NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2017 NX Warranty required Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-19, 10:45 AM
Jimsathome
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool 2017 NX Warranty required Maintenance?

Hi Gents,

Sorry if this post sounds stupid, but I can't find the info needed.

Background:
We purchased a 2017 NX-200t new from Lexus for my wife, but I'm charged with any required servicing at the dealer, tires, etc. (Normal "hubby" stuff.) This is our first Lexus and I only get to drive it to Lexus Service and if my wife wants to have a glass of wine when we are out in it / or she's tired. We mostly use my car so the NX doesn't see a lot of use as it stays in the garage. Currently is has less than 29,000 Kms on it (about 18,000 miles) in a year and a half of ownership. When we bought it I was primarily focused on the engine performance and reliability, but not on the regular maintenance side. I just assumed that the maintenance requirements would be better than her last car (a 2006 Mini Cooper S we also bought new). I always buy a set of good snow tires on rims and do my own swaps which lets me inspect the brakes, suspension, etc., in the surrounding area twice a year. The Lexus manual states: "Your Lexus has been designed to need as little maintenance as possible."

Issue:
We got a call last week, and now a letter from the Lexus dealer reminding us the car needs another "Service". I realize this side of the business is where they make most of their income, and if service is required to maintain the warranty coverage, of course we will do it. However, in all the manuals we've gotten with the vehicle, I'll be dammed if there is a simple schedule of required services to maintain warranty coverage. All I can find is basically => refer to your local dealer. I called Lexus Canada's 1-800-265-3987 Customer Service number today, and was told they only provide towing services on weekends, so I thought I may get better info here at the Forum.

Most newer cars (and certainly I expect it of all "luxury" brands) have computer monitoring of the Oil condition. (My buddy's Mazda 2017 CX-9 even has it.) Our NX seems to have been setup (or maybe it's the default) to time - every 6 months. I called the dealer and was advised they "recommend" this interval, but had no idea if it is "required" to maintain warranty coverage. This would be the 4th Oil change since new. If my memory is correct the 2006 Supercharged Cooper would go 15,000 Kms between Oil Changes 13 years ago, and this one is recommended to go only 8,000 Kms (5,000 Miles) on full synthetic oil for a 2017 vehicle? A 2019 Mazda CX-5 Turbo (I'm looking at one for my new car) is 12,000 Kms (7,500 Miles) for their schedule 1 intervals. For some strange reason even they "recommend" schedule 2 which drops this to the Lexus numbers for Canada. This seems so bizarre to me as we live near Vancouver 20 minutes from Washington state and the driving conditions are pretty much identical. (Just like Seattle.) But that's another story...(Sorry for the Rant.)

The NX has about 4,000 Kms (2,500 Miles) since it's last Oil Change (August 2018), so you get an idea of expected use. Most is a combination of highway and light city traffic for my wife's daily 25 minute commute.

Is this service interval reality for warranty coverage, or am I delusional expecting more from a Lexus?

Thanks for your input.
Old 03-02-19, 12:09 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Not sure about Canada but there is a factory maintenance schedule in the US manual and online. It’s generally oil changes every 10,000 miles. They want you to do tire rotations every 5,000. You aren’t required to have any of it done at the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
Jimsathome (03-02-19)
Old 03-02-19, 05:51 PM
Jimsathome
Driver

Thanks Ross. That's about what I was expecting. 10,000 miles is 16,000 Kms. Does the US Manual say it has to occur every 6 months? (Do you have a link to it?

Thanks for the assist.
Old 03-02-19, 06:30 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Can you register your car here?

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/

It has all the data you need. If not one of the books included with the car should have the schedule.

