NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Side Viewing Mirror Shaking/Vibrate

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-19, 08:49 AM
paulleeRN
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same issue with my 2019 Fsport NX300.

it is annoying AF and I feel like im having a seizure everytime I drive in the highway. I just got my car a week ago. really frustrating!

I emailed my agent from the dealership to ask anybody from the service/mechanics if this is a known issue with other nx300 they have. i hope they have answers though. but based on the replies here, no doubt it is really a known issue. i hope lexus' attention will be triggered!
Old 05-02-19, 09:35 AM
zkl2003
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by paulleeRN
same issue with my 2019 Fsport NX300.

it is annoying AF and I feel like im having a seizure everytime I drive in the highway. I just got my car a week ago. really frustrating!

I emailed my agent from the dealership to ask anybody from the service/mechanics if this is a known issue with other nx300 they have. i hope they have answers though. but based on the replies here, no doubt it is really a known issue. i hope lexus' attention will be triggered!
I know EXACTLY what you mean! I got my NX300 F Sport last year and after 2 weeks, I realized that issue. I am just so sad cause a brand new car has this issue. But dealership took the mirror apart and just can' find any issue. It is almost a year and I just live with it. I am more used to it now. I think the more you don't look at it, the easier to not pay attention at it. Cause I can see why dealership can't fix, since I am touching it by my hand, it is super tight and really not shaking at all. Hope this helps
Old 05-02-19, 09:47 AM
paulleeRN
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zkl2003
I know EXACTLY what you mean! I got my NX300 F Sport last year and after 2 weeks, I realized that issue. I am just so sad cause a brand new car has this issue. But dealership took the mirror apart and just can' find any issue. It is almost a year and I just live with it. I am more used to it now. I think the more you don't look at it, the easier to not pay attention at it. Cause I can see why dealership can't fix, since I am touching it by my hand, it is super tight and really not shaking at all. Hope this helps
thanks! just want to make sure that issues that i observe are common to ease my disappointments. don't get me wrong, the nx is a beautiful car and i do really love it. but i traded my Tucson for my Nx, and tbh, my Hyundai Tucson has "more". hopefully i can adapt sooner with the shaking.
The following users liked this post:
zkl2003 (08-06-19)
Old 06-17-19, 02:48 PM
PARANOiA2M
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2019 Lexus NX 300 here, same exact issue as others have stated—it’s the driver’s side mirror only, SUPER frustrating. Brought it back to the dealer twice now, they have confirmed it’s an issue twice.

My service advisor told me they could replace the side mirror but that’s it’s a “known defect” and it would just continue to happen. Told me to wait a few days after taking it home, then email her that the issue is still occurring, and that would be sufficient for them to get a Lexus engineer involved.

I emailed her a week ago and she never replied. Called and she won’t return my calls. This is an absolute disgrace for Lexus, an automaker selling luxury vehicles, that they can’t get a damn mirror to function normally. Drove my Mercedes over the weekend and the mirror barely flinched even when going over bumps.

Disappointed to say the LEAST. This issue is super distracting on the highway and occurs to a lesser degree on local roads. Absolutely ridiculous to be dealing with this on a LEXUS.

Last edited by PARANOiA2M; 06-17-19 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-02-19, 05:22 PM
ir94
Driver School Candidate

I have the same exact issue with my 2019 NX300, which I brought two weeks ago. Both side mirrors shake when driving. Brought it to the dealership and after 4 hours there, I was told that ALL the NX models have this issue so it’s considered a “characteristic” so it can’t be fixed. The service director had the audacity to suggest changing the model if I don’t like the current one when I JUST brought it.
Old 08-02-19, 10:44 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ir94
II was told that ALL the NX models have this issue so it’s considered a “characteristic” so it can’t be fixed. .
Admittedly, my F-Sport is a 2017, but I've never had an issue with mirror vibration or shaking.

I will say though, the mirrors don't appear very solid, and based upon this thread, I'm surprised they've never given me a problem...
Old 08-03-19, 10:24 AM
16fsport2
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same exact issue with my 2019 NX300, which I brought two weeks ago. Both side mirrors shake when driving. Brought it to the dealership and after 4 hours there, I was told that ALL the NX models have this issue so it’s considered a “characteristic” so it can’t be fixed. The service director had the audacity to suggest changing the model if I don’t like the current one when I JUST brought it.
I hope it is not a "characteristic" defect of ALL NX models? Mine is a 2016 F-Sport bought off-lease with about 35K miles. I never found anything wrong with those side mirrors. I did push them in sometimes when needed, and I feel the plastic box, not metal, but they are just fine! Touch wood!

