Pacific For events in California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, and Alaska.

What would you do.......

Old 09-21-11, 05:51 PM
shonn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation What would you do.......

So its been 6 months since i helped this person out by letting them borrow money to get them out of a jam. This so-called friend said they would pay me back. After a while of dodging my calls and texts i talked with them with the promise of being paid back. But again, nothing. I am not going to disclose the amount or this persons name.....yet. Hopefully he will see this and decide it would be a good idea to pay his debt. So, i would like to know your opinion on what you would do in my situation.
Old 09-21-11, 08:28 PM
whit3b0y
Pole Position

First gotta say, easiest way. Don't lend money, that is what banks are for. If you do don't plan on getting it back.....
Kinda similar happened to me about 10yrs ago. I got a suspended license and my buddy needed new tires so i let him borrow my rims. We both hung out with the same crew and worked at the same place. A girl became interested in him because he had a nice car with nice rims. She convinced him his debt to me was paid and the rims were his from that point. He stopped picking me up for work and I ended up losing my job, while his new was being driven around because she didn't have a car. I tried the whole phone thing, left messages with his room mate.... Finally got my license back and drove my truck to his work and put his car on blocks and took all his lug nuts off and laid them on the wind shield atop the wipers. He had put his own wheel lock on them so i was unable to get the wheels. That weekend he showed up at my house with the wheels, brand new tires mounted! AND a couple of beers. He told me how they had been in such a big fight because he was late to pick her up. Because he had to find a jack and torque wrench. That made him realize what their relationship was about. And that he had forgot i fight ghetto and that his face was to the curb in round one.
My advice... let him know that you still remember the debt and will. BUT don't break the law, jail sucks. Give him some time, my guess your not fussing over a dub sack. extra money is not easy to find in a tough economy. there is a make or break point. Decide if the friendship is worth the fight!
Old 09-21-11, 10:13 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I agree with whit3b0y- never let your friends borrow money from you. It doesn't matter if it's as small as a buck. If he promised to pay you back, he's putting the friendship on the line with that promise. Unfortunately, with the dodging of calls and texts, your "friend" doesn't feel that the relationship is worth salvaging. Lesson learned. Some friends make good on their word, while others end up not being your friends. You have to be a good judge of character. It isn't easy, especially since you were trying to help your buddy out of a jam, but I'd move forward as if I would never recoup the money AND cut off all ties with him. If he really values the friendship, he'll come back with the full amount and maybe a little something extra for making you wait all this time. But I wouldn't hope to see that money again. Sorry, that's just how it is sometimes. Friends and money rarely mix, IMO.
Old 09-22-11, 02:03 AM
scshinobi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shonn its safe to say said person owes more than one of my homies money and i can for a fact say its more than the amount he owes you..... it seems person doesnt learn or have any remorse, i got a headache and very angry the last encounter i had, talks **** then tries to buy **** person needs.... I'm sure person has a way of contacting you but is not, you need to let person know you're serious in a kind respectful way a friendly warning of no longer holding a friendship and escalating the situation if nothing happens. call me when you get the chance if not i will see you this weekend. i hope for the best for this situation person seemed like a stand up guy when we met, hopefully i was right

Last edited by scshinobi; 09-22-11 at 02:06 AM.
Old 09-22-11, 02:11 AM
scshinobi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by whit3b0y
First gotta say, easiest way. Don't lend money, that is what banks are for. If you do don't plan on getting it back.....
Kinda similar happened to me about 10yrs ago. I got a suspended license and my buddy needed new tires so i let him borrow my rims. We both hung out with the same crew and worked at the same place. A girl became interested in him because he had a nice car with nice rims. She convinced him his debt to me was paid and the rims were his from that point. He stopped picking me up for work and I ended up losing my job, while his new was being driven around because she didn't have a car. I tried the whole phone thing, left messages with his room mate.... Finally got my license back and drove my truck to his work and put his car on blocks and took all his lug nuts off and laid them on the wind shield atop the wipers. He had put his own wheel lock on them so i was unable to get the wheels. That weekend he showed up at my house with the wheels, brand new tires mounted! AND a couple of beers. He told me how they had been in such a big fight because he was late to pick her up. Because he had to find a jack and torque wrench. That made him realize what their relationship was about. And that he had forgot i fight ghetto and that his face was to the curb in round one.
My advice... let him know that you still remember the debt and will. BUT don't break the law, jail sucks. Give him some time, my guess your not fussing over a dub sack. extra money is not easy to find in a tough economy. there is a make or break point. Decide if the friendship is worth the fight!
i agree completely, personal 2 cents to add: people have lost more from much less than a dub sack debt, I personally think its the principal of the situation and not the amount. money comes and goes but memories are usually here to stay
Old 09-22-11, 02:12 PM
latenights
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
I agree with whit3b0y- never let your friends borrow money from you. It doesn't matter if it's as small as a buck. If he promised to pay you back, he's putting the friendship on the line with that promise. Unfortunately, with the dodging of calls and texts, your "friend" doesn't feel that the relationship is worth salvaging. Lesson learned. Some friends make good on their word, while others end up not being your friends. You have to be a good judge of character. It isn't easy, especially since you were trying to help your buddy out of a jam, but I'd move forward as if I would never recoup the money AND cut off all ties with him. If he really values the friendship, he'll come back with the full amount and maybe a little something extra for making you wait all this time. But I wouldn't hope to see that money again. Sorry, that's just how it is sometimes. Friends and money rarely mix, IMO.
Truth^^.. It does no good to tell you never to do something which you've already done, so all that you can do is chalk it up as a lesson learned. I will say the amount of $$ that was borrowed makes a huge difference as to what you should do next. If it's a meager amount, leave it to him to decide how much the "friendship' was worth, and move on. If it broke the bank though, I'd highly suggest NOT outing him on a public forum. If anything, that would narrow your chances of getting your money back.
Old 09-22-11, 07:33 PM
shonn
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the input guys. I already know he's seen this thread. I don't plan on putting him on blast on the boards. UNLESS he keeps this up. As far as i'm concerned he is not my friend but just another person. I'm trying to deal with it like an adult. Oh well, we'll see what happens I guess.
Old 10-11-11, 09:44 AM
sway162
Lexus Champion

So what happened? Did you lay a smack down or what.....