Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HELP!!!! Stalled in high water, what to do next?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-07, 03:45 PM
BlakSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!! Stalled in high water, what to do next?

Flash flooding the other night, SC400 ended getting stalled by someone who borrowed the car.(never again). Towed it home(didnt try to restart after stall) pulled the plugs,intake,airbox and cranked over engien to get all water out, some shot out of one cylinder, cleaned cylinders out put plugs in, fired right back up and it seems to run fine.

What should i do next? If it was high enough to stall the engine would the water could have gotten in the transmission or oil tank?

I would assume i should change both of those fluids?

anything else i should do?
Old 07-24-07, 03:49 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh wow, that suuucks. If it started I think you're in pretty good shape, is the carpet all gross now?

I'd let it sit and idle for a while to make sure everything in the engine bay dried out.
Old 07-24-07, 03:52 PM
BlakSC
Driver School Candidate

carpet didnt get wet at all, water was "barely up to the doors" so no water in the car. I have let it idle for about an hour already and let all the water steam up and get out of the exhaust.

Are there any sensors i should change out?

What about the rear end?
Old 07-24-07, 03:54 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would change all fluids to be safe and also through some "dry gas" in the tank to burn off any water that might be with the fuel.

Dry gas is basically Ethanol that prevents that is "mixed" with fuel from freezing. Addidng it will allow any moisture to burn off during normal combustion.
Old 07-24-07, 03:55 PM
BlakSC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mkorsu
I would change all fluids to be safe and also through some "dry gas" in the tank to burn off any water that might be with the fuel.

Dry gas is basically Ethanol that prevents that is "mixed" with fuel from freezing. Addidng it will allow any moisture to burn off during normal combustion.
you mean something like "HEET" ?
Old 07-24-07, 04:29 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
What about "Heet"? I've always heard you can put it in cars that haven't moved in a while and it helps sap some of the moisture buildup in the gas tank.
Old 07-24-07, 05:02 PM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

if it hasn got any water inside it hasnt sat in water for long, it probably just gulped some water trough the intake box, if the water was 'barely up to the doors there is no way it would have gotten into fuel system or transmition, so just dry it out and change motor oil just to be safe, you'll be ok
Old 07-24-07, 07:23 PM
BlakSC
Driver School Candidate

Well i went ahead and drained the transmission and oil and changed them out. didnt appear that any water got into either.

Now is my problem. The car will not idle anymore. It continuously searches for a steady RPM between 1200-2000. This is evident when driving two. Would it be possible that my MAF sensor went out? I poured rubbing alcohol down it and let it dry out to try and clean it and no difference. The auto parts store will have to special order that or i can try to get it from the dealer tomoro if i want to try to replace that thing but what else could it be?
Old 07-24-07, 11:48 PM
vredniykot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BlakSC
Well i went ahead and drained the transmission and oil and changed them out. didnt appear that any water got into either.

Now is my problem. The car will not idle anymore. It continuously searches for a steady RPM between 1200-2000. This is evident when driving two. Would it be possible that my MAF sensor went out? I poured rubbing alcohol down it and let it dry out to try and clean it and no difference. The auto parts store will have to special order that or i can try to get it from the dealer tomoro if i want to try to replace that thing but what else could it be?
get a couple of cans of CRC electronics cleaner and take the MAF out and spray it in and out and make sure there is no water in spark plug wells - for starters, go from here, something just got water in it, i'm sure you'll find it
Old 07-25-07, 12:30 AM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vredniykot
get a couple of cans of CRC electronics cleaner and take the MAF out and spray it in and out and make sure there is no water in spark plug wells - for starters, go from here, something just got water in it, i'm sure you'll find it
i wouldnt recomend it, i sprayed my MAF with MAF cleaner and it cost me a new MAF, let it dry on its own.
Old 07-25-07, 06:59 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlakSC
you mean something like "HEET" ?
Originally Posted by Gunnar
What about "Heet"? I've always heard you can put it in cars that haven't moved in a while and it helps sap some of the moisture buildup in the gas tank.

Sure. HEET and iso-HEET would work.