NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

WATER IN MUFFLER… ˝ gallon of it!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-19, 06:49 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts
Default WATER IN MUFFLER… ˝ gallon of it!

If name of this post is not normal, just imagine my reaction when I was told that my NX had about ˝ of gallon of water in the muffler.

I dropped off NX, 2017 with 33K on odometer, and obviously under warranty, at dealer complaining about more than usual turbo lag and periodic engine shaking. Engine shaking was mostly when, on red light, I move foot from brake to accelerator/gas, and just before I press gas pedal. Also, it was more noticeable when engine is cold, but this not atypical.

As soon as I mention the problems with the car, service advisor said there must be water in exhaust/muffler. Apparently, they know something about this phenomenon. Obviously, much water in muffler will restrict exhaust flow, causing engine to run unevenly. But how in the world the water got in there?

Bottom line: Lexus replaced spark plugs (no charge) and drained the water from muffler, by partially disassembling exhaust. I asked dealer to submit to Lexus PPR (part-problem-report) and they promised to do so. I want to know how water gets in, except condensation, which should be burned out during normal drive, and what Lexus can do to prevent it from happening. Meantime, after service NX drives well without noticeable turbo lag. Shaking is also gone.

So, car gurus, can somebody, please shed a light on this very strange phenomenon? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Also, before some folks will ask: I drive long trips, no short distances.

I thought about drilling small hole in the lowest part of muffler, but will hold off it for now. This will make my car louder.

Lastly, mechanic suggested, to extend turbo life, to have 2 minutes of cooldown after each trip, to have turbo temperature to drop, to avoid oil cooking on the internals (which is quite known issue with turbos). Car manual specifies 1 minute after hard driving and none after normal.
Old 02-14-19, 11:55 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

It's condensation. Don't look for some outrageous explanation. H2O is NORMAL byproduct of cat breaking down exhaust.
Now that makes me wonder. So Lexus chose NOT to put a drain hole into muffle lowermost point? Maybe I should just drill one?
The following users liked this post:
Uniblu (02-11-21)
Old 02-14-19, 01:33 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

1 kg of gasoline and 3.51 kg of oxygen produce 3.09 kg of carbon dioxide and 1.42 kg of water when burned. That is where your water is coming from. It staying in your muffler as a liquid instead of pushing out of your tail pipe as a gas is strange. That might be an local problem from high humidity or something. That definitely is not a Lexus wide concern.
Uniblu (02-11-21)
Old 02-14-19, 01:39 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Next time I have mine up on the lift, I'll just punch a hole...
Old 02-14-19, 02:07 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

I asked them to drill the hole in the lowest part of muffler but mechanic declined, saying that this will make exhaust to loud vs "stock". Perhaps it all depends on hole position in specific muffler. Still looking for a solution.
Uniblu (02-11-21)
Old 02-14-19, 03:21 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

If it was something like a 1/2 inch hole, I could see you getting a spudder noise. But, I very small hole shouldn't make a sound change.
Old 02-15-19, 06:35 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Are you regularly driving short trips, like to the local grocery store and back? If so, the cold exhaust system is not maintaining the combusted water exhaust as a gas, but instead condensing the oxygen gas into water on the cold exhaust pipes.
Old 02-15-19, 08:24 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

^very true
Old 02-15-19, 10:13 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Just punch a hole. You saw pic I posted, right? Besides, some wrrrroooommm won't hurt this car anyway...
Old 02-15-19, 11:56 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bob67
Are you regularly driving short trips, like to the local grocery store and back? If so, the cold exhaust system is not maintaining the combusted water exhaust as a gas, but instead condensing the oxygen gas into water on the cold exhaust pipes.
In his first post he said: “Also, before some folks will ask: I drive long trips, no short distances.”
I doubt that short trips could account for 1/2 gallon of water, but long trips certainly wouldn’t.
Uniblu (02-11-21)
Old 02-15-19, 03:13 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Just punch a hole. You saw pic I posted, right? Besides, some wrrrroooommm won't hurt this car anyway...
Actually, I am thinking to punch couple of holes, as our muffler has two pipes out (one on left and one on right sides). I just want to find muffler cross-section drawing/picture to make sure I punch holes after all buffers and just prior to pipes.
Who has a muffler cut off picture?
Uniblu (02-11-21)
Old 02-15-19, 05:36 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

You have little choice. You must punch just like in pic or right below/behind the flange edge. It has to be at the very end of muffler. That will place it past all the baffles inside.
Old 02-11-21, 07:51 AM
Uniblu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

“I thought about drilling small hole in the lowest part of muffler, but will hold off it for now. This will make my car louder.”

I worked as a tow truck driver and parts person for 15 years before becoming a nurse in 2012. Three years ago I downgraded to my first automatic but it’s a 2015 Lexus NX200t fsport so I think it was an even trade. I drive about 25k miles a year to work and bought my NX for the comfort and reliability in my travels.
In December I was home due to covid exposure and idled my car more then normal. The next day when I started my car it died and wouldn’t start it was 12°. My hubby and I got to work and determined my exhaust my be the culprit and it was. We struggled to get the exhaust off(two bolts two rubber mounts) and brought it in used a space heater to defrost. See pictures below.

When I brought it to the dealer for 90k 12-28-2020. I reported problem, I was told it happens sometimes in cold states like minnesota and that there is no current fix at this time. I reached out to Lexus because of their reputation of learning and improving their product and feel as if I was brushed off and need to wait until it happens again. So that the dealer can see it.
I contacted a past employer 50 yrs In industry and never hear of a exhaust freezing solid before. he recommended that I drill a small 1/16th in hole in the most rear part of the muffler on bottom to let the excess water out due to dependent flaw in exhaust. He said condensation in muffler increase the likelihood of the internal components of the muffle to rust prematurely. As far as noise he because of how far back in the system it is doesn’t think it will be noticeable.

I have not drilled the hole yet but I am afraid it will do it again, it’s -9° here in Minnesota and I am a Night shift Nurse that can’t stay home.

p.s. I am glad to know I am not the only one with issues of water in exhaust. Let me know it this helps you.

Minnesota 12° 12-15-2020

The space heater is not in the picture

Frozen solid because of a design flaw, muffler also frozen but not blocking like the pipe.

Water

Reference

Last edited by Uniblu; 02-11-21 at 08:02 AM.