NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Purchase '15 NX200T off lease? Or lease new?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-18, 09:46 AM
TP88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase '15 NX200T off lease? Or lease new?

Hello all, I have a 2015 Lexus NX, that I love, that is about 2 months away from end of lease. Normally I would purchase my vehicle off lease and either keep it or sell for the equity. End of lease buyout is $28,500. It was about $51k new loaded with every thing I could get on it. KBB lists around $30k using my VIN and bank approved the purchase. Where I am torn is that I am not certain of the long term reliability of the 2.0L turbocharged engine, especially on a first year model. If it was the std V6, or even a std 4, I would have bought without looking back. But, this one may be tricky. I will use the vehicle as both a company and personal vehicle, I have about 46,000 miles right now and will likely be putting about 14k-15k per year on it moving forward. Any thoughts? I considered buying an extended warranty through Lexus, but it was $2,500...because of the turbo, I assume.

As a side note, I purchased my 2010 Acura MDX Advance off lease back in 2014 and it has been a great vehicle, about 100k miles. At the time, I also purchased an extended 5 yr 120k mile warranty through Acura (I believe $1,500). Moving forward, I had my oil change at an Acura dealer a couple weeks ago only to find out that I needed about $4k worth of repairs (not vital, but needed to be addressed - Steering, Struts, etc.). I must have been living right that day because I just happened to get my oil change 1 day before my ext warranty expired....1 day. Normally I would use a local Honda dealer for basic service, but this time I was 3 hrs away in Indy visiting family and decided to go to Acura. They fixed it all, zero out of pocket, zero deductible and gave me a shiny new RDX to drive back home for a few days. So, I have a warm place in my heart for extended warranties. Anyway, I digress, I just wanted to provide a little feedback on my experience with extended warranties.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-29-18, 04:22 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 226 Likes on 203 Posts

I'd move on to a non turbo V6 something.
Here's few reasons.
Unless you speak Russian, Russia is adamant that turbos do not run past 60 000 km mark. Which you are already on it. Yes, I get it, it runs but... they have been around European 4cyl turboed engines for years before they hit American market. I am only passing the word but, personally, I have no intentions to keep mine past warranty period.
Next. Mine is week two at dealer, who ran out of ideas what is wrong with it and is waiting on Lexus engineer to show up and diagnose. Mine is 2015 year. yes, infamous never buy the first year. Yet, as the result, I am in ES350 loaner with a totally sweet V6. That engine is so nice, I am drooling over its dynamics. So here's that.
Also, As I said - mine has issue, reproduced by dealer, that dealer can't diagnose - and this does not make much grace to the car.
So here I am. As I said, warranty end comes close - farewell.
The following users liked this post:
TP88 (08-30-18)
Old 08-29-18, 04:54 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

This will be a good read for you:
http://totalcarmagazine.com/tech/201...car_live_long/

Notice line

However, real life is altogether different. Turbochargers usually fail relatively early and their failure is almost exclusively due to an operating fault.

Then again, Ford gives his Ecoboost turbo 10 yrs lifespan.
Old 08-30-18, 06:52 AM
TP88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
This will be a good read for you:
http://totalcarmagazine.com/tech/201...car_live_long/

Notice line

However, real life is altogether different. Turbochargers usually fail relatively early and their failure is almost exclusively due to an operating fault.

Then again, Ford gives his Ecoboost turbo 10 yrs lifespan.
Awesome article, thank you.
Old 08-30-18, 06:01 PM
ML350BT
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TP88
Awesome article, thank you.
Originally Posted by ukrkoz
I'd move on to a non turbo V6 something.
Here's few reasons.
Unless you speak Russian, Russia is adamant that turbos do not run past 60 000 km mark. Which you are already on it. Yes, I get it, it runs but... they have been around European 4cyl turboed engines for years before they hit American market. I am only passing the word but, personally, I have no intentions to keep mine past warranty period.
Next. Mine is week two at dealer, who ran out of ideas what is wrong with it and is waiting on Lexus engineer to show up and diagnose. Mine is 2015 year. yes, infamous never buy the first year. Yet, as the result, I am in ES350 loaner with a totally sweet V6. That engine is so nice, I am drooling over its dynamics. So here's that.
Also, As I said - mine has issue, reproduced by dealer, that dealer can't diagnose - and this does not make much grace to the car.
So here I am. As I said, warranty end comes close - farewell.
I do speak russian
Please note: Oils and gasoline in post USSR most of the time fakes or half fake to increase profits. Well know brands fighting with custom shops who buys cheap oil prints labels and it good to go.

So my point, as you can read in the article lubrication and oil quality is very important.
I would add air quality, at least for my engine.
Im driving ML diesel. So far 82K miles and
all looks good.

Speaking of turbos, Lexus tried it many years ago and than stoped, European brands making them for years in every single car and getting
230HP out of 2.0L easy, MB and Audi many pass 150K marks on one turbo. There are other issues but turbo is still spinning.

BTW: let you car idle for a few second before you go and before you stop is a very good practice even for non turbo engines.

Happy Driving!!!
TP88 (09-01-18)
Old 08-31-18, 12:34 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

FYI, TP88

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...d-quality.html
TP88 (09-01-18)
Old 09-24-18, 10:05 AM
TP88
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback, at almost 48,000 miles, my NX has operated flawlessly. But, over the past thousand miles or so, a couple things are popping up that are of some concern given that I was contemplating buying off lease. First, when I start the car, within 10-15 seconds or so, I hear a whistle. I am not sure if it is the AC, or something else. I was able to get a video of it happening so I will see what the dealer says. Also, on occasion, when I make a hard right turn, the seat belt light goes off and beeps like someone removed their seat belt, even though no on else is in the car and nothing is on passenger seat. While these are minor things for sure, I am thinking they may be a sign of things to come, especially given that it is the first model year for the NX.

As for possible replacements. I am strongly considering a Highlander Platinum, although the styling is pretty vanilla compared to the NX, I always liked the NX look and the Atomic Silver color especially with black wheels. I am not a fan of the RX, not because of the vehicle itself, just because they lease poorly in our market right now. While a very different vehicle, Tundra's are discounted heavily right now and I always liked them, so that may even be a potential replacement. Thanks again for the input.
Old 09-25-18, 01:39 PM
dacommitte
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 56K on my 2015 and have had zero problems. Oil changes every 10K and tire rotations but nothing else.
Old 09-26-18, 05:00 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

If you have the mindset that a vehicle is a monthly operating cost (and not an investment) as I do, go with a new lease and enjoy the new refresh and enhancements of the NX (larger 10.3in screen and interior details), AVS, 360 cam availability, etc.

If you want a car as "an investment" to keep as long as you like, I'd buyout the NX so long as you maintained it and waited several seconds for the the turbo to cool down (it's in the manual if you missed this) every time you shut down the car. If you didn't, I'd give it back as you may have compromised the longevity of the turbo especially in repeated aggressive or highway driving.

Highlander is a nice vehicle and if space is what you need, can't go wrong with that. However, Toyota (and Lexus) FWD platform vehicles are typically on a 6-year model cycle which puts the 2019 Highlander on its last year before a full redesign for 2020 model year.

Happy shopping!