IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Steering Wheel Pealing / Cracking

Old 11-15-17, 12:14 AM
alexkidd
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Pealing / Cracking

This is bumming me out. I don't think my steering wheel should be cracking like this. Just wondering if it has happened to anyone else. Thanks.
Old 11-15-17, 01:20 AM
wforty94
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that is from abrasion, like all the other defects in your steering wheel. likely from the rivets of your jeans as you're getting in and out
Old 11-15-17, 06:25 AM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Also if you're wearing a ring, this could happen while you're letting the steering wheel straighten after a tight turn.
Old 11-15-17, 06:54 AM
CurntlyPsd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mines doing the exact same thing, in the exact same location. I noticed its from keeping a pen in my pocket the outside of the pen that clips on the pocket is rubbing causing the abrasion.
Old 11-15-17, 10:35 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

That is from you getting out and your jeans or belt or whatever you have on you that is catching it when you get in and out of the vehicle.
Old 11-15-17, 07:09 PM
alexkidd
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is not from my Jeans and I don't have rings. Nothing is rubbing on the wheel besides my hands. I have never had this issue with any other car. Look at the photos you can see it is cracking from the inside.
Old 11-15-17, 08:18 PM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you use chemicals in cleaning?
Old 11-15-17, 08:31 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

This is damage. Mostly from buttons, zippers, jeans, belts.

I had the same "tears" in the same spot as yours. But I've since switched out the steering wheel for a flat bottom; this help gave me a little bit more clearance when getting in and out of the car.
Old 11-15-17, 11:05 PM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You could just enable the comfort access from the "Vehicle setup" menu. When you turn off the ignition or unbuckle your seatbelt, the steering wheel will move up and the driver's seat will move back. And you can get out of the car without rubbing against the steering wheel or the side of the seat.
My bad, if it's not a feature available on the US models.
Old 11-15-17, 11:05 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by alexkidd
It is not from my Jeans and I don't have rings. Nothing is rubbing on the wheel besides my hands. I have never had this issue with any other car. Look at the photos you can see it is cracking from the inside.
its not "cracking" from the inside, its pretty clear that its something catching on to it when you're getting in or out of the vehicle or somethings scratching it. Nothings wrong or faulty, it's been damaged.
Old 11-15-17, 11:44 PM
Tamy913
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you had the vehicle for a while? When did you first notice it? Is it isolated to just the bottom of the wheel?
It does seem like what the others have said wherein it might have been from a belt buckle or zipper. If you don't wear any rings, might it have gotten caught in your watch?
anyone borrow your car or did you notice it after having it serviced?
Old 11-15-17, 11:46 PM
Tamy913
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
This is damage. Mostly from buttons, zippers, jeans, belts.

I had the same "tears" in the same spot as yours. But I've since switched out the steering wheel for a flat bottom; this help gave me a little bit more clearance when getting in and out of the car.
I just switched to a flat bottom and it does offer better clearance. Just a bit different when turning the wheel though
Old 11-16-17, 03:35 PM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

I WISH we could have gotten the easy access feature in our F-sport's it's such a shame. I have the same damage on my wheel. Same spot. Im careful getting in and out but you can never be careful 100% of the time.

If only that damn steering wheel would move away from me a bit I'd have plenty of room to get out. I think 2018 will be the year you can finely merge F-sport and luxury items.
Old 11-16-17, 03:51 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,485 Likes on 1,796 Posts

Originally Posted by Ciggy
I WISH we could have gotten the easy access feature in our F-sport's it's such a shame. I have the same damage on my wheel. Same spot. Im careful getting in and out but you can never be careful 100% of the time.

If only that damn steering wheel would move away from me a bit I'd have plenty of room to get out. I think 2018 will be the year you can finely merge F-sport and luxury items.
Best thing I can recommend is have the seat as low as you can without sacrificing visibility, and have the steering wheel close enough that you can rest your hands on top of it without fully extending your arms, but not too low for you to get in. I have long legs, and I have not had any issues like this yet. Smooth as a baby's bottom would be my steering wheel leather.
Old 11-16-17, 03:52 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Ciggy

Actually, the 350 F Sport RWD with VGRS has power tilt/telescopic steering wheel. It is definitely a nice feature to have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Pealing / Cracking