2018 rav4 adventure

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-18, 09:18 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 2018 rav4 adventure

http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.c...re+pricing.htm

Seems like the tow package offerings are identical to the nx200t tow package, and we already know the awd system is the same, yet the new rav4 adventure can tow 3,500lbs (1500lbs more than the nx) and exactly the same as the Ford Escape 2.0ecoboost. is anyone aware of any structural changes to the platform? I don't think there are any. Seems like the nx's towing capacity is underrated, I always thought it was strange that the Ford Escape was rated to tow so much more even though its specs out very similar to the nx.
Old 01-17-18, 05:32 AM
Floorance
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The increase capacity is likely due to the upgraded radiator, engine oil and transmission fluid coolers. Nothing changed in the Rav4 in engine or transmission (not even brakes to account for the extra weight) Not sure if the NX can add these upgraded features or if they already have upgraded features, all i ever seen was factory tow hitches with or w/o wiring if i recall.
Old 01-17-18, 05:37 AM
gompka
Racer

I have already confirmed with Lexus corporate that the nx tow package has all the same upgrades, i have a post about it a couple months ago.
Old 01-17-18, 06:34 AM
Floorance
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to be pragmatic, has anyone confirmed with Lexus what the tow package really does? Verbiage exists on old brochure etc but its pretty vague, a few example seems to make it out as if the if you added the luxury package (which includes the tow package) gives it a rating at 2000lbs, that's WITH radiator/engine/trans cooler. What about cars w/o the tow package? That means somewhere something doesn't add up, any of the below could be a possibility:

1. Std NX has a capacity of 2000lb tow (without tow package and upgrades).... with the tow package one can Assume the number is higher but some reason its not stated anywhere.
2. Std NX doesn't have a capacity of 2000lb but only with a tow package w/upgrades does it have a 2000lb tow capability. Which begs to ask why the Rav 4 Adventure has more at 3500 (even if its lighter curb weight)
3. Regardless of the tow capacity of the NX, the new Rav4 Adventure has an even larger/newer/upgraded radiator/engine/transcooler then the one found in the NX and thus could actually give it a higher tow capability. I dont know part numbers or could even verify.

Either way I'm at a lost as well. Def would like to find out (even though I don't plan to town anything with my NX)

(from a 2015 product brochure)
  1. Luxury Package (includes Comfort and Premium Package)
    1.  Heated steering wheel
    2.  Leather-trimmed seats in Crème or Black with light gray contrast stitching
    3.  Linear Mocha wood trim
    4.  Power back door
    5.  Rain sensing wiper
    6.  Tow package (2,000 lbs.)
Old 01-17-18, 06:57 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Have you ever tried towing 2000lbs with a vehicle this size?

In addition to my NX, I also own an older 3rd gen Rav4 with the v6 with the tow package that's good for 3500lbs...even with 1500lbs behind it, you feel it.

If you really need to two 3000+lbs you're better off going up a size in vehicle so you have enough mass to control the load along with the bigger brakes/engine/etc that come with the next size up in the class.
Old 01-17-18, 07:07 AM
gompka
Racer

Lexus won't say anything in regards to the tow package other than that it includes an upgraded radiator and that you can tow up to 2000lbs with a tow package equipped car and trailer brakes. Since the tow package is only $150 and is installed at the factory, it makes sense that all we are getting is upgraded radiator and fans. The nx already comes standard with engine oil and transmission coolers.

What is funny is the standard rav4 available now can tow 1500lbs without any packages necessary and that is with a smaller 2.5L engine with 176 hp and 172 lb-ft. The nx on the other hand is now recommended for towing without the tow package (consisting of only an upgraded radiator).

I am not going to attempt to tow 3500lbs with the nx, but it just makes me feel much better about towing close to or slightly over the 2000 lb limit listed in the manual. What I am more interested in is the tongue weight capacity of the nx. The manual does not list a specific tongue weight, just that 10-11% of the trailer weight should be on the tongue. That gives us 200-220 lbs, and in the case of the new rav4 that number jumps to 350-385 which is quite a jump.

