NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

My custom order vs. one sitting in Los Angeles - advice needed quickly

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-19, 03:21 PM
NXNoob
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My custom order vs. one sitting in Los Angeles - advice needed quickly

So I placed a custom order for an NX a while back and have been patiently waiting for it's arrival likely in the next month or so.

Well today I get a call from my dealer saying that they have located an NX built almost exactly like I wanted sitting in Los Angeles and the only difference is that this one does not have the intuitive parking assist option. I know this is a factory installed option and not something the dealer can do. As far as I'm aware this option simply puts an outline of the vehicle on the center console display and if the sensor detects something, it will not only sound an audible alarm but also indicate which sensor on the diagram is detecting this.

Anyone here have this option? Do you find it helpful? How often would you say you actually rely on this option vs. simply it being there.....in other words, what percentage of the time in your vehicle would you say this option is actually needed by you?

I'm tempted to call them back and have them bring it in for me but I wanted to make sure and get some decent feedback first before making the decision.
Old 01-25-19, 03:26 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts

I have it and I like it. However, it all depends on price difference between two vehicles, so it is up to you to decide...
Old 01-25-19, 03:54 PM
iizbor3d
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

If you requested a custom order NX, i'm assuming it's fully loaded with all those features. If you don't need the car and can actually wait till your order arrives I would wait to not miss out on any features and regret it later. The parking assist definitely helps parking in the city, in NYC it's really helpful in avoiding dinging cars while parking in very tight spots. Overall I really like the feature.
Old 01-25-19, 05:37 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I have it and like it. It’s nice for parking in the garage. Does the vehicle in LA have the 360 camera? I don’t think you need parking assist if you have the 360 camera.
Old 01-25-19, 09:30 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 698 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by ross7777
I have it and like it. It’s nice for parking in the garage. Does the vehicle in LA have the 360 camera? I don’t think you need parking assist if you have the 360 camera.
Agreed. We like ours. Great for parking in a tight garage. After having experienced it, I would be very disappointed to give it up. I would wait for your special order.

Does anyone know if the rear cross traffic alert is a function of the parking assist or the blind spot monitor? That has been another one of those delightful surprises and if it is tied to the parking assist, then I would definitely want to wait for the car with that option.
Old 01-26-19, 07:51 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

For me, the parking assist is annoying, so I don't pay any attention to it. Here in rural Texas I don't need this, but maybe if I had to parallel park, or had the necessity of parking in tight congested parking areas, then it would be a great option to have.
Old 01-26-19, 08:01 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bob67
For me, the parking assist is annoying, so I don't pay any attention to it. Here in rural Texas I don't need this, but maybe if I had to parallel park, or had the necessity of parking in tight congested parking areas, then it would be a great option to have.
I think you can turn it off.
Old 01-26-19, 10:51 AM
brook41
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

How much is it worth to you,do you really need it. Did you pay full sticker to order? I myself would be tempted if the price was right.
Old 01-26-19, 01:16 PM
NXNoob
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for the quick feedback. I believe I'm going to go ahead and tell the dealer to bring it in. I had to think thoroughly about how often I would use this feature. I most commonly park at:

1. Garage at home
2. Garage at work
3. Everywhere else, usually way out in the parking lot away from everyone else.

I never parallel park anymore. So in all I just had to think through about what would be the most common use of this feature and where I would need it. After thinking it through I guess it wasn't as important as I originally thought. My current vehicle does not have it and I have no issues parking anywhere. Can't wait for it to get here.

Last edited by NXNoob; 01-26-19 at 02:42 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-26-19, 01:26 PM
brook41
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Good luck with your new car!
Old 01-26-19, 07:05 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 698 Likes on 511 Posts

Enjoy your new car.

I also just remembered a downside to the park assist. If you frequent drive-through restaurants or banks, the silly thing can start going off because it sees the neighboring wall or shrubbery. Some people find they have to shut it off at times. So it can be nice but it can be a nuisance.
Old 04-24-21, 08:52 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
Enjoy your new car.

I also just remembered a downside to the park assist. If you frequent drive-through restaurants or banks, the silly thing can start going off because it sees the neighboring wall or shrubbery. Some people find they have to shut it off at times. So it can be nice but it can be a nuisance.
THIS!!!! I have this feature on my ES350, HATE IT. Always goes off and I slam the brake, then realize, hell I have a few inches why the hell are you freaking out??? Have a class A CDL for years now, I know how to effing park lol

Last edited by Aron9000; 04-24-21 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-05-21, 09:29 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 755 Likes on 469 Posts
Arrow

I don't think it's a bad system I just think it's poorly implemented in our vehicles. The sound is the worst. Yes I know we can mute it, but it's such a blaring noise both in the NX and my RCF. It's very very obnoxious. I even turned the volume down slightly and it's still an annoying beep noise. I don't know why they couldn't have used a different tone that isn't as annoying.

I know when it goes off for my wife she sort of jumps and or get startled.. I feel like at times it actually causes more panic than a simple "alert/reminder". I'm NOT a bmw fan at all but I do like how they implemented their parking sensors. You see a type of radar graph which is way nicer than just blinking lights that show up on our center screen.

When I had the dash apart in my RCF I found the little blue speaker that makes the beeps and put a piece of tape over it to slightly muffle the noise. It's just too loud to me.

I like the cross traffic alert, that's nice for cars and people when backing out of a spot. That I love. But the park assist honestly I could honestly say I don't need it. If you are building the NX and it's custom then stick with it... probably has most options. Looking at what my wife bought from the lot she should have built the thing. She has every option minus the rear power reclining seats, and the pano/360 camera system. For the $1000 extra to get that it would have been 100% worth it. But yet no dealers around us had either of those two options on the NX for some reason.

-Nigel
Old 05-05-21, 11:50 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by NXNoob
Thanks everyone for the quick feedback. I believe I'm going to go ahead and tell the dealer to bring it in. I had to think thoroughly about how often I would use this feature. I most commonly park at:

1. Garage at home
2. Garage at work
3. Everywhere else, usually way out in the parking lot away from everyone else.

I never parallel park anymore. So in all I just had to think through about what would be the most common use of this feature and where I would need it. After thinking it through I guess it wasn't as important as I originally thought. My current vehicle does not have it and I have no issues parking anywhere. Can't wait for it to get here.
you live in Texas, there are not too many tight spots to get into. You dont need parking sensors to pull a small SUV like the NX into a space that is design for the Texas full size pick up trucks