Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What’s missing right here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-23, 01:51 AM
Kxdza
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What’s missing right here?

Draining the coolant from the block when I noticed that it looks like something is missing on the power steering rack. Does anybody know what this is? If I’m being dumb cut me some slack I’m 17 n this is my first project car lmao. Anyways any help/knowledge is appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2505.MOV (13.52 MB, 22 views)
Old 06-22-23, 07:28 AM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Kxdza
Draining the coolant from the block when I noticed that it looks like something is missing on the power steering rack. Does anybody know what this is? If I’m being dumb cut me some slack I’m 17 n this is my first project car lmao. Anyways any help/knowledge is appreciated.
You're missing a big bold there, I think that's a 24mm
Old 06-22-23, 07:34 AM
Klapped96
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I believe if I'm looking at my diagrams right.....only thing missing there is a rack housing cap. but nothing you need to touch less you're rebuilding it. only thing there is a nut, bearing, spacer. in that order. so iunno put some masking tape there or something since the cap went poof. otherwise not a worry.
The following users liked this post:
Tallyhoe (06-22-23)
Old 06-22-23, 07:08 PM
Kxdza
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by Klapped96
I believe if I'm looking at my diagrams right.....only thing missing there is a rack housing cap. but nothing you need to touch less you're rebuilding it. only thing there is a nut, bearing, spacer. in that order. so iunno put some masking tape there or something since the cap went poof. otherwise not a worry.
Is there anywhere I could buy the cap at (online) or do I just go to a junkyard? Thanks for your help.
Old 06-22-23, 07:24 PM
Klapped96
Rookie

Is there anywhere I could buy the cap at (online) or do I just go to a junkyard? Thanks for your help.
I'd be pretty certain to say any new or reman rack would come with one. Otherwise more than welcome to knick one from a junkyarder. But again some tape or something should do you fine. It really isn't a huge deal. But if you absolutely had to have one, junkyards your bet as I didn't see a part number looking at the exploded diagram.
Old 06-22-23, 07:46 PM
Kxdza
Driver School Candidate

I'd be pretty certain to say any new or reman rack would come with one. Otherwise more than welcome to knick one from a junkyarder. But again some tape or something should do you fine. It really isn't a huge deal. But if you absolutely had to have one, junkyards your bet as I didn't see a part number looking at the exploded diagram.
What is the purpose of the cap? I'm not losing any power steering so it isn't leaking but i'm confused on what it does and why its gone. Once again thanks for all of your help.
Old 06-22-23, 08:08 PM
Klapped96
Rookie

What is the purpose of the cap? I'm not losing any power steering so it isn't leaking but i'm confused on what it does and why its gone. Once again thanks for all of your help.
The cap is just that. It just keeps that bearing clean and covered from whatever. Water, dirt, debris.
Old 06-22-23, 09:20 PM
Kxdza
Driver School Candidate

The cap is just that. It just keeps that bearing clean and covered from whatever. Water, dirt, debris.
But everything is there? I don't know a whole lot about power steering systems so I just want to make sure everything is good. If so than I'll do as you recommended and tape it up.
Old 06-23-23, 03:19 AM
Klapped96
Rookie

But everything is there? I don't know a whole lot about power steering systems so I just want to make sure everything is good. If so than I'll do as you recommended and tape it up.

look kid I'm just some random internet dude with technician resources. You do what you need to. Yes everything is there, and yes you can try some tape or literally anything that can just cover that. Or just let it be and worry about it when it's an actual problem. Or option c, go to a junkyard, see if and sc's are there and go grab one off it. Either way it's good. And again. Not the biggest deal. These are 30 year old machines. It's gonna be missing a bolt or 10.
The following users liked this post:
RudysSC (06-23-23)
Old 06-23-23, 12:13 PM
Kxdza
Driver School Candidate

look kid I'm just some random internet dude with technician resources. You do what you need to. Yes everything is there, and yes you can try some tape or literally anything that can just cover that. Or just let it be and worry about it when it's an actual problem. Or option c, go to a junkyard, see if and sc's are there and go grab one off it. Either way it's good. And again. Not the biggest deal. These are 30 year old machines. It's gonna be missing a bolt or 10.
Thanks for that diagram that’s very useful. And alright man I’ll tape it up or something. Thanks for sharing some knowledge and take care.