The US manual says every 12 months or 10k miles to change the oil. At 2 years/24k miles it says you also need to change the cabin filter.
The following users liked this post:
Jimsathome (03-02-19)
Old 03-02-19, 06:48 PM
brook41
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It’s in the warranty and services booklet, oil change every one year or 10,000 miles! They like to see you every 5,000miles or 6 months for tire rotations.
Old 03-02-19, 10:27 PM
Jimsathome
Driver

Hi Gents,

Thanks for posting. I registered and downloaded the US Warranty & Services Book which has far more details. It states:

Determining Your Maintenance Interval: Months vs. Mileage Lexus recommends obtaining scheduled maintenance for your vehicle every six months or 5,000 miles, whichever occurs first. For example: • If at six months you have driven less than 5,000 miles, you should obtain maintenance at six months; don’t wait until 5,000 miles. • If you drive 5,000 miles in less than six months, you should obtain maintenance at 5,000 miles; don’t wait until six months. Be sure to keep an eye on your mileage so that you obtain maintenance when recommended. If you are a low-mileage driver, mark your calendar to remind yourself to obtain maintenance every six months.

On every page it has this in a footnote:
Replace the engine oil and oil filter every 12 months or 10,000 miles, or when the oil maintenance reminder appears, whichever comes first.

So it seems Lexus US wants to "service" the NX every 6 months like in Canada, but at least it isn't trying to get an extra Oil & Filter change each time.

In the corresponding Lexus Canada book it states:

Engine Oil and Oil Filter • Change the engine oil and oil filter when scheduled. Use API SN. EnergyConserving II multigrade engine oil or ILSACmultigrade engine oil. For recommendedviscosity, please refer to your Owner’s Manual.

But there are no schedules included!

At the top of page 41 it says:

Explanation of Scheduled Maintenance Items
• Please see your dealer for a customized copy of the maintenance menu, specific to your vehicle and tailored to your driving habits.

So it leaves it to the local dealer to make it up I guess...
Old 03-03-19, 07:17 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

You creating mountain out of a mouse.

You do oil changes every 10 000 miles.
There is major difference between "recommended" and "required".
The only thing you have to do out of regular maintenance is brake fluid change at 30 000 miles.(to really raised eyebrows and WHY at Toyota that did it for me.)

Stop freaking out over letters. Dealerships make profit off maintenance, needed or forced, more than off selling cars. Of course they will be sending you letters and emails and text messages.. Anything that is not required in maintenance schedule is done common sense wise. Or you will be making payments on dealer owner new Mercedes for years to come. Or Range Rover, whatever is the dealer fashion in your neck..
Old 03-03-19, 11:38 AM
Jimsathome
Driver

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
You creating mountain out of a mouse.

You do oil changes every 10 000 miles.
There is major difference between "recommended" and "required"..
Thanks - you hit the nail on the head! I'm trying to document what is required to maintain warranty coverage by Lexus. I'm not a fan of wasting $$ to change the oil based on a Dealer's whim who really only cares about his profit margin.

Lexus Canada doesn't give the clarity you folks in the US have in your manuals.

Thanks for posting.
Old 03-04-19, 06:46 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

I actually looked up maintenance schedule online
It says oil change every 10 000 miles and "reset maintenance light every 5 000 miles". Reason maintenance comes up is because of the tire rotations, "road test" and that's it. That's most likely what trips maintenance required soon every 5K miles.
Old 03-04-19, 02:50 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Maintenance Providers
Maintenance and repair services may be performed by you or by any automotive service provider you choose. Toyota will not deny a warranty claim solely because you used a service provider other than a Toyota dealership for maintenance and repairs. However, damage or failure caused by improper maintenance or repairs are not covered under warranty.
Dealer-Recommended Maintenance
Your dealer may recommend more frequent maintenance intervals or more maintenance services than those listed in the scheduled maintenance log. These additional services are not required to maintain your warranty coverage. Ask your dealer to explain any recommended maintenance not included in the scheduledmaintenance log. For a complete description of Toyota warranty coverages, see the Warranty
Information portion of this booklet.

This is straight out of Toyota warranty booklet. They only ask for a reasonable log.