If yours is still very new, try a different Lexus dealer(s) for warranty complaint; some may be more flexible, reads: less **** than others! (I'd bluntly tell flexible dealers to do future services with them, stay away from your original dealer)

Last edited by 16fsport2; 08-03-19 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-05-19, 04:02 AM
PARANOiA2M
Driver School Candidate

I was essentially told the same thing, that the NX is prone to mirror and tire vibration if the rims/tires are not within a certain spec to match that specific vehicle?

My mirror vibration issue is two-fold since my car also vibrates at highway speeds, no doubt making the mirror worse. My car has currently been with Lexus for almost 3 weeks. So far I’m being told that they have been swapping multiple combinations of rims and tires from other NX’s on the lot looking to see what will hopefully resolve the vibration.

This is pretty terrible. Lexus has to know this is occurring on their NX line (admittedly I don’t know how many people have this problem or maybe just deal with it). I’m so turned off from purchasing a Lexus after this one.. vibration issues on a brand new car aren’t something any of us should have to be dealing with.
Old 08-05-19, 04:41 AM
16fsport2
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by PARANOiA2M
I was essentially told the same thing, that the NX is prone to mirror and tire vibration if the rims/tires are not within a certain spec to match that specific vehicle?

My mirror vibration issue is two-fold since my car also vibrates at highway speeds, no doubt making the mirror worse. My car has currently been with Lexus for almost 3 weeks. So far I’m being told that they have been swapping multiple combinations of rims and tires from other NX’s on the lot looking to see what will hopefully resolve the vibration.

This is pretty terrible. Lexus has to know this is occurring on their NX line (admittedly I don’t know how many people have this problem or maybe just deal with it). I’m so turned off from purchasing a Lexus after this one.. vibration issues on a brand new car aren’t something any of us should have to be dealing with.
Thanks for your feedback!

Since this problem has been around for awhile without a clear solution, see this post attached, and although my humble 2016 NX is not affected, the thought that crosses my mind is why not, all affected drivers unite to launch a class action lawsuit against Lexus?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...vibrate-2.html

IMO, this is also a safety issue, especially when new cars/SUVs promote the feature of Blindspot Monitoring System. What good is it when the side mirror does not function well?

Perhaps this kind of action will help resolve/settle this problem?
Old 08-05-19, 05:01 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Same problem here, i hope lexus can fix this but i wouldnt count on it. The germans are much better than the japanese when it comes to fixing design issues on existing models.
Old 08-05-19, 05:50 AM
16fsport2
Pit Crew

For every design flaw/problem there always be a solution, if there is a will to fix it. However, this would imply $$, and the cost as floated around in those posts, if true, is about $1500 which Lexus (via the dealer) will not pick up the tab, nor that they admit a design problem. This issue and the other reported issue of alignment on certain NX (model years?) give me a bad first impression of Lexus as a whole. This NX is my first and probably the last, as I may want to consider Koreans cars/SUVs in my next purchase. My observation is that the "underdog" tend to provide much better customer service when it comes to problem like this. They don't jerk you around, intimidate/bully (why don't you switch to another (Lexus) model -as reported in a post) their customers with these kinds of issues.
Old 08-05-19, 10:22 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 16fsport2
For every design flaw/problem there always be a solution, if there is a will to fix it. However, this would imply $$, and the cost as floated around in those posts, if true, is about $1500 which Lexus (via the dealer) will not pick up the tab, nor that they admit a design problem. This issue and the other reported issue of alignment on certain NX (model years?) give me a bad first impression of Lexus as a whole. This NX is my first and probably the last, as I may want to consider Koreans cars/SUVs in my next purchase. My observation is that the "underdog" tend to provide much better customer service when it comes to problem like this. They don't jerk you around, intimidate/bully (why don't you switch to another (Lexus) model -as reported in a post) their customers with these kinds of issues.
If you are looking for a perfect car, you will never find it. Its just the way the Japanese do business. I think the american car companies would have done the same. The high end german car companies generally are pretty good about fixing minor design flaws. There is build in budget for that from the price of the car. I dont need to say anything about the koreans, they are still learning the luxury car market.
Old 08-05-19, 12:00 PM
16fsport2
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by The G Man
If you are looking for a perfect car, you will never find it. Its just the way the Japanese do business. I think the american car companies would have done the same. The high end german car companies generally are pretty good about fixing minor design flaws. There is build in budget for that from the price of the car. I dont need to say anything about the koreans, they are still learning the luxury car market.
I am not looking for a perfect car, more of a good after-sale customer service. That said, I am really surprised to hear stories like "shaking/vibrate side mirror" which claimed by dealers as "characteristic defects" of NX, "tend to move to the right" alignment problems etc. All cars have problems, so the differences are in how the manufacturers and their dealers "deal" with the problems. The impression I got from Lexus and from this forum (which may not be true) is that there are no admission of guilt, intimidation or bully tactics toward owners, and the repair cost, big or small tend to be passed to the owners, who may have "higher" expectation than it should be from such, or so-called luxury cars!

