NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Got the JDM factory illuminated cup holder inserts! (pics)

Old 03-17-18, 01:10 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 749 Likes on 466 Posts
Arrow Got the JDM factory illuminated cup holder inserts! (pics) *Now installed*

Took about 6 weeks to get the but they are the OEM Lexus NX cup holder inserts that illuminate. I've taken lots of pictures. The pictures floating around here are only in the bag and installed. Nothing else. So I hope these help.

Only problem is the directions are in Japanese. Does anyone here or know someone that could help translate the last couple pictures of the manual?
EDIT: See attached pictures of translated pictures/manual. Does not state which wires to tap. Not very helpful.

I have no issues taking apart the entire dash/console as I've seen videos. Just want to make sure what wires they are having indicating that need to be tapped in the directions...etc.

Can someone translate?

Can someone translate?

Can someone translate?

Thanks,
-Nigel

Last edited by nigel821; 08-12-18 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-17-18, 02:02 PM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

Test illumination with power supple.
Very subtle. Seems brighter in the pictures than what they are but it's also during the day.

EDIT: Here are the 3 pages translated. Not helpful at all in terms of which wires to tap. It's only two... so 12v and ground. I am guessing from the short wiring harness it has to be somewhere in the center console that I am tapping that gets illuminated when the lights turn on. I will further investigate once I have the vehicle apart but it probably won't be for a week or two. I'll post updated pictures once installed.

-Nigel

Last edited by nigel821; 03-17-18 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-17-18, 05:55 PM
toyoman29
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks great...
Old 03-19-18, 06:38 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Love to see it at night installed.
Old 03-19-18, 08:05 AM
Superman60
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice look.
Old 03-19-18, 09:35 AM
winglesss
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, looks great.
Old 03-19-18, 01:32 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Damn, those are very clean.
Would you happen to have part numbers?
Old 03-20-18, 04:43 AM
nigel821
Racer

There are no Toyota/Lexus part numbers on this other than the random numbers which don't appear to mean anything. I've tried googling them before and nothing pops up.
If you knew someone from Japan they could more than likely get you a part number from the dealer there I'm sure. I think most vendors do NOT post the part number so you have to go through them to get it, which is lame. I'm sure they are marking it up quite a bit.

I got mine here: (not related or affiliated even though we have the same name...lol)
http://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/index....product_id=356

They do rob a little depth on the cup holders. I will have to take measurements of the inserts. You can see in the one picture they have a small grommet which is nice incase someone spills something it's not going to go further than the cup holder since you do have to drill two holes in the bottoms of the cup holders to run the wires. There are only a couple people on here who have this and posted pictures. I will take better pictures once I progress more and have time. Maybe this weekend I will get to installing these or shortly after that. Should look cool. Will eliminate that huge dead spot in the console where everything else is lit up. They are white so it matches the rest of the interior which is cool. I'd actually prefer that the top most one didn't say "Lexus" on it, since the touch pad says that there is no need for Lexus to be here imho. I think manufactures brand and publish their name in WAY too many places on vehicles, it's annoying to me.

I will post pictures of which wires to tap as well to help anyone out. I do know some people took it to the dealer but personally this can't be hard so no need in spending a couple hundred for the dealer to rip apart the car to connect two wires.

Now the only thing I am unsure about is if I want to get my wife the JDM window visors... They are stupid expensive and I can't tell if they look good enough to justify that cost.

-Nigel
The following users liked this post:
skyshadow (03-20-18)
Old 03-20-18, 08:25 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Yeah, looking at that site, from the things I can get directly from Lexus there is quite a bit of a mark up.
Old 03-21-18, 06:14 AM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

Originally Posted by skyshadow
Yeah, looking at that site, from the things I can get directly from Lexus there is quite a bit of a mark up.
My only guess to that is that the items are in fact coming from Japan... so... it might be something like you order the floor mats (which you can get here), and wait for them to go all the way from Japan to here /customs...etc. That's the only reason what would make me think a lot of those items that are at least double the price than US market... but who knows?

-Nigel
Old 08-12-18, 08:30 PM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow YAY Pics installed!

Finally installed. Been too busy previously so they sat on my shelf for months..lol

I took apart the dash. Super easy to do and I ended up doing it about 3 more times trying to figure out why the navigation screen wouldn't turn on. Only to find out that the two connectors on the passenger side panel terminate to a connector. I didn't have it plugged in when testing so the screen and touch pad buttons didn't light up. Oh well figured that out no harm done.

Dash apart:

I initially had it tapped to the radio harness that illuminate to the headlights/parking lights. But then I got to thinking why not get them to dim like all the other lights. I took the connections off the radio harness and tapped the clock above. Now it dims with the rest of the lights when you dim the cabin lights, or make them brighter...etc.

Installation wasn't hard. I'd say in all reality this is a 3 out of 10. The hardest part was finding the correct 12v wire that would dim and turn on with headlights.

Looks really good at night. Brings some really nice mood lighting to the vehicle. Glad I bought them. A tad pricey but it's rare and you won't see many with these installed so it's cool.

Cabin lights on:

Full Brightness:

Brightness turned down all the way:

REALLY wish I had a better camera. These pictures suck. I will try and take better ones with my wife's iPhone and post them up.

-Nigel

Last edited by nigel821; 08-13-18 at 07:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MY2J (07-10-19)