NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

iPod vs Bluetooth audio

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19, 07:35 AM
lws1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question iPod vs Bluetooth audio

I would prefer to just use my iPod, but after shutting off the NX and restarting the NX, the connection with the iPod goes off even though it is still plugged into the USB port in the middle glove box. If I want to access it again, I have to unplug and replug, or sometimes when I turn off the NX and restart it will come on again. Does anyone know what's up? I have an iPhone, but I don't like to keep music on it because it takes up too much room.
Old 04-10-19, 09:00 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Are you using the other USB port to charge your phone when this happens?

When you plug an iPhone into a USB port it goes into "iPod mode". The 2 USB ports in the car can only support 1 Apple product at a time. So you could have an iPod and a thumb drive for instance. But not an iPod and an iPhone.
Old 04-11-19, 04:34 AM
lws1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not have both plugged in at the same time. I just have the IPod constantly plugged into the USB and of course my phone is hooked via Bluetooth. Before I shut the NX down, I do not turn off the iPod or do anything concerning that. Sometimes it resumes without issue and then other times it is as if it is not plugged in, so I have to unplug is from the USB and then replug it to get the connection again. I don't know why it is intermittent like that.
Old 04-11-19, 11:21 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 122 Posts

Have you tried rebooting the iPod every so often? Apple products (especially iPhones) do funny things when not rebooted often enough. In my Tacoma, it will just stop recognizing my iPod altogether until I reset it. In my case, the iPod itself is locking up.
Old 04-11-19, 11:30 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by offroad200
Have you tried rebooting the iPod every so often? Apple products (especially iPhones) do funny things when not rebooted often enough. In my Tacoma, it will just stop recognizing my iPod altogether until I reset it. In my case, the iPod itself is locking up.
I wonder if it’s due to the iPod being a little old at this point? Old tech compatibility with newer tech can be sketchy sometimes.
Old 04-11-19, 12:35 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

Just an observation from my time in my NX with an android phone while listening to music/books/podcasts through my Bluetooth connected/wireless earbuds.

Approximately a minute after I start the car while using the earbuds, the sound through the earbuds stops...presumably because the car Bluetooth has overridden my earbud Bluetooth.

Because my earbuds are controlled by the number of taps or length of taps I make to the right earpiece, when the sound to the earbuds is "stolen" by the car, I tap on my earpiece once and the sound is restored.

This may not help you, but it may be an indication that your problem it is NOT an iPhone problem.

My NX is a 2017 F-Sport... and I've learned to live with a few of its idiosyncrasies.
Old 09-22-19, 09:05 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I don’t use an iPod in the NX but I do use an old one in my 2018 Ridgeline. Initially, I had problems like you described. I reset and reloaded the iPod and it’s worked properly ever since. That may help with yours.
Old 11-14-19, 06:59 AM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had a similar problem with my iPod Touch, even when my iPhone is not plugged in (Bluetooth only). Problems:
  • Sometimes my iPod seems to disconnect when the car is turned off, and often doesn't reconnect when the car is restarted.
  • My iPod sometimes continues to play when the car is turned off, resulting in the iPod going dead. It charges minimally when the car is turned on.
  • Sometimes the iPod spontaneously disconnects, the whole audio system turns off. This also happens when the iPod goes dead.
  • Sometimes when the iPod is plugged in, it's not shown as a one of the audio sources.
At this point, until I have an iPhone with enough capacity to hold my iTunes library, I'm thinking that I'll probably just put it all on a USB stick.