NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-18, 04:05 PM
Mandy1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel

Hello, I wanted to see if anyone else has noticed something similar. My steering wheel is getting all of these marks but they are perfectly spaced and look identical. I don’t wear any rings or bracelets/watches.

The marks look like they were made from a serrated tracing wheels (which is used in sewing).

Old 12-01-18, 07:14 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Sorry, I don't see them perfectly spaced and identical. They are similar, that's for sure, but angulation and spacing varies. I work with leathers professionally, those look like outside scratches to me. Start with asking simple question. Who else drives the car or has access to it? Animals inside? Next, did they slowly but steadily started showing and got bigger, or they simply appeared one morning?
Old 12-01-18, 07:16 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Just to add. I have walking foot industrial sewing machine. I also had old style leather sewing machine with roller, instead of foot. I worked with patchers. I am well familiar with sewing machine marks.
Old 12-01-18, 08:36 AM
Mandy1
Driver School Candidate

No one else drives the car. No animals inside. They are now looking different since it’s been awhile since they started but in person they really spaced like that and if there isn’t a cut in the leather you can see a slight mark, more like an indention.

As for the sewing tool- the tool I speak of is for patterns. I attached it here b

Last edited by Mandy1; 12-01-18 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-01-18, 11:17 AM
highvoltag
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had the same issue with my CT200. The whole wheel in the car is that type of leather. I mostly did it getting in and out of the car or not paying attention to my wedding ring.

Being that all of those are on the bottom of the wheel, I would think that you are doing it getting in and out of the car. Something is catching the leather. Usually metal. For instance, I had one pair of jeans that had a button on the sides. It was the cause of most of my issues.

Don't worry too much. These wheels are self healing over time. If you just keep rubbing the spot with your hands, they will eventually go away.
Old 12-01-18, 11:23 AM
Mandy1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by highvoltag
I have had the same issue with my CT200. The whole wheel in the car is that type of leather. I mostly did it getting in and out of the car or not paying attention to my wedding ring.

Being that all of those are on the bottom of the wheel, I would think that you are doing it getting in and out of the car. Something is catching the leather. Usually metal. For instance, I had one pair of jeans that had a button on the sides. It was the cause of most of my issues.

Don't worry too much. These wheels are self healing over time. If you just keep rubbing the spot with your hands, they will eventually go away.
Thanks for the info. Yeah, it’s really weird. I don’t wear rings, I’m not married and allergic to different metals. It’s all over the steering wheel but definitely more on the bottom.

I guess I am just frustrated because I just have no idea what would even do that. I don’t wear jewelry. My pants wouldn’t make those kind of scratches. I have no idea how they got there. They are also smooth at first and over time they have actually gotten worse so that’s my only concern. There are so many too. Ugh!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-01-18, 03:39 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

The only thing I can think of, Mandy - btw, the little roller I am also very familiar with, we use it to reverse tracings - is SW heating elements. They got to be some sort of wire mesh. But what you see is the very outer leather dye layer being rubbed off in some pattern. Like as if flakes are pealing off.
Otherwise, it's outside scratch.
Old 12-01-18, 05:00 PM
Mandy1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
The only thing I can think of, Mandy - btw, the little roller I am also very familiar with, we use it to reverse tracings - is SW heating elements. They got to be some sort of wire mesh. But what you see is the very outer leather dye layer being rubbed off in some pattern. Like as if flakes are pealing off.
Otherwise, it's outside scratch.
Thanks.

I’ve never had the leather do this on a steering wheel. So that’s why I’m wondering if this is some sort of defect to the leather.

My dealership said it’s from a ring. I explained I don’t wear rings or any jewelry.

I’m just frustrated.
Old 12-01-18, 05:37 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Welcome to the forum and sorry to see those scratches. I've had scratches on the steering wheel on some past Lexus models, and all were traced to external sources, mainly from mine or my wife's ring. Since you don't wear that, is it possible you may have placed a purse on your lap or from a coat/zipper that may have rubbed a few times?

To minimize the scratches, with a microfiber cloth, continuously rub lightly the scratched area with some leather conditioner and moderate heat from a hair dryer for a minute or so. Repeat a few times and it should smooth out those scratches to be less visible.

Good luck.
Old 12-01-18, 06:32 PM
Mandy1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Welcome to the forum and sorry to see those scratches. I've had scratches on the steering wheel on some past Lexus models, and all were traced to external sources, mainly from mine or my wife's ring. Since you don't wear that, is it possible you may have placed a purse on your lap or from a coat/zipper that may have rubbed a few times?

To minimize the scratches, with a microfiber cloth, continuously rub lightly the scratched area with some leather conditioner and moderate heat from a hair dryer for a minute or so. Repeat a few times and it should smooth out those scratches to be less visible.

Good luck.
Thanks, I will try that.

Yeah, I've been trying to think of what could have done it and I am coming up without any answers. My purse has a magnetic closure and it is leather as well. Previous purse the zipper wasn't exposed. My coat snaps over the zipper.

I guess something is causing it but it's perplexing. Also, in all my years of driving I've never scratched a steering wheel and now the entire thing all over is scratched. Strange. 🤷🏼*♀️
Old 12-02-18, 10:10 PM
jelco
Driver School Candidate

I haven't noticed any scratches not the wheel. Are you the original owner? If not, is it possible they where there prior and are now becoming more visible? Could it be from cleaning the wheel? ie: using a towel/cloth to wipe down, but maybe has debris on it and scratches the wheel?