NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Front bumper and grille scratched

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-18, 10:14 PM
Solid
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front bumper and grille scratched

I got hited on the freeway with a metal thing that hit my nx and damaged my front bumper and grille any recommendations what to do?
is it worth it to call insurance for this?
Old 07-15-18, 06:43 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Nothing. It's barely noticeable to others. Unless you point it out. Do best simply forget about this, until you sell the car, then have it fixed.
Call insurance? What is your deductible?
Thing is, the very moment you fix something like this, something else will happen. I say, just do as in line one.
Old 07-15-18, 06:44 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Oh, and plastics are VERY tricky to repair. So if you were to intend DIY this - I highly do not recommend. Chance of making it look much worse is rather high.
Old 07-15-18, 02:50 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Heck yeah, I'm getting it fixed!

Whether or not I talked to my insurance company would just depend on the overall cost.

Couldn't stand knowing my F-Sport was dinged...regardless of what others noticed or thought.
Old 07-16-18, 06:32 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

There was a time when I thought it was a good idea to fix every little thing on the car, but now as I have gotten smarter I know that little imperfections are not economical to fix, and there will be plenty more of them as you use the car. Only way to have a perfect car is to not use it, i think the bug guts camouflage the very very minor damage quite well
Old 07-16-18, 07:51 AM
Eduskator
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on your deductible. Plus, keep in mind that insurance claim = shown on carfax report.

I'd say 1) Don't bother since it's not a big deal or 2) Bring it to a bodyshop and pay for the repairs. You could simply repair what's the most apparent.
Old 07-16-18, 11:35 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Get a couple of estimates to see how much money the repair will cost. Then compare that with your deductible, it will help your decision to involve insurance or not easier. Estimates are usually free.
Old 07-16-18, 08:06 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,011 Likes on 691 Posts

There are multiple things that have been posted in this thread that are, at best, questionable.

First, if your vehicle has been damaged by an object that was thrown off of or fell off of a truck or other vehicle, that should be taken care of by the comprehensive coverage of your insurance policy, and comprehensive claims with most insurance companies do not count as chargeable accidents and should not affect insurance rates. The OP should check with his/her insurance agent to confirm that, with his/her policy, comprehensive claims are not chargeable.

Also, while the terms of many comprehensive policies do have a deductible, many policies do not have a deductible for comprehensive coverage. Again, the OP should check his/her policy to determine whether there is or is not a deductible.

Finally, body shop repairs will only appear on a CarFax report if they are entered into the CarFax data base after being reported by a law enforcement agency, body shop, or insurance company, and the majority of body work never does get reported. I've seen vehicles with $10,000+ worth of body work that end up with clean CarFax reports because those repairs were never reported. And, for minor body work, like the repairs that the OP is considering, it is especially unlikely that they would ever end up on a CarFax report.
Old 07-17-18, 05:20 AM
Eduskator
Pole Position

Guess it's different where I live... As soon as you claim insurance, it goes on the vehicle's history report. One does not go without the other. That's the whole point of carfax/carproof, right? Otherwise it would be useless. Sad to see that there are some integrity issues with this system.

In this example, the bodyshop would not be the one reporting it - the insurance company would be.
Old 07-17-18, 05:42 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Eduskator
Guess it's different where I live... As soon as you claim insurance, it goes on the vehicle's history report. One does not go without the other.
In the US, some states have laws requiring accidents to be reported only if the total damage exceeds some set dollar amount, such as $5000. Even then, many accidents don't get reported.

That's the whole point of carfax/carproof, right? Otherwise it would be useless. Sad to see that there are some integrity issues with this system.
The value of a CarFax report is highly overrated. Car dealers would like to have you believe that a clean CarFax report means that a car has never had any body work done on it, but that is simply not true. The reality is that it only means that no accidents were reported.

I've seen CPO vehicles that were on Lexus lots and that had clean CarFax Reports, but a more careful inspection of those cars showed that they had had significant repairs and/or replacement to sheet metal. I also recall a Tacoma pickup that I once owned. After skidding off of an icy road and rolling the vehicle, virtually every body panel was either repaired or replaced. Yet, when I sold that vehicle, it still had a clean CarFax report.

Periodically, there have been threads posted here on the CL boards by people who bought a CPO vehicle with a clean CarFax report and who, at some point later, discovered that the vehicle had had poorly done body work done on it, and that poorly done work was causing some sort of problem.

Last edited by lesz; 07-17-18 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-17-18, 06:41 AM
Eduskator
Pole Position

I totally agree with you on that and I understand the part where the repairs don't end up on the carfax report because owners are paying the bodyshops out of their pockets instead of going through their insurance.

I just find that insurance claims who does not end up on a carfax report, no matter what the $ is, are wrong and it defeats the purpose. For the OP's damages, I don't see the need of going through his insurnace company to repair what it seems to be very little superficial damages.
Old 07-17-18, 06:50 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

I totally agree with you on that and I understand the part where the repairs don't end up on the carfax report because owners are paying the bodyshops out of their pockets instead of going through their insurance.
That is not the case. I know of numerous instances, including the one that I explained about with the Tacoma pick-up, where the insurance company paid for the repairs, but the accident still did not end up on the CarFax report.

I just find that insurance claims who does not end up on a carfax report, no matter what the $ is, are wrong and it defeats the purpose.
That is because CarFax has become little more than a marketing gimmick used by dealers to help them sell used cars. The CarFax report gives potential buyers a false sense of confidence that they would be buying a car that had never been in an accident, but the reality is that that may or may not be the case.