As for American cars, I can tell from my own experience 25 years ago (1994) when I got a new Eagle Vision (a LH Chrysler cars). The Service Manager I dealt with, I have to say he bent over backward to accommodate my complaints, even if they were not safety recalls, just TSBs. With the advent of the internet, forums and TSBs can be found online, I learned about certain quirks of this LH at certain mileages, e.g. clicking noise over bumps. So I brought a hard copy of this TSB to see a Service Advisor, who looked into it and because mine was within the 3 year bumper-to-bumper warranty, they replaced the Stabilizer links without charge (again, this was not a Safety recall). Since the Service Advisor was very amicable, I asked him something like "it should not cost you anything to do this, as Chrysler will repay you, right"? He told me "not true". "Often the allowable time, say 2.5 hrs is by the book, which assumes my guys do this job a hundred time so that they are efficient at it. In reality it will take them more hours to fix, so it is a loss to us"! When I got my 06 Camrys, I found the Toyota Service Advisor very cold, or it was just that dealer? Thus, I got the impression Toyota service mentality is "we are the best, we make no mistake, you pay" or something like that!!

As for high-end luxury German cars, I like to hear specific issues and how they resolve them with the owners, e.g. some objective evidence of their better customer service, as opposed to just an opinion. I've never owned a German cars, but was dissuaded from a colleague that her Bimmer X1 should be known as Break My Wallet with on-going high maintenance cost, like a couple thousands every year or other years, e.g. just on brakes; my neighbor Mercedes C300 (2016) got a sensor something in the charging system replaced for $300 not covered by the extended warranty, and he himself a mechanic ...etc.
Old 08-08-19, 11:13 AM
n0v8or
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

My NX, with less than 2000 miles, has the identical mirror shake problem, but I only notice it at speeds above 60 MPH. If you head over the 2019 RAV4 forum on ToyotaNation, there are several threads on this same topic. I also found some similar complaints on other vehicle forums as well. What appears to be common to all the vehicles with "mirror shake" is that the mirrors are mounted to the door sheet metal instead of the more-rigid window frame.

New RAV4 owners are evidently receiving the same dealer-BS story about "known characteristic of the vehicle".

To test the theory that body panel mounting is less rigid, I used a dial gauge mounted on a tripod to measure how much the outer edge of the mirror moves when I place a 1-pound "beanbag" weight on the top. I compared the result to our 2005 Avalon, which has a window frame mounted mirror. The NX mirror movement with 1 pound of force was more than 4 times greater then the Avalon. It is not the folding-function pivot joint, because the entire mirror moves.

One of the RAV4 posters reported he/she was able to eliminate the shake by adding fender washers under the mounting bolts (inside the door) and/or tightening the fasteners. I may try this approach when I remove the door panel to add some lighting features the Lexus folks omitted.
Old 08-08-19, 02:13 PM
gulshan
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This thread is hilarious ! This NX is my first lexus. 2016 model. Don't have this mirror shake issue but if I get it I will find some solution and fix it. (there is will so there will be a way :-) Hilarious because the NX like other Lexus's is rock solid and dependable and will easily last a decade and 100k miles without any major issues. Even Honda has extended the warranty on their crvs civics for turbo engine issues recently. There is no alternative to the NX (The cx-5 comes close but is still not classic luxury material). Another poster above wants to ditch Lexus and go to korean brands that have engine catching fire issues. He will get a 10 year korean warranty but at the end of the day wonder how he will feel when when a Lexus pulls up next to his cheap hard plasticky korean car.. Another poster wants a class action lawsuit ! I have owned many german sports cars and love them inspite of all the major maintenance issues they had..

Quick Reply: Side Viewing Mirror Shaking/Vibrate