WATER IN MUFFLER… ˝ gallon of it! - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
NX Models (2015-present)

WATER IN MUFFLER… ˝ gallon of it!

Old 02-13-19, 07:49 PM
Lex2000TL
Pole Position

Default WATER IN MUFFLER… ˝ gallon of it!

If name of this post is not normal, just imagine my reaction when I was told that my NX had about ˝ of gallon of water in the muffler.

I dropped off NX, 2017 with 33K on odometer, and obviously under warranty, at dealer complaining about more than usual turbo lag and periodic engine shaking. Engine shaking was mostly when, on red light, I move foot from brake to accelerator/gas, and just before I press gas pedal. Also, it was more noticeable when engine is cold, but this not atypical.

As soon as I mention the problems with the car, service advisor said there must be water in exhaust/muffler. Apparently, they know something about this phenomenon. Obviously, much water in muffler will restrict exhaust flow, causing engine to run unevenly. But how in the world the water got in there?

Bottom line: Lexus replaced spark plugs (no charge) and drained the water from muffler, by partially disassembling exhaust. I asked dealer to submit to Lexus PPR (part-problem-report) and they promised to do so. I want to know how water gets in, except condensation, which should be burned out during normal drive, and what Lexus can do to prevent it from happening. Meantime, after service NX drives well without noticeable turbo lag. Shaking is also gone.

So, car gurus, can somebody, please shed a light on this very strange phenomenon? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Also, before some folks will ask: I drive long trips, no short distances.

I thought about drilling small hole in the lowest part of muffler, but will hold off it for now. This will make my car louder.

Lastly, mechanic suggested, to extend turbo life, to have 2 minutes of cooldown after each trip, to have turbo temperature to drop, to avoid oil cooking on the internals (which is quite known issue with turbos). Car manual specifies 1 minute after hard driving and none after normal.
Old 02-14-19, 12:55 PM
ukrkoz
Lexus Test Driver

It's condensation. Don't look for some outrageous explanation. H2O is NORMAL byproduct of cat breaking down exhaust.
Now that makes me wonder. So Lexus chose NOT to put a drain hole into muffle lowermost point? Maybe I should just drill one?
Old 02-14-19, 02:33 PM
skyshadow
Pole Position

1 kg of gasoline and 3.51 kg of oxygen produce 3.09 kg of carbon dioxide and 1.42 kg of water when burned. That is where your water is coming from. It staying in your muffler as a liquid instead of pushing out of your tail pipe as a gas is strange. That might be an local problem from high humidity or something. That definitely is not a Lexus wide concern.
Old 02-14-19, 02:39 PM
ukrkoz
Lexus Test Driver

Next time I have mine up on the lift, I'll just punch a hole...
Old 02-14-19, 03:07 PM
Lex2000TL
Pole Position

I asked them to drill the hole in the lowest part of muffler but mechanic declined, saying that this will make exhaust to loud vs "stock". Perhaps it all depends on hole position in specific muffler. Still looking for a solution.
Old 02-14-19, 04:21 PM
skyshadow
Pole Position

If it was something like a 1/2 inch hole, I could see you getting a spudder noise. But, I very small hole shouldn't make a sound change.
Old 02-15-19, 07:35 AM
bob67
Driver

Are you regularly driving short trips, like to the local grocery store and back? If so, the cold exhaust system is not maintaining the combusted water exhaust as a gas, but instead condensing the oxygen gas into water on the cold exhaust pipes.
Old 02-15-19, 09:24 AM
skyshadow
Pole Position

^very true
Old 02-15-19, 11:13 AM
ukrkoz
Lexus Test Driver

Just punch a hole. You saw pic I posted, right? Besides, some wrrrroooommm won't hurt this car anyway...
Old 02-15-19, 12:56 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bob67 View Post
Are you regularly driving short trips, like to the local grocery store and back? If so, the cold exhaust system is not maintaining the combusted water exhaust as a gas, but instead condensing the oxygen gas into water on the cold exhaust pipes.
In his first post he said: “Also, before some folks will ask: I drive long trips, no short distances.”
I doubt that short trips could account for 1/2 gallon of water, but long trips certainly wouldn’t.
Old 02-15-19, 04:13 PM
Lex2000TL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Just punch a hole. You saw pic I posted, right? Besides, some wrrrroooommm won't hurt this car anyway...
Actually, I am thinking to punch couple of holes, as our muffler has two pipes out (one on left and one on right sides). I just want to find muffler cross-section drawing/picture to make sure I punch holes after all buffers and just prior to pipes.
Who has a muffler cut off picture?
Old 02-15-19, 06:36 PM
ukrkoz
Lexus Test Driver

You have little choice. You must punch just like in pic or right below/behind the flange edge. It has to be at the very end of muffler. That will place it past all the baffles inside.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: