Pacific For events in California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Alaska.

Similar shops like Tanin Auto Electronix in Socal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-17, 07:52 AM
3stars1sun
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Similar shops like Tanin Auto Electronix in Socal?

My gauge cluster for my 98 SC300 is alteady starting to fail. Climate control lights are half lit. Radio lights are totally out. It seems that Tanin Auto is the go to shop for these kind of issues. But I don't want to deal with the hassle of uninstalling and shipping all my parts. I missed out when they came to SD a few weeks ago. Is there any local business that you guys can recommend as alternative?
Old 12-23-17, 10:05 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

If you needed your engine ECU's capacitors replaced and traces repaired an alternative to Tanin Auto Electronix in southern California is Driftmotion. I've used both Tanin and Driftmotion for ECU capacitor repair. I've also had luck in the past sending my HVAC control unit out to an ebay repair service to have the worn out LCD screen replaced (although now in hindsight I'd go to Tanin for that).

For the gauge cluster, however, after people's experiences with the awful Lextech Lighting company, I'd recommend staying with Tanin Auto. They have excellent customer service and they know exactly what they are doing with our dash clusters. Anyway, any place that would repair or rebuild your SC's dash cluster will still require you to remove it.

They key when shipping to/from a California address with something like your gauge cluster is to never, ever use an overnight shipping service, especially Fedex Overnight (never use Fedex Overnight service... ever), always insure for replacement value and require a direct adult signature or the direct signature of the recipient (you) when it is sent back to you. Do this for both sending to and have Tanin ship it back to you the same way. Regular Fedex (non-Overnight) is probably still the most reliable shipper for something like a dash cluster or ECU. Just not "Fedex Overnight".

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-23-17 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-23-17, 12:46 PM
3stars1sun
Rookie

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
If you needed your engine ECU's capacitors replaced and traces repaired an alternative to Tanin Auto Electronix in southern California is Driftmotion. I've used both Tanin and Driftmotion for ECU capacitor repair. I've also had luck in the past sending my HVAC control unit out to an ebay repair service to have the worn out LCD screen replaced (although now in hindsight I'd go to Tanin for that).

For the gauge cluster, however, after people's experiences with the awful Lextech Lighting company, I'd recommend staying with Tanin Auto. They have excellent customer service and they know exactly what they are doing with our dash clusters. Anyway, any place that would repair or rebuild your SC's dash cluster will still require you to remove it.

They key when shipping to/from a California address with something like your gauge cluster is to never, ever use an overnight shipping service, especially Fedex Overnight (never use Fedex Overnight service... ever), always insure for replacement value and require a direct adult signature or the direct signature of the recipient (you) when it is sent back to you. Do this for both sending to and have Tanin ship it back to you the same way. Regular Fedex (non-Overnight) is probably still the most reliable shipper for something like a dash cluster or ECU. Just not "Fedex Overnight".
Thanks for the input. I've reached out to Tanin before and found out they don't do repairs for the lighting cluster and needles for 97 and up SC's. I wonder why...
Old 12-26-17, 09:16 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

We come here at least every month and we are in San Diego. Please reach out via phone, email, etc to get your problems documented so we can determine pricing and scheduling.

We do repair 97+ SC clusters. What specifically is failing?
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 12-26-17, 09:38 PM
3stars1sun
Rookie

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
We come here at least every month and we are in San Diego. Please reach out via phone, email, etc to get your problems documented so we can determine pricing and scheduling.

We do repair 97+ SC clusters. What specifically is failing?
Gas gauge takes a long time to climb after filling up, cluster lights are starting to dim and needs to be replaced. Climate control lcd and lights need replacing too.
Old 12-27-17, 05:55 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

The gas gauge usually takes a long time to climb on all cars. Also the 97+ clusters don't have lights or bulbs like prior years. They use fluorescent tubes.

Are you comparing a before and after? Did you notice the gas gauge move faster at some point and now it's not? Were the lights brighter at some point and now they no longer are?

Temperature swings will affect fluorescent lighting sometimes since they are gas filled tubes as opposed to standard lighting. It's colder now in So Cal so the lights in the cluster may be dimmer.

The climate control and radio we can take care of no problem. The cluster needs more analysis.
www.taninautoelectronix.com