Personally, I think Lexus just threw out a standard "safe" number for the nx. Then once they saw there would be interest for towing they did more through testing and released the max numbers on the new rav4. We know the nx chasis is much more rigid and has more reinforcing metal and bracing than the rav4, that partly explains why the nx is quite a bit heavier. I wonder if Lexus will ever update the nx numbers or just leave them where they are, seeing as I had to go through a lot of trouble just to find out what the tow package on my vehicle includes, i doubt it.

I thought i would get the information out there for those interested, but for myself I am now 100% confident I can tow the 1700-1800 lb Scamp 13 i'm looking to get, and even fairly confident i can now go right up against the 220lb tongue weight and splurge on an extra battery or a bigger propane tank on the tongue.
Old 01-17-18, 07:13 AM
gompka
Racer

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
Have you ever tried towing 2000lbs with a vehicle this size?

In addition to my NX, I also own an older 3rd gen Rav4 with the v6 with the tow package that's good for 3500lbs...even with 1500lbs behind it, you feel it.

If you really need to two 3000+lbs you're better off going up a size in vehicle so you have enough mass to control the load along with the bigger brakes/engine/etc that come with the next size up in the class.
Actually, the rav4 v6 is very popular in the towing world and people tow quite large travel trailers without any complaints. Same goes for the Ford Escape 2.0 ecoboost, it is rated for 3500 lbs and people are easily towing 2500+ lb rv's and still getting great gas mileage doing it, even over the mountain passes in the west. The hardest part of towing is getting the load going, the huge advantage the nx has for towing is that it gets all of its 258ftlbs of tq at 1700 rpm. There is a guy on here who tows an alto safari condo ~ 1,700 dry, with an NX and says it tows like a dream, he hasn't come on for quite some time though so am not able to follow up with him.
Old 01-17-18, 08:27 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by gompka
Actually, the rav4 v6 is very popular in the towing world and people tow quite large travel trailers without any complaints. Same goes for the Ford Escape 2.0 ecoboost, it is rated for 3500 lbs and people are easily towing 2500+ lb rv's and still getting great gas mileage doing it, even over the mountain passes in the west. The hardest part of towing is getting the load going, the huge advantage the nx has for towing is that it gets all of its 258ftlbs of tq at 1700 rpm. There is a guy on here who tows an alto safari condo ~ 1,700 dry, with an NX and says it tows like a dream, he hasn't come on for quite some time though so am not able to follow up with him.
Yeah, it is a popular towing vehicle...but it's not like pulling a trailer with a full size truck (Tundra, etc) where you don't feel it.
Old 01-17-18, 08:33 AM
gompka
Racer

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
Yeah, it is a popular towing vehicle...but it's not like pulling a trailer with a full size truck (Tundra, etc) where you don't feel it.
True, not saying it tows like a truck, that is apples to oranges. The weight of the truck and the fact it is on a frame really makes a difference. Truth be told the torque of newer turbo cars really makes towing much nicer than it used to be with under powered naturally aspirated engines. Probably also depends on what you are towing because wind resistance and frontal area come into play if your towing a square box trailer. I wouldn't go up to the maximum that is for sure, but just glad to know the 2,000lb limit is underestimated and we can easily tow right at the max. Usually you want a 15% safety margin when towing and if you figure that into the 2000lb towing capacity it bumps you down to 1500lbs which is not enough to do much. There are a lot of light weight travel trailers right under the 2,000lb mark now a days that make towing much more enjoyable. I am still looking for the right deal, but will report back once i start towing mine.

I think most people get into trouble with braking, i definitely wouldn't tow with a small car when not using trailer brakes. Sure, it will stop the car and trailer, but how long will it take? My dad has a tundra and I know the brakes are designed for a much bigger load than the empty truck, its designed for doing real work on a much more frequent basis than something like the nx, which is more for the occasional weekend camping trip etc.

Last edited by gompka; 01-17-18 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-18-18, 09:02 AM
gompka
Racer

On a side note, the Lexus nx tow rating is based on SAE J2807 as is the rav4 (1500lb) rating, the rav4 adventure series 3500lb tow limit is not SAE J2807 certified as far as I can tell. The SAE J2807 is very important because it standardizes the way tow ratings are proven and prevents manufactures from basically making numbers up. The test is very rigorous and performed in conditions that most people will probably never encounter, so i am confident in our 2000 lb weight rating I am for other reasons going to test out the rav4 adventure upgraded springs on my nx in the future.