge block w/ ge pistons, then what I am doing is similar to a NA-T w/ a 2 mm headgasket getting a compression of ~8.6:1. This might be inaccurate so hopefully you can chime in on this one. If the compression ratio is not what I want, I don't mind changing the headgasket to a thicker one..I wouldn't mind a 9:1 compression ratio because with the stock twins, I have it set to true twin mode and not sequential (eliminating the "common" second turbo failure that supra guys get in sequential mode) and from what I hear, the true twin setup on a supra TT automatic is a little laggy...Thus with the higher compression, my spool up would be quicker and I wouldn't have to run as much boost to make good power (~14 psi) which also helps the life on the turbos. I ran 10-11 psi on my NA-T w/ a 60-1 Hi-Fi turbo w/ stock 10:1 compression and made decent power(325rwhp)

As for my crank position sensor...For some odd reason, I have a crank position sensor already on my NA oil pump. I bought a gte oil pump and a gte crank position sensor and compared it with my NA one and it was identical. I guess the 1997s had crank position sensors...Who knows why???

awj, thanks!!! Tell me when you receive the parts I sent you...

Lex, that sounds like a good plan...I know that Sound Performance will do a great job on your car. No more blowing up engines And yes, I did email SupraTico some questions about the swap...He was somewhat helpful. Like what you said...The factory stock TT intake manifold was a major plus on why I did the swap...I hated the fact that I had to pull off the throttle body and Y pipe to get to 2 of my spark plugs and I also dislike the intercooler piping on the cold side being directly above the turbo. Other things which made me switch to the gte was the factory direct fire compared to the big o' distributor(which got in the way) and spark plug wires, more exhaust manifold options, the stock TT automatic transmission strength compared to the NA, factory 550cc injectors, and lastly, the price...I got EVERYTHING needed for the swap for $3500 which included(This price also included powdercoated valve covers, ceramic coated upper and lower intake manifold and ceramic coated turbo pipes):

The good part of the head swap is that I sold my old turbo kit for $4300(which did 325 rwhp @ 10 psi w/ stock 10:1 compression) and I sold my stock NA stuff and got $700 for everything...I actually gained some money doing the swap so I bought some new Iforged wheels!

So hopefully I will have the same HP if not more w/ the new gte setup compared to my NA-T setup( I know of a guy who did the same exact swap except that he had a 5 speed and made 386rwhp @ 14psi on pump gas).

Jon, what part of NY are you from? I will be moving to Philly, PA in mid August to go to Dental school so if you're close by, we definitely have to hook up....

Last edited by William N.; 08-04-04 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-05-04, 07:11 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

William,

Cool... I'm glad we can move forward.

After reviewing the numbers, it appears you should be in pretty good shape. I keep forgetting that there's more than just the valve cutout dish in the NA pistons. Worst case, it's 9.3:1; it could be as low as 9:1. Good tuning and meth/water injection should keep it safe.

About the crank position... Didn't your car have a distributor? If so, I don't understand why you have a crank sensor unless your distributor only measured cam position. If that's the case, then you're golden.

Good luck!

-scott

Last edited by motorheaddown; 04-05-04 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-05-04, 09:23 AM
William N.
Pole Position

Scott,

Thanks for double checking on my numbers...I will be very satisfied w/ a 9.3:1 or 9:1 compression ratio. But what I don't understand is that if the head volumes of the ge and gte are the same(thus not changing the compression ratio) then why does it come out to be in the 9s in compression w/ a 2 mm headgasket using the gte head w/ the ge block if guys that go NA-T on the stock ge head and ge block w/ a 2 mm headgasket have ~8.6:1?

As for the crank position sensor. My 2jzge engine did have a distributor and a crank position sensor. It doesn't make sense and I don't understand why it had both but it does. Here's a pic that I took of my 1997 SC300 service manual.

Hey Scott, we have to hang out again. I still have your phone number so I'm gonna be calling you up and bothering you Give me an update on your project.

thanks again,
William

Last edited by William N.; 04-05-04 at 09:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Almost done with my 2jzgte head swap